Ford Fusion unwrapped

Started by SVT666, November 19, 2008, 09:15:47 AM

SVT666

2010 Ford Fusion: full reveal

Following the release of a single photo in late October, Ford on Wednesday took the wraps off its 2010 Fusion sedan at the LA auto show. The restyled Fusion and its Mercury Milan sister boast new and improved powertrains, plus some significant exterior and interior changes.

On the surface, the Fusion gets new front- and rear-end styling ? enough of a facelift that, from some angles, it looks like a whole new model. The edgy grille continues Ford?s ?three-bar? chrome design cue in what?s bound to be a polarizing expansion of the theme.

Under its reshaped hood, the Fusion gets three powertrain options for 2010 - replacing the outgoing two motor lineup. The top two models will be equipped with a 6F35 six-speed automatic transmission with a manual shift gate. The entry-level four-cylinder version will come standard with a six-speed manual.

For 2010, the base four is upgraded to a 2.5-liter unit pumping out 175 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque with variable intake variable cam timing, new exhaust manifolds, and electronic throttle control. Ford says efficiency is up about 10 percent over the 2009 Fusion?s 20/28 city/highway mpg, though exact figures haven?t been released yet.

The next step up is a modified 3.0 liter V6 that puts out 240 horsepower and 228 pound-feet of torque. A new air induction system and torque-actuated variable cam timing help boost power. The new cam design uses torsional energy instead of pressurized oil to phase the camshaft, which Ford says will helps save a bit of fuel, as well as improve response time.

The 3.0 V6 is also E85-capable. Ford says fuel economy is up 4 to 6 percent over the 2009 model.
New for 2010 is a 3.5-liter V6 ? standard on the ?Sport? model. With 263 horsepower and 249 pound-feet of torque on tap, it is essentially the same V6 used in the Flex, Edge and a handful of other Ford vehicles.

The 2.5- and 3.0-liter Fusions will come with available electronic power steering. What?s more, the 3.0 features an extra-aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff that Ford says will also come on 2.5-liter models late in 2010.

SVT666

If it would come with a black chrome package, I would take it.

EDIT:  Yes, I am doing a full reversal on my last posting.  Having seen more pictures from different angles, I'm starting to really like it.

ifcar

The rear looks so busy, but at least they lost the white taillights. Had they moved the license plate area down and not reshaped the lights, it would have been quite attractive. Even as it is, it's a vast improvement.

TBR

I really like this, if only they would offer the 3.5 with a 6MT.

GoCougs

With this much effort spent on a 2010, it tells me there won't be an all-new Fusion for 2011.

C'mon Detroit. Your competition is on a five year cycle. (Meh - they know this.)

FoMoJo

That's quite a facelift.  I'm glad that they're leaning towards the solid Euro look rather than the tortured metal look of most of the imports.  As well, it's great that they, finally, have a sensible engine choice for all.  I wonder when the EcoBoost version of these engines will be available.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on November 19, 2008, 09:19:59 AM
The rear looks so busy, but at least they lost the white taillights. Had they moved the license plate area down and not reshaped the lights, it would have been quite attractive. Even as it is, it's a vast improvement.

It's close, but not quite right. The basic shape is nice, but why do they have to make it looks so weird?

If you use your finger to cover up the bottom bar on the grille, it looks much, much better from the front.

Danish

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 19, 2008, 10:21:12 AM
If you use your finger to cover up the bottom bar on the grille, it looks much, much better from the front.

I tried this but I couldn't really make out what it would look like without the bottom bar.

My finger was in the way.
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

ifcar

FlatBlackCaddy

Front end looks great, looks very mazdaish in the lower fascia. Love the front, back is stupid. It's good that ford is still pushing product(in fact harder then ever). They need fresh(er) product to draw in sales and turn things around.

Cookie Monster

I like it overall, but the grille looks idiotic and the trunklid has too many lines going through it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

I took 30 seconds to make this in paint, but you get the idea:

Why couldn't they just give it a normal grille?

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 19, 2008, 12:35:45 PM

Good work...but the front bumper looks too fat.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Vinsanity

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 19, 2008, 01:22:17 PM
Good work...but the front bumper looks too fat.

I think its fine; much better than the real one, which I think looks better than the current model anyway.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

There's always the Mercury version, I suppose.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 19, 2008, 10:23:18 PM
There's always the Mercury version, I suppose.

of which the current model looks wayy better

Byteme

Quote from: thecarnut on November 19, 2008, 10:50:52 AM
I like it overall, but the grille looks idiotic and the trunklid has too many lines going through it.

The rear would look a lot less busy without the useless spoiler.

r0tor

big improvement in the front... not so much in the rear
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Don't like the bling on the front.

Tave

I like it. Then again, I like the current model.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hotrodalex

Looks nice. The lights look a lot like last-gen Focus lights, but they're not bad. My only complaint is the top of the trunk it too busy. The main trunk creases are fine, but get rid of some of the stuff at the top.

Tave

The lines are there to take some size away from the rear, but there might be a better way to do it. Maybe just move some of the emblems beneath the license plate and smooth out the surrounding metal.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Catman

Meh, looks like an old car with a new grille.  Thumbs down.

Eye of the Tiger

I knew this was going to happen

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

USA_Idol

Quote from: ifcar on November 19, 2008, 10:38:05 AM
Look at this photo of the new Milan:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/11/15_milan2010.jpg

Look at the guy in the driver's seat.

I actually like the Milan.  And I'm nowhere near that old.

Of course, if I were choosing between the two, I'd still look at Fusion first.   :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 19, 2008, 12:35:45 PM

That actually looks really good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

USA_Idol