So much for Toyota reliability...

Started by sportyaccordy, December 01, 2008, 09:03:09 AM

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 02, 2008, 11:27:56 AM
They have to replace the whole tranny...

I've seen numerous tranny repairs, rather than replacements, actually.  It all depends on what failed and how badly.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2008, 11:36:48 AM
One AT failure, and the whole of the company is indicted? Have we ever seen this before???

No automakers making millions of cars a year will build each one perfect. It's statistically impossible.

FWIW, a design flaw (if that's what this is) is not a reliability issue per se...

Yeah, it's worse than a reliability issue...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2008, 11:36:48 AM
One AT failure, and the whole of the company is indicted? Have we ever seen this before???

No automakers making millions of cars a year will build each one perfect. It's statistically impossible.

FWIW, a design flaw (if that's what this is) is not a reliability issue per se...

How is it not a reliability issue? There is a very important part of the car that is critical to its functionality that is prone to failure... that doesn't seem very... reliable... to me

And I think it's a fair indictment, in combination with the engine sludge issue. How confident would you feel jumping in a car in which the transmission could fail at any minute?

AltinD

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 01, 2008, 12:03:17 PM
Altin, your sig is enormous.

It's forum software problem. It was not dissproportionate before and I certanly didn't change it.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 03, 2008, 11:40:18 AM
How is it not a reliability issue? There is a very important part of the car that is critical to its functionality that is prone to failure... that doesn't seem very... reliable... to me

And I think it's a fair indictment, in combination with the engine sludge issue. How confident would you feel jumping in a car in which the transmission could fail at any minute?

Yes, yes - anecdote-as-data is always fun.

At best your thread should've been a tirade against an old, aging, high-mileage first gen RX300...

Champ

My money is on sporty accidentally hitting the shifter to neutral.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2008, 02:39:58 PM
Yes, yes - anecdote-as-data is always fun.

At best your thread should've been a tirade against an old, aging, high-mileage first gen RX300...

I posted a link earlier in the thread, there are plenty of RX300 owners who have had their trannies fail. I also posted a link showing what the design flaw was... I suppose that was anecdoatal too?