So what's it like to work at GM right now?

Started by Laconian, December 03, 2008, 11:56:46 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TBR on December 04, 2008, 07:29:40 PM
I thought it was just employees? If it isn't, then you're definitely right.

Nope.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

nickdrinkwater

I worked for a car company for a year and there were no stupid rules such as not being able to park as close if you didn't drive a car which was made by the company.

Byteme

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 05, 2008, 07:03:18 AM
I worked for a car company for a year and there were no stupid rules such as not being able to park as close if you didn't drive a car which was made by the company.

I knew a guy who worked at the Chrysler Assembly Plant outside St. Louis.   He told me in the late 60's-early 70's foreign cars parked in the hourly employees' lot were frequently vandalized, and their owners were shunned.

TBR

Quote from: Byteme on December 05, 2008, 09:28:22 AM
I knew a guy who worked at the Chrysler Assembly Plant outside St. Louis.   He told me in the late 60's-early 70's foreign cars parked in the hourly employees' lot were frequently vandalized, and their owners were shunned.

That's absurd, but I can certainly understand why management wouldn't want their employees driving non-GM cars.

Rich

Quote from: TBR on December 04, 2008, 07:29:40 PM
I thought it was just employees? If it isn't, then you're definitely right.

When I visited the Bowling Green plant for the tour, I had to park my MINI in a separate lot in the back 40

:lol:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Byteme

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 05, 2008, 11:00:43 AM
When I visited the Bowling Green plant for the tour, I had to park my MINI in a separate lot in the back 40

I don't remember those signs when we took the tour in the summer of 03 or 04.

They still giving the plastic key chain in the shapr of a corvette as the keepsake for the tour?

Rich

Quote from: Byteme on December 05, 2008, 11:16:57 AM
I don't remember those signs when we took the tour in the summer of 03 or 04.

They still giving the plastic key chain in the shapr of a corvette as the keepsake for the tour?

No  :(

I went in April of '07
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Lebowski

At the bowling green plant, I believe there is a tiered parking system with GM cars closest, then non-GM domestics, and imports way out in the boonies.  I think they may have some very close up spots just for corvettes (they definately do at the museum across the street, I can't recall if they have them at the plant too).

Byteme, you got jipped.  I got a C6 as my tour keepsake, and it did come with two sets of keys + fobs. :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on December 05, 2008, 11:45:48 AM
At the bowling green plant, I believe there is a tiered parking system with GM cars closest, then non-GM domestics, and imports way out in the boonies.  I think they may have some very close up spots just for corvettes (they definately do at the museum across the street, I can't recall if they have them at the plant too).

Byteme, you got jipped.  I got a C6 as my tour keepsake, and it did come with two sets of keys + fobs. :lol:

Was it free?    :evildude:

Lebowski

Quote from: Byteme on December 05, 2008, 11:50:01 AM
Was it free?    :evildude:

Yes.  It was the free keepsake that came with my $50k admission.

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on December 05, 2008, 11:51:39 AM
Yes.  It was the free keepsake that came with my $50k admission.

:lol:  Sweet. 

I've done many industrial tours, both in college and afterwards.  I've got to admit the Corvette Plant was one of the better ones.  And the price, free, was hard to beat.  The River Rouge plant was something like $20 a head. 

Lebowski

Quote from: Byteme on December 05, 2008, 11:56:19 AM
:lol:  Sweet. 

I've done many industrial tours, both in college and afterwards.  I've got to admit the Corvette Plant was one of the better ones.  And the price, free, was hard to beat.  The River Rouge plant was something like $20 a head. 

It was a pretty cool tour, if you're into that sort of thing (I am).  When you do the museum delivery it's pretty sweet, it's a private guided tour of the plant (just me and my dad and a guide), at whatever pace you want ... you can spend the whole day in there asking questions if you want to.  Afterwards it's the same deal for the corvette museum, but that's not nearly as cool as the plant.

Vinsanity

I love how the only other vehicles in that pic are a Ford truck and a rednecked-out Ford truck :tounge:

omicron

I'm astonished.

hotrodalex

When I went there with my parents (years back) I don't think we had to park in a different lot. Of course I don't remember what car we drove. We might have driven my mom's Saturn, so...

Lebowski

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 06, 2008, 05:42:25 PM
When I went there with my parents (years back) I don't think we had to park in a different lot. Of course I don't remember what car we drove. We might have driven my mom's Saturn, so...

The different lots are for plant employees, I don't think it applies to tourists.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Lebowski on December 07, 2008, 12:47:29 PM
The different lots are for plant employees, I don't think it applies to tourists.

HotRodPilot said he had to park in a different lot when he visited.