Want a free Caliber?

Started by SVT666, December 10, 2008, 09:25:48 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on December 10, 2008, 02:25:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Z4BTyQkvs
TOO TOUGH

I just had to be reminded of their "hit it! rangangurumba" thing at the end of that thing, didn't I.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

I sat in a srt caliper at the auto show, and I thought the interior was much better tjan a yaris, anyway. Also, there was plenty of knee room
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 10, 2008, 02:25:21 PM
It would still be better than the '86 Ranger I used to drive in the winter.
A buddy of mine had an '87 Ranger, and I quite liked it.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 10, 2008, 02:50:59 PM
A buddy of mine had an '87 Ranger, and I quite liked it.

My '91 (4.0 V6, 5-speed, 4x4) was a pretty good truck.  I still sort of wish I had it.

And I've not driven the Caliber, but I don't think I'd take a free one, unless I could resell it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

If the Caliber was completely free (including gas, insurance, all maintenance), I'd consider it. Otherwise, hellz no.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2008, 12:53:37 PM
A car can be ugly and still be good though (Sam Cassell faced WRX)

Guys,

Suppose you could have a Caliber for free. Like absolutely free. But you HAD to drive it regularly. Would you take it?

Best description for that car ever.   :lol:  They both look like little bug eyed aliens.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

I love my car because it's cheap to run, reliable, relatively nice, and I don't have to worry about the car getting dinged up in city life.  Even with a fresh coat of paint on it, I still don't think I'd worry about a Caliber getting beaten to hell.  In fact, I might have to encourage it. 

I wouldn't be able to get 30 mpg on the highway anymore (24 is terrible for a car of that size), so that might make me a little less than happy.  It would all have to come down to refinement and reliability as to whether I'd like one, and seeing as it has a Mitsu engine and I hate Mitsubishis, it might be a little less than stellar.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on December 10, 2008, 02:25:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Z4BTyQkvs
TOO TOUGH

Too tough for what? The fairy couldn't change it into a girly little chu-chu train or anything because it already looks dumb enough.  :rolleyes:

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on December 10, 2008, 02:22:28 PM

It's a defensive AWD........Rear wheels only activate if you're "in trouble".

Guess I'll have to get "in trouble" a lot then. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on December 10, 2008, 02:22:28 PM

It's a defensive AWD........Rear wheels only activate if you're "in trouble".

That's easily changed, but usually sych systems are just not tough enough to withstand long duty cycles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Somewhere there is a guy who made the decision to sign off on the Caliber instead of firing the design team. "Hey guys, this is good car, fit to compete with the best the opposition has to offer."

Anybody, anybody, who cares nothing about cars and regards them as soulless appliances, would have told them that this is a bad car.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ChrisV

I've owned and driven vastly worse cars than a new Caliber. Yeah, it isn't pretty, but a free NEW utility hatchback that runs and has a warranty? Shit, that would have been a miraculous dream when I was only makin $7 a hour and had to make do with free shit that BARELY ran, were beat up, and smelled funny inside from who knows what they had inside in the couple hundred k miles they'd aquired before I got them...

Some of you guys keep proving that you're princesses that could feel a pea under 10 matresses, and if the car isn't a fucking perfect luxury sports car, it's utterly horrible and couldn't be driven or your delicate sensibilities would be forever fractured.

;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on December 12, 2008, 01:53:49 PM
I've owned and driven vastly worse cars than a new Caliber. Yeah, it isn't pretty, but a free NEW utility hatchback that runs and has a warranty? Shit, that would have been a miraculous dream when I was only makin $7 a hour and had to make do with free shit that BARELY ran, were beat up, and smelled funny inside from who knows what they had inside in the couple hundred k miles they'd aquired before I got them...

Some of you guys keep proving that you're princesses that could feel a pea under 10 matresses, and if the car isn't a fucking perfect luxury sports car, it's utterly horrible and couldn't be driven or your delicate sensibilities would be forever fractured.

;)

Uphill both ways!?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on December 12, 2008, 01:56:01 PM
Uphill both ways!?

there were NO side windows...

No side windows, no roof, crumpled up brown shag carpeting, torn brown vinyl upholstery, and more...

Compared to these, a new Caliber is a fucking Mercedes S55.  :lol:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

rant

I would have taken one when I was in high school or college and I had my old '90 Camry. I'm sure the Caliber is better than an 18 year old Toyota in some ways.

I would refuse if it meant giving up the opportunity to drive my current car.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on December 12, 2008, 03:07:25 PM
I would have taken one when I was in high school or college and I had my old '90 Camry. I'm sure the Caliber is better than an 18 year old Toyota in some ways.

I would refuse if it meant giving up the opportunity to drive my current car.

Same here. In my present situation, no thanks. But if my current car were a POS I would take a Caliber in a heartbeat.

Payman

;)

You're right, of course. But it's fun to pick on the ugly kids.

cawimmer430

I see. Guess it must be a really bad car then.   :frown:

Design-wise though it ain't bad-looking.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 13, 2008, 08:30:18 AM
Design-wise though it ain't bad-looking.  :ohyeah:[/size]
What the hell have they been teaching you at that school? :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

;)
:cheers: I'd take it! Even if I let it sit for 3 years until my lil girl is old enough to drive. Who in their rite mind would refuse a free (new) car? POS or not.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

The Pirate

Like others have said, I'd turn down a Caliber over my current car.  If I drove a POS, then I'd take the Caliber.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: The Pirate on December 13, 2008, 06:51:54 PM
Like others have said, I'd turn down a Caliber over my current car.  If I drove a POS, then I'd take the Caliber.

+1. I'd rather have the 108,000 mile Accord over the Caliber. If the Caliber was completely and totally 100% free (gas, maintenance, insurance, whatever), then I'd consider it, but otherwise, wouldn't really do me that much good.

the Teuton

Better gas mileage might make me almost consider a Caliber over my decrepit, little car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 13, 2008, 07:39:57 PM
Better gas mileage might make me almost consider a Caliber over my decrepit, little car.

You should, without a doubt, take a Caliber over your car.  It's better in every way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: The Pirate on December 13, 2008, 06:51:54 PM
I'm not saying the Caliber woud be your ONLY car. There is no way I'd refuse any car, no matter how bad the said vehicle is.  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on December 13, 2008, 07:43:01 PM
You should, without a doubt, take a Caliber over your car.  It's better in every way.

No, not really, but I'll take your word for it.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 13, 2008, 07:48:32 PM
No, not really, but I'll take your word for it.

It's better in every way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on December 13, 2008, 08:00:33 PM
It's better in every way.

And a Civic Si is a better car than yours in every way sans leather and sound deadening.  Who cares?

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 13, 2008, 08:10:15 PM
And a Civic Si is a better car than yours in every way sans leather and sound deadening.  Who cares?

It ain't.  Just ain't.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i