The Nissan 370Z

Started by 4wheelsonline, November 13, 2008, 12:39:08 AM

4wheelsonline

QuoteNearly every piece and component of the 370Z has been rethought and redesigned, including a shorter wheelbase, greater use of lightweight body materials, larger engine with 26 more hp, a new 7-speed automatic transmission and the world?s first synchronized downshift rev matching system for the 6-speed manual transmission...

MX793

The manual matches revs for you?  Hope you can turn that off.  It'll drive those of us who actually match revs on our own nuts.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

You're late.......check before posting.

SVT666

TBR

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 13, 2008, 04:26:16 AM
The manual matches revs for you?  Hope you can turn that off.  It'll drive those of us who actually match revs on our own nuts.

I would find that extremely annoying.

Exactly how does it know which gear you're going to downshift into, or whether or not you're going to downshift at all?

Interesting concept, but completely useless.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2008, 03:58:49 PM
I would find that extremely annoying.

Exactly how does it know which gear you're going to downshift into, or whether or not you're going to downshift at all?

Interesting concept, but completely useless.

Back when I was working for a trucking fleet, I seem to recall hearing that one of our rigs had a gearbox that would match revs for you.  Maybe I'm mistaken and it was just synchromeshed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 13, 2008, 05:12:37 PM
Back when I was working for a trucking fleet, I seem to recall hearing that one of our rigs had a gearbox that would match revs for you.  Maybe I'm mistaken and it was just synchromeshed.

Never heard of that, but there's lots i haven't heard of.

Still, I wonder: how would the computer know what I want to do? I mean, sometimes it could predict it perhaps: but it can't see a corner ahead or read my mind.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2008, 05:15:16 PM

Still, I wonder: how would the computer know what I want to do? I mean, sometimes it could predict it perhaps: but it can't see a corner ahead or read my mind.

Not yet....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on November 13, 2008, 05:18:46 PM
Not yet....

Imagine the horror of being so sentient and intelligent you can predict the future and read minds, but the only decisions you can ever make are things like "3rd gear or 5th, coast, or blip the throttle?"

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2008, 05:21:03 PM
Imagine the horror of being so sentient and intelligent you can predict the future and read minds, but the only decisions you can ever make are things like "3rd gear or 5th, coast, or blip the throttle?"

That's pretty much where I am right now. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2008, 05:15:16 PM

Maybe you put it in gear, let it rev match, and then let the clutch out.

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on November 13, 2008, 05:12:37 PM
Assuming the throttle is DBW, a setup like that would be a cheap way to extend the life of the synchros, since it would only require software changes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on November 13, 2008, 05:30:46 PM
Assuming the throttle is DBW, a setup like that would be a cheap way to extend the life of the synchros, since it would only require software changes.

Trucks? Synchros? Throttles? Softwares?

S204STi

If the transmission had a sensor pack either in the shifter detent it could tell the PCM which gear is being selected and match accordingly, but that would require that you declutch, stick the shift lever into the appropriate detent, and then wait for the PCM to rev match it for you before releasing the clutch again.  Sounds tedious when I can do it without too much thought on my own already.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on November 13, 2008, 06:26:20 PM
If the transmission had a sensor pack either in the shifter detent it could tell the PCM which gear is being selected and match accordingly, but that would require that you declutch, stick the shift lever into the appropriate detent, and then wait for the PCM to rev match it for you before releasing the clutch again.  Sounds tedious when I can do it without too much thought on my own already.

I couldn't even imagine downshifting without rev matching.  I tried to explain it to my friend once by showing him what happens, and the first three times I tried it, I rev matched. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on November 13, 2008, 06:29:08 PM
I couldn't even imagine downshifting without rev matching.  I tried to explain it to my friend once by showing him what happens, and the first three times I tried it, I rev matched. 

It's just part of being a competent driver, frankly. 

S204STi

Quote from: 4wheelsonline on November 13, 2008, 12:39:08 AM

That picture it not at all flattering.  Looks much better from the side or rear quarter...

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on November 13, 2008, 06:34:15 PM
That picture it not at all flattering.  Looks much better from the side or rear quarter...

Yeah, it looks bad there.  I don't think the yellow works for it either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Honestly this is the one time I wouldn't mind one of those conversion kits to make the car look like something else... :pee:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on November 13, 2008, 06:37:28 PM
Honestly this is the one time I wouldn't mind one of those conversion kits to make the car look like something else... :pee:

I wonder what Mitsuoka will do with this one........... ;)

Submariner

Nissan far and away wins the award for the worst head/tail lamp designs of the decade.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on November 13, 2008, 07:05:18 PM
Nissan far and away wins the award for the worst head/tail lamp designs of the decade.
wat
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

I wonder if someone will make the original 240 front fascia for this. :praise:

It already has the side profile, I'd imagine that the original front would only be an improvement. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

It's pretty simple IMO

When ur cruising it's no biggie.

When ur accelerating u have ur foot to the floor so rev matching is obviously not needed.

When u are playing Keichii Tsuchiya on your favorite mountain pass, odds are u will need to rev match during braking... ECU senses heavy braking, u press the clutch pedal in. Starter switch on the clutch sends signal to ECU, ECU says "hard braking + clutch in = rev match to previous gear". U aren't gonna downshift two gears in one gear change to get into a corner, at least unless you like changing motors.

Only other time u "need" to rev match is if ur on the highway gearing up to pass someone or just floor it. ECU can say, 'ok cruising in top gear at 60mph... clutch in, coasting, prob. looking to pass. Rev match for a 3rd gear downshift'. Cause really, 330HP in a car this size is enough to accelerate from any speed in any gear respectfully on the highway, so I can't imagine downshifting in this unless I wanna floor it/hear the engine scream.

Seems simple to me. I bet it will be implemented smoothly, Nissan wouldn't roll it out if it wasn't. And more importantly, for u Schumachers, it probably has an off button.

Like someone said it's most likely in the interest of gearbox life.

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 13, 2008, 07:48:44 PM
It's pretty simple IMO

When ur accelerating u have ur foot to the floor so rev matching is obviously not needed.

When u are playing Keichii Tsuchiya on your favorite mountain pass, odds are u will need to rev match during braking... ECU senses heavy braking, u press the clutch pedal in. Starter switch on the clutch sends signal to ECU, ECU says "hard braking + clutch in = rev match to previous gear". U aren't gonna downshift two gears in one gear change to get into a corner, at least unless you like changing motors.

Only other time u "need" to rev match is if ur on the highway gearing up to pass someone or just floor it. ECU can say, 'ok cruising in top gear at 60mph... clutch in, coasting, prob. looking to pass. Rev match for a 3rd gear downshift'. Cause really, 330HP in a car this size is enough to accelerate from any speed in any gear respectfully on the highway, so I can't imagine downshifting in this unless I wanna floor it/hear the engine scream.

Seems simple to me. I bet it will be implemented smoothly, Nissan wouldn't roll it out if it wasn't. And more importantly, for u Schumachers, it probably has an off button.

Why the hell did you just go an entire post using "u" instead of "you"???

Secondly, do you really think that I'd never need to downshift two gears to enter a corner? What if you're going from a straight away into a tight corner? Sure, you could do two quick downshifts, but sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like doing that.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 13, 2008, 08:09:32 PM
Why the hell did you just go an entire post using "u" instead of "you"???

Secondly, do you really think that I'd never need to downshift two gears to enter a corner? What if you're going from a straight away into a tight corner? Sure, you could do two quick downshifts, but sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like doing that.

I go 4-2 or 5-2 for corners all the time.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 13, 2008, 07:48:44 PM
It's pretty simple IMO

Where are all these blown up gearboxes they're trying to save us from anyways?

I'm sorry, but there's no way for the computer to know when you're going to stop braking and which gear you're going to be choosing. It could be as drastic as a 5 to 2 downshift

sportyaccordy

I'm guessing since NYC streets are mainly like +++++ I have never had the chance to do a 5-2 downshift. Again they could turn it off. Thinking about it more though it just seems like a stupid gimmick, but it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2008, 11:07:18 PM
Where are all these blown up gearboxes they're trying to save us from anyways?

I'm sorry, but there's no way for the computer to know when you're going to stop braking and which gear you're going to be choosing. It could be as drastic as a 5 to 2 downshift

All this could be done using an advanced shifter gate that has the ability to sense what gear the stick is about to be moved into. In alot of stick you can feel almost two resistance points as you slip it into a given gear. Now imagine if there was a sensor pack that could sense this "initial" movement and then rev match by the time the stick is fully moved into the gear position. This would mean it would be able to match any compination because it isn't thinking which gear you came from, just where you are going. All the computer needs to see is that the shifter is starting to be moved into 3rd and then match the revs for the speed in that gear. Complicated, yes. Pointless, to me. Novelty, certainly. If executed well it could be a "good" feature meaning it wouldn't completely piss you off(GM skip shift anyone?). I think it is completely possible and even possible to integrate it well enough as to make it seem "natural". I personally would care for it though.