Finally a new McLaren!

Started by the Teuton, November 15, 2008, 11:32:17 PM

the Teuton

Saying "we can?t reveal our sources, for obvious reasons," U.K. publication CAR yesterday released what it claims are accurate pictures of an early clay model of McLaren's next supercar, the P11. The new vehicle is purported to continue the tradition of the legendary F1 (fastest production car from 1994 to 2005, according to Wikipedia), but ring in at a much saner price point, competing with the likes of Ferrari's F430 and Lamborghini's Gallardo.

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/blogs/marty_blog/concept-cars/mclaren-p11-spy-shots-released-by-uks-car/

w00t!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

There's no way it will be as cool as the F1.

The F1 had an engine bay lined with gold. 'nuff said.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 15, 2008, 11:37:35 PM
There's no way it will be as cool as the F1.

The F1 had an engine bay lined with gold. 'nuff said.

It's also going to cost maybe 1/4 of the price, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on November 15, 2008, 11:38:36 PM

That makes it less cool.

Any self-indulgent weiner can own an F430.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 15, 2008, 11:40:09 PM
That makes it less cool.

I'd still argue that there are few cars that have as much prestige as a McLaren and are as rare.  I think this car will be so much more than anything an F430 has ever been.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 15, 2008, 11:40:09 PM
That makes it less cool.

lol at Gone in 60 Seconds reference.

omicron

It would want to look a bit more interesting than that, mind.

SVT666

Unless the driver sits in the middle with passenger seats on both sides, it's not a real McLaren.

Submariner

P11 is the codename for the Mercedes/McLaren concept...before the went their separate ways.

Anyways...Part of the F1's appeal is it rarity, it's unique setup, and it's price.  I hope this changes none of that...but It appears as if it will.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

That picture could not say "Insert Generic Supercar Picture Here" more.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on November 16, 2008, 01:26:40 PM
That picture could not say "Insert Generic Supercar Picture Here" more.

True, but then again, the F1 wasn't a wild looking car. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on November 16, 2008, 01:51:45 PM

But it didn't look like every upstart supercar.  It's distinct compared to the cars of its era.  This looks like an Artega.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

This looks like an "F1 Lite."  All of the basic design looks similar, but it's modernized obviously cheaper.  It's not going to look like the F1 to the Nth degree.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on November 15, 2008, 11:38:36 PM
More than that when you factor in inflation.

SVT666

Quote from: Submariner on November 16, 2008, 01:51:45 PM
Have you ever seen one in person?  Damn is it ever cool.  Pictures never did that car justice.

Catman

the Teuton

2o6

It looks quite generic to me. Could easily have a badge of some other make.

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on November 16, 2008, 06:16:40 PM
It looks quite generic to me. Could easily have a badge of some other make.

Why I agree that it seams generic but for god sake what easily recognasible authentic design elements would you be looking in a brand that has had only 1 ... ok 2 products so far.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

SVT666

Quote from: AltinD on November 17, 2008, 09:51:39 AM
Why I agree that it seams generic but for god sake what easily recognasible authentic design elements would you be looking in a brand that has had only 1 ... ok 2 products so far.
Technically, McLaren has only had one.  They built and did engineering work on the SLR, but it's a Mercedes-Benz design.  The F1 is the only true McLaren so far.

sportyaccordy

Doesn't really have the same excitement of the first car.

They should work with a manufacturer to make a fun to drive car for the masses (i.e. Lotus Cortina)

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 17, 2008, 01:01:05 PM
Doesn't really have the same excitement of the first car.

They should work with a manufacturer to make a fun to drive car for the masses (i.e. Lotus Cortina)

They did that with Mercedes. 

Don't most people have $450,000 to blow on a daily driver?

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FordSVT

If they have a "budget" price point, this car can never be as special as the F1 was. The entire reason that car existed was because Gordon Murray wanted to build the ultimate, no-compromises, road-going supercar. Sophisticated manufacturing processes, expensive and exotic materials that are still rarely seen on a production car to this day. They didn't care how much it cost, they simply wanted to create the ultimate supercar. And they did, I think the only two super cars that can compete with it as far as prestige and auto-celebrity go are the Enzo and maybe the Veyron.

Will it be fast? Definitely, but it looks to be "just another" Murci, F430, Koenig, etc. competitor. Big motor, light materials, lots of grip, slippery body, lots of electronics probably, but not as unique as it's forbearer.

I beg to be proven wrong, but for a quarter million I just don't see it.

Laconian

I think some of the most clever engineering comes from working around constraints. :huh:

I am looking forward to seeing what an unfettered McLaren can do for $200k. The SLR was impressive even with all the Mercedes plushness; imagine what they are capable of when they leave that baggage behind!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FordSVT

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2008, 05:02:43 PM
I think some of the most clever engineering comes from working around constraints. :huh:

I am looking forward to seeing what an unfettered McLaren can do for $200k. The SLR was impressive even with all the Mercedes plushness; imagine what they are capable of when they leave that baggage behind!

It's not just about "clever engineering". "Clever engineering" keeps an old Volkswagen Bus together with duct tape. The F1 was about pushing the boundaries of production car design. Materials cost money, new techniques cost money. It wasn't about doing something everyone else was doing in a slightly different way, it was about things no one else had done. Uniqueness has a price.

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 16, 2008, 05:20:39 PM
Have you ever seen one in person?  Damn is it ever cool.  Pictures never did that car justice.

What surprised me most when I saw the first one was how small it is.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on November 20, 2008, 05:03:44 PM
What surprised me most when I saw the first one was how small it is.
Yeah.  That shocked me too.  I have a picture of me standing beside it and the top of the scoop on the roof is at my belt.  I also have a picture of me sitting in it where I have 4" of space above my head.  It shocked me how much head room it had until I tried to get out and realized my ass was only 4" off the ground.

FordSVT

They are surprisingly roomy compared to the Diablo and Viper that I have sat in, the only two cars I've been in that I'd call remotely viable for that kind of comparison. And not just because of the wing seats, the driving position is very good.