Advise me on this MGB!

Started by Rupert, November 13, 2008, 07:56:39 PM

Rupert

Haha, there's an X1/9 for sale on the 'list. :lol: It's $7500, though. But, check this out:

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/913433221.html

1973 Fiat spyder convertible w/hard top - $1 (emmett)

This is a 1973 Fiat spyder convertible that is in good condition... Not only does it have the soft top but it also comes with a hard top too.. It has new tires, brake pads, brake calipers, fuel pump,Rebuilt carb, air filter,Battery alternater, clutch cable, sensors, all fluids have been replaced front to rear.. It is a 5 speed and a blast to drive.. The interior could use a little work but everything works on the car and it runs like a champ.... The soft top is complete bu needs to be replaced.. a new too runs between $179.00 for Vinyl up to $380.00 for cloth. Originally bought car for wife but she is too short to reach the pedals with the seat all the way forward so bought her a different car so now we have too many vehicles in a sub division (7 inc. motorcycle trailer) Have to liquidate this and snowmobiles..
I will post more pics here in the next few days
If you have anymore questions you can e-mail me or call me

$2000.00 o.b.o.

Emailed. :ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Dude's still got the Fiat, so I'm gonna look at it, hopefully today. If it's as nice as it sounds in the ad, there's no reason not to buy it...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on November 15, 2008, 11:52:48 AM
Dude's still got the Fiat, so I'm gonna look at it, hopefully today. If it's as nice as it sounds in the ad, there's no reason not to buy it...

just like there's no reason not to buy this:

Rupert

Ha! That would be awesome to have.

ChrisV always said how good a car his Fiat was, so it can't be too terrible (unless it's in bad shape, in which case, it ain't worth no $2k). :lol:

Laconian

Take that with a grain of salt. ChrisV has a very hard time saying anything bad about any car.

Are there any Italian auto mechanics around that can inspect the car?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

If the ad is all true, it sounds like a wicked deal. I'd buy it.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on November 15, 2008, 01:23:47 AM
And, since we're on the topic, I have a preliminary list of cars to keep an eye out for: MGB, 2002, old GTI, 914, Miata, MR2, (Beetle, Saab 99-- not quite the right kind of car for the moment), various Fiats, various Datsuns, Alfa Spyder (or is it Spider?)...

What else should be on there? You can tell that my criteria are small, sports car or GT, light, cheap, has character. The aforementioned Opel doesn't make it because, though there is lots of character in a car like that, parts are kind of hard to find (I think) and probably expensive.

I believe it's "Spider" for Alfas. 

Keep your eyes open for the MkI and MkII GTIs, as Evo says the MkII is even better than the first generation.  I'd also look at Sciroccos and 924s.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on November 15, 2008, 12:34:10 PM
Take that with a grain of salt. ChrisV has a very hard time saying anything bad about any car.

:hesaid:

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on November 15, 2008, 12:34:10 PM

Haha, true. There might be a mechanic nearby, but I'm not too worried. I'm willing to fix some stuff.

Rupert

I talked to the guy. Looks like tomorrow is the day.

He says the soft top is shot, but it's got a hard top, so whatever. The interior is in rough shape. There's a little bit of rust, of course. Apparently, the starter is kind of crappy (so he's taking a couple hundred off the price... I can probably get another hundred off). He says he drove it all summer. It sounds like the car is worth about what he's asking, which is more or less fine. Definitely worth looking at and test driving. :ohyeah:

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Byteme

As with the MGB, check for rust, compression, heck about the same things as the MGB.  I restored a 68 124 sport spider and a 78 124 sport spider.  Earlier years are better than later IMHO.  Most parts are still available and fairly cheap. 

Given the choice I'd take the Fiat over the MGB.  It's a prettier car, is more practical, and a bit more fun.  It has an Italian Flavor.

And, you can strip and pull the engine without a hoist.  Pull off everything, head, starter, water pump everything and you can straddle the block and pick it up out of the engine bay.  Probably why I have back problems today. 

Rupert

Thanks Byteme!

I think I'd take the Fiat over the MG, too. Good thing...

As far as the compression goes, I don't have a tester. Is there another sufficient technique? (Park on a hill in gear with the e-brake off and see if it rolls, etc.). Seems to me that the larger issue would be even compression through the cylinders...

'73 seems to be a good year, with a larger engine than the earlier cars, but without the larger number of unique parts as those cars, and no stupid emissions stuff to take off like the later cars. I've done some reading. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on November 15, 2008, 07:51:46 PM
Thanks Byteme!

I think I'd take the Fiat over the MG, too. Good thing...

As far as the compression goes, I don't have a tester. Is there another sufficient technique? (Park on a hill in gear with the e-brake off and see if it rolls, etc.). Seems to me that the larger issue would be even compression through the cylinders...

'73 seems to be a good year, with a larger engine than the earlier cars, but without the larger number of unique parts as those cars, and no stupid emissions stuff to take off like the later cars. I've done some reading. :lol:

A compression tester is like $30, and not a bad investment.

Rupert

Well, maybe I'll pick one up before I head out.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on November 15, 2008, 08:12:05 PM
Well, maybe I'll pick one up before I head out.

Maybe. It might also be a PITA. If the engine runs smoothly, has good power and doesn't smoke, I wouldn't even bother. But that's just me. If you do get it, make sure it has the right size adapter to fit a Fiat spark plug hole.

Rupert

It occurs that I don't have my tools here, and I don't wanna count on this guy to let me use his...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on November 15, 2008, 08:36:12 PM
It occurs that I don't have my tools here, and I don't wanna count on this guy to let me use his...

Should be fine if you can just look at it and tell whether or not it's running well. I have a compression tester, but I've never used it specifically for buying a car.

Rupert

And look at all the awesome cars you've owned. ;) :lol:

Rupert

I checked the Fiat out today, gave it a test drive and all. The rust isn't too bad, just on the rocker panels and a couple of half dollar spots on the rear quarters. The interior is not so great, with a munched console, worn seats, formerly white panels, and a two crappy tops. The soft top is gone, no bringing it back, and the hard top is kinda funky with the door-window interaction. There are some places where it would leak. There was water in the trunk that he blamed on having the trunk partly open while he washed it yesterday, and there was some water in the spark plug wells that he blamed on the hood being partly open. That struck me as a bit fishy. Leaks and interior things aren't a huge deal, and neither is the rust.

The car runs fine and drives fine, though there's a slight pull right. The brakes are fine (since they're new, I sure hope so). The engine doesn't make any odd sounds, and it's pretty smooth. There's some leaky and rattly exhaust stuff going on, though. There's a bit of an oil seep from the head gasket (I think it's the head gasket; the one below the camshaft cover gasket). The rear diff seemed to be leaking a little bit from the seal where the driveshaft goes into the diff case. The clutch was very stiff, but I think that's OK. The biggest problem, though, was the shifter. I'm not sure how it's supposed to feel, so maybe it's not really a problem, but the shifter was really sloppy. Kind of hard to find gears, lots of play (almost as much in a gear as in neutral). I'm not buying a car with a shitty transmission, so any ideas?

I think, avoiding the shifting issue and maybe the rear diff issue, that after the new soft top, new seats and interior panels, new console and dashboard veneer, and some other assorted things (trunk lock doesn't exist), the car would be pretty good. The tires suck, but they have plenty of tread. Oh, and the starter issue, which didn't happen for me, so I have no idea about it.

Soup DeVille

The only thing I would really concentrate on is the body work being solid. All else can be fixed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I magnet checked around the wheel wells and other typical rusty areas, and looked under the car pretty well. I think the above mentioned places are the only ones.

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on November 16, 2008, 03:34:52 PM
I magnet checked around the wheel wells and other typical rusty areas, and looked under the car pretty well. I think the above mentioned places are the only ones.

Then I'd get it. Unless of course, you find something better, but it sounds like a good deal to me.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I likely will. My parents, whom I'm living with for the next few weeks are the opposite of thrilled, but I basically told them tough shit. Not the greatest adult thing to say, but, well, tough shit. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on November 16, 2008, 03:43:25 PM
I likely will. My parents, whom I'm living with for the next few weeks are the opposite of thrilled, but I basically told them tough shit. Not the greatest adult thing to say, but, well, tough shit. :lol:

S'oK. Adults say a lot of childish things when they don't think there are kids around.

Onslaught

Quote from: Psilos on November 16, 2008, 03:43:25 PM
My dad would put me through a wall if I said something like that. And then I'd be homeless.