Another "Which SUV" advice request.

Started by Morris Minor, November 16, 2008, 09:23:01 AM

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: CJ on November 16, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

It's a Blazer.  Those things are the deadliest cars on record.  I don't remember where I saw that, but it holds the title of vehicle with the most deaths.  What year is your brothers Tahoe and how heavily does he drive it?

His is a 1999.......he drives it every day to work.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 16, 2008, 06:19:09 PM
Mein oder auto ist ein pinzgauer!

My or car is a Pingauer?

I think you mean "andere."
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 16, 2008, 06:38:47 PM
Yes, yes I did.

I haven't spoken German in months.  People say I'll forget it.  Bullcrap.

:praise:

The Pirate

Hmm, I'd probably go for an Xterra.  I rather like the Escape as well, I'd probably buy one of those before I bought an Explorer (I think it looks 'rugged' enough to fulfill the testosterone requirement). 

FWIW, there's an Army recruiting center very near where I work.  I don't know how it is at the Academy (you'd certainly know better), but there doesn't seem to be a huge domestic push there.  Two of the guys at that office drive Tacomas and a 3rd has a Maxima.  On that note, my vote is for a Toyota Tacoma!  :lol:

Seriously though, would he do a pickup?  No fuel economy penalty relative to a true SUV, and they are so damn handy.  I'd look at a Tacoma, Ranger or Frontier.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MaxPower

the Teuton

Quote from: MaxPower on November 18, 2008, 05:49:37 PM
Nobody's mentioned the H3 yet?

Used, they're a great buy.  New, OTOH....

uhh.....no.

Laconian

The H3 is compromised in so many practical aspects it's not even funny. There are ton of other more vanilla SUVs I'd rather have at the same price point.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on November 18, 2008, 07:48:13 PM
The H3 is compromised in so many practical aspects it's not even funny. There are ton of other more vanilla SUVs I'd rather have at the same price point.

Like a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with the Freedom top and a 6-speed manual?

sparkplug

Get him a pink Volkswagen Beetle convertible. It just reeks of manliness.

I know this has already been mentioned but I'm kind of impressed by the H3. The five cylinder is only 3.5 liters but it should deliver decent mileage for it's weight and class.

Otherwise get a Ford Explorer.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

the Teuton

I have to ask:  How new of a car are we looking for?

Morris Minor

Quote from: the Teuton on November 19, 2008, 10:06:12 PM
I have to ask:  How new of a car are we looking for?
Thanks for the suggestions folks. The Xterra or Pathfinder look to be good possibilities - made in the USA. As to "how new?"... I'm thinking something that is just off lease from a dealer that is keen to unload newly-unfashionable SUVs at attractive prices. So, two or three years old, which would put it around model year 2005 or 6.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

the Teuton

Yeah, one of the Nissans would fit that bill very nicely since their resale isn't quite up there with Toyota's.  Let someone else take the hit.

the Teuton

Cherokees are loud, unrefined, outdated, and cramped, but they're awesome.  At least look at them.

Tave

The 4.0 is one of the smoothest truck engines I've been around. I would love to have that beast.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on November 21, 2008, 11:21:37 AM
The 4.0 is one of the smoothest truck engines I've been around. I would love to have that beast.

Interesting note: The V8s used in Toyota trucks are the exact same engines as those used in Lexus cars, except that the Lexus engines use tighter tolerances.

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 21, 2008, 12:17:39 PM
Interesting note: The V8s used in Toyota trucks are the exact same engines as those used in Lexus cars, except that the Lexus engines use tighter tolerances.

No they aren't.

5.7l:
Sequoia
Tundra
Land Cruiser
LX570

4.7l:
GX470
Tundra
Sequioa

4.6l
GS460
LS460

4.3l
SC430

Note- But at least the 4.3l and 4.7l belong to the same family. I am pretty sure the 4.6l and 5.7l are the first V8s in two different families.

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on November 21, 2008, 04:57:39 PM
No they aren't.

5.7l:
Sequoia
Tundra
Land Cruiser
LX570

4.7l:
GX470
Tundra
Sequioa

4.6l
GS460
LS460

4.3l
SC430

Note- But at least the 4.3l and 4.7l belong to the same family. I am pretty sure the 4.6l and 5.7l are the first V8s in two different families.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine

There are differences, but they are all the same family.  As well, the previous UZ family had similar sharing among Lexus and certain Toyota trucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine

Damn, beat by iffy!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

I trust wikipedia for nothing when it comes to technical matters.

TBR

Nonetheless, they aren't exactly the same. :tounge:

WookieOnRitalin

What about a Suzuki Grand Vitara? I know that's the second time I've mentioned it, but it's masculine and a true off road machine with 4WD, comfortable cabin, room for hauling, superior towing capacity for the class, and uses a timing chain instead of belt (low maintenance). Seems like the perfect compromise.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on November 21, 2008, 06:20:30 PM
Nonetheless, they aren't exactly the same. :tounge:

I apologize. When I was working for Toyota, one of the projects my office (and I) were working on was adapting a 3UR line so that it could make 3UR and 1UR engines. At that time, they were planning on replacing the 4.7L UZ with the 4.6L 1UR with for use in the Tacoma and Tundra (all of our engines went to trucks). I don't know if those plans are still intact however, since I heard that one of the two project my office was working on got canceled.

But yeah, I saw the part drawings for the Lexus-bound 1UR and the Tundra/Tacoma-bound 1UR, and the only differences were in the tolerances, at least in the parts that our plant machined (block, crank, cam, head, con-rod).

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 23, 2008, 10:21:27 AM
I apologize. When I was working for Toyota, one of the projects my office (and I) were working on was adapting a 3UR line so that it could make 3UR and 1UR engines. At that time, they were planning on replacing the 4.7L UZ with the 4.6L 1UR with for use in the Tacoma and Tundra (all of our engines went to trucks). I don't know if those plans are still intact however, since I heard that one of the two project my office was working on got canceled.

But yeah, I saw the part drawings for the Lexus-bound 1UR and the Tundra/Tacoma-bound 1UR, and the only differences were in the tolerances, at least in the parts that our plant machined (block, crank, cam, head, con-rod).

With the current truck market it probably doesn't make sense to invest so much so they can produce another truck engine (though a V8 Tacoma would be sweet indeed) since the two newer engines are already very good.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on November 23, 2008, 10:27:23 AM
With the current truck market it probably doesn't make sense to invest so much so they can produce another truck engine (though a V8 Tacoma would be sweet indeed) since the two newer engines are already very good.

I'm not sure, but I think it was the other project that got canceled (which was building a second 3UR line). A lot of the work for the 1UR/3UR line had already been done when I left right before Christmas 2007, and I thought that start of production was scheduled for summer 2008, but that could have changed.

I guess my point is that the large majority of the investment cost had already been done. There was no design cost since it was just a Lexus, and many of the machines had already been (or were going to be within a couple weeks after me leaving) modified.

TBR

Maybe they're using the engines in Lexus's instead.