*grumble* MG runs like poop, and some other stuff

Started by Rupert, December 29, 2008, 09:57:35 PM

bing_oh

Quote from: Psilos on December 30, 2008, 11:37:13 PM
So, ahem, apparently, I might be in idiot. I went out to move the car out of the garage this morning, and it started right up! I drove it around until it was warm, and it ran great. So I'm not sure what was up last night... Maybe I flooded the engine and didn't give it enough time to recover? I gave it five or so minutes... Oh well, all is well now, and disregard this thread.

0_0

You were, apparently, unaware that British cars have minds of their own. I nicknamed my dad's TR3 "Christine." At one point he was trying to sell it and every time someone would come to test drive it, something would happen. Most commonly it wouldn't start, but the clutch went out on a guy a couple miles out of the driveway and the brakes died on another guy. No mechanical problems before these people came to look at her, but there was always something wrong when somebody wanted to take her around the block. Oddly enough, we could rarely find a reason for the problem after the prospective buyer left...the old girl just didn't want to leave, apparently.

Byteme

Quote from: Psilos on December 30, 2008, 11:37:13 PM
So, ahem, apparently, I might be in idiot. I went out to move the car out of the garage this morning, and it started right up! I drove it around until it was warm, and it ran great. So I'm not sure what was up last night... Maybe I flooded the engine and didn't give it enough time to recover? I gave it five or so minutes... Oh well, all is well now, and disregard this thread.

0_0

This thing have twin carbs on it?  If so, you could have had a stuck needle on one of the carbs, when you started it up oinly one was giving the engine gas.

Had the same thing happen last week with the E-type (3 SU carbs).  One needle stuck and it ran like crap, wouldn't idle.  Gave each float bowl a rap with a rubber hammer to knock the needle valve loose and it started right up.

Rupert

Yeah, twin SUs. That makes sense, and I'll keep that in mind if it happens again. Danke.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

I got off my ass today, and diagnosed the compression. I re-did my valve job (it was too tight), and opened the throttle all the way (a pain in the ass, BTW) this time. Numbers were basically the same, so I did a wet test on the lowest cylinder. Compression went from 115 psi to 125 psi, so it looks like it's at least partly the piston rings, and probably both rings and valves. Oh well, I'm not gonna worry about it. It's an old car.

I was going to finish the ignition stuff, but I forgot to get some tools, and the store was closed. Blast, I guess I'll try to do it all tomorrow.

And the damned Ranger is 1000 miles overdue for an oil change... (I found out that it leaks, too. *sigh* I guess some of the British wore off on my American truck. :lol: )
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Oh, yeah, but with the better valve job, plugs, wires, and Lucas Sport Coil, the things is running (and starting) better than ever (just have to wait for the engine to warm up-- it's crappy until then). I can't wait to hear it after I finish the ignition and do the carbs!

Oh! And I may have fixed the heater. The valve on the engine was sticking closed, so I opened it. But the interior/defrost selector switch is broken, so I have to hope it's stuck on interior. :P We'll see tomorrow morning with the top down!

bing_oh

What the hell do you need a heater for on a Brit ragtop?

Rupert

Is that a real question? :lol:

It was 35 deg. F this morning! Of course, the top was down, anyway...

Rupert

OK! So tune-up finally complete! I got the ignition done last weekend, and today, I did the carbs. Idle is set to 900 or so rpm, carbs are balanced, and mixture is more than less correct. Yippie!

On to the next thing...

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Fa! How un-British! Only the best technology from 1960 will do!

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Psilos on February 02, 2009, 12:44:49 AM
Fa! How un-British! Only the best technology from 1960 will do!

Gigantic front-mounted supercharger. Bentley did it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Danish

Quote from: Psilos on February 01, 2009, 08:49:53 PM
OK! So tune-up finally complete! I got the ignition done last weekend, and today, I did the carbs. Idle is set to 900 or so rpm, carbs are balanced, and mixture is more than less correct. Yippie!

On to the next thing...

The car is just setting you up so that when it spectacularly falls apart, the shock will be greater :lol:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Rupert

STFU. I paid for that! The car gods are cool with me now because I bought another sports car.

:lol: