Saturn to Get 3 vehicles in 07 Model Year

Started by dave998, August 03, 2005, 04:19:05 AM

dave998

Saturn Outlook(to be revealed at Detroit auto show most likely as last 3Q early 4Q vehicle)

the back end

Saturn Aura(their new sedan)
Saturn Sky(new roadster)

TRAVERSE CITY-- Saturn's new crossover vehicle will be called the Outlook and the General Motors Corp. brand will retain the Aura name for its new midsize passenger car -- the same name as the concept car introduced earlier this year, the automaker announced Tuesday.

The Outlook and Aura will come to market next fall for the 2007 model year. Along with the Saturn Sky roadster, which goes on sale early next year, the new vehicles will double Saturn's portfolio to six models from three.

"The Aura played exceptionally well on the auto show circuit and certainly has an ambience for the brand that we like," Saturn general manager Jill Lajdziak said in an interview at the Management Briefing Seminars, an annual industry conference. "Outlook makes that product real and we can start to use it in the marketplace."

The addition of the Outlook, Aura and Sky are part of comeback for a brand that limped along for a decade on a thin product line that consisted of one small car, a short-lived wagon and a poorly accepted, and now discontinued midsize car.

The Outlook, and similar models to be marketed by Buick and GMC, will be assembled at a new GM assembly plant under construction in Delta Township near Lansing.

"The vehicles are extremely important to the rebirth of the Saturn brand," said Jeffrey Schuster, head of global analysis for J.D. Power and Associates. "Both are needed to attract returning buyers as well as new buyers. They are going to be highly competitive."

Bob Lutz, GM's vice chairman for product development, has spearheaded Saturn's overhaul and efforts to build on its high customer satisfaction ratings.

Saturn's expansion is not likely to stop at six vehicles, Lajdziak hinted.

"We do have a relationship with Opel," she said, "and there may be opportunities within the Opel portfolio for us to look at."

Opel is one of GM's European brands.

The broadening of Saturn's product line comes as GM repositions its numerous North American brands. Once an entry-level offering, Saturn is moving up market with more refined exterior designs and upgraded interiors. It will be marketed between Chevrolet and Buick.

"Because of the beautiful design and beautiful, rich, sophisticated interiors people are concerned that our prices are going up dramatically," Lajdziak said. "In price point we will still offer value in segments where we compete."

David Cole, president of the Center for Automotive Research, said he's bullish about Saturn's revival chances based on the new products, with one caveat.

"The trick now is to bring it along fast enough and execute it with the same kind of friendly dealer situation responsible for the success when it started," Cole said.

The brand, created by GM in the 1980s to challenge Japanese imports, still has a ways to go.

While Saturn's June and July sales rose sharply on the strength of GM's employee-style discounts, the division's 2005 sales are down 5.3 percent.

Lajdziak, who has been with Saturn since it first started selling cars 15 years ago, says the infusion of new products will put the brand back on GM's front lines, but she's realistic about the challenge.

"Somebody once told me it's easier to create a brand than it is to grow it," she said. "America likes an underdog and we are an underdog and we've got to win our way back."  

BMWDave

If the Aura turns out like it did in concept form, and the Outlook is a competitive car, then it appears that Saturn has some bright days ahead of them.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Right, now they only need to replace the mediocre cars that they currently sell: Ion, Relay, and Vue.  

BMWDave

QuoteRight, now they only need to replace the mediocre cars that they currently sell: Ion, Relay, and Vue.
The Relay is being killed off.  I think the Ion has sold well throughout its life, and now that they have the Sky, Aura, and Outlook, assuming that they are competitive cars, the future does look bright for Saturn.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Is it? Saturn could use a minivan without a doubt, they just need a better one. Buick and Pontiac's vans need to be trimmed, but Saturn's doesn't. And the Ion has only sold well under deep discounts, it's an unimpressive product.

dave998

QuoteIs it? Saturn could use a minivan without a doubt, they just need a better one. Buick and Pontiac's vans need to be trimmed, but Saturn's doesn't. And the Ion has only sold well under deep discounts, it's an unimpressive product.
Well they're supposedly getting a new minivan along with Chevrolet based off the Lambda platform I believe, but its not coming out till around 08 MY I believe. The relay is killing whatever brand image they had.

ifcar

They've already introduced it, their brand image won't get any better from them killing it back off.

mazda6er

QuoteIs it? Saturn could use a minivan without a doubt, they just need a better one. Buick and Pontiac's vans need to be trimmed, but Saturn's doesn't. And the Ion has only sold well under deep discounts, it's an unimpressive product.
Well they're supposedly getting a new minivan along with Chevrolet based off the Lambda platform I believe, but its not coming out till around 08 MY I believe. The relay is killing whatever brand image they had.
I'm not sure how the Relay hurts Saturn's image more than their other cars.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

So...are they just going to be more rebadges to add to the GM Rebage Family?

Shane

Saturn, Pontiac, Buick and Chevrolet all have the same vans, almost identical.  All that is left is a Cadillac version to appear.   I thought GM wanted to move away from rebadging like this.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

bobwill

QuoteSaturn, Pontiac, Buick and Chevrolet all have the same vans, almost identical.  All that is left is a Cadillac version to appear.
You forgot Saab. ;)

I won't shed any tears seeing the Relay go away, that thing's only sold like 2000 a month or something, and as others have said it's the same vehicle as the Chevy, Pontiac, and Buick offerings.

The only reason I think it was even introduced is due to the fact that Saturn dealerships don't sell other vehicles.  So, the only way for a Saturn dealership to have a minivan on the lot would be as a used car or for them to introduce a Saturn minivan.

TBR

This is slightly off topic, but interesting nonetheless, the closest Saturn dealer hides new Saturns behind their used car stock.

bobwill

QuoteThis is slightly off topic, but interesting nonetheless, the closest Saturn dealer hides new Saturns behind their used car stock.
New, as in 2006 model year new, or new as in 2005 model year?  I've heard people say that 2006s are on the lots right now, but they're not suppossed to be selling them yet, they shouldn't even have a price sticker on them, or something like that.

ifcar

TBR

I mean in if you drive by their dealer the first thing you see are the used cars, not the brand new Saturns (the used cars are in the first couple of rows and then there are a Saturns). I think that is a pretty clear indication of where their profit comes from.