2010 Shelby GT500 unveiled!

Started by SVT666, January 01, 2009, 01:05:26 AM

TBR

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 14, 2009, 02:16:23 PM
Did you just compare a Monte Carlo SS to a GT500?   :confused:  How about using the Corvette (closer in price and horsepower) as an example? We all know what happened when ANY magazine put the Vette up agaisnt the GT500.

They don't compete because the Mustang fanboys don't want them to.

ChrisV

Did you just compare a Monte Carlo SS to a GT500?   :confused:  How about using the Corvette (closer in price and horsepower) as an example? We all know what happened when ANY magazine put the Vette up agaisnt the GT500.

Umm, he was comparing traditional 2+2 musclecar types, of which the Monte USED to be back in the day. Yeah a 2 seat sports car is going to be a tad better than a musclecar, but that's not the point.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

BINGO. C6 walks on the GT500.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: ChrisV on January 14, 2009, 02:19:43 PM
Umm, he was comparing traditional 2+2 musclecar types, of which the Monte USED to be back in the day. Yeah a 2 seat sports car is going to be a tad better than a musclecar, but that's not the point.
I understand his point,but why throw the MC in when he already had the GTO listed? We all know the GTO was the only direct competition that the (base) 'Stang had. I've never seen anyone compare a FWD MC to any 'Stang. Especially one that listed for (before dealer mark ups!) 40k! The Vette is a better example (at the time about 5k more but it had less hp than the GT500) in that price range.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

For the record, most Mustang fans are not like Nethead...that includes me. 

The Mustang and Monte Carlo are not competitors and neither are the GT500 and the Corvette.  Fucking hell.

Raza

Did you just compare a Monte Carlo SS to a GT500?   :confused:  How about using the Corvette (closer in price and horsepower) as an example? We all know what happened when ANY magazine put the Vette up agaisnt the GT500.

And I'm still pretty sure I'd take the GT500 over the Corvette.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 14, 2009, 03:01:10 PM
For the record, most Mustang fans are not like Nethead...that includes me. 

The Mustang and Monte Carlo are not competitors and neither are the GT500 and the Corvette.  Fucking hell.

Comparison is just that: a comparison. It does not imply nor demand referendum or indictment of either vehicle; as to its worth, its class or anything else.

That settled, the C6 is the better performing car in every sense of the word.

Nethead

Nope, and neither would anyone else but Chevy management.  No car mags even considered the Monte Carlo SS in the GT500-Charger SRT-GTO comparos that were the rage at the time GT500s and Charger SRTs began showing up in the dealerships.  I suppose if they ever make four-passenger Corvettes--or at least 2+2 Corvettes--then they'll be in these comparos, too.  Today, these comparos wouldn't have GTOs, but G8s and CTS-Vs could represent GM against the Challenger SRT and the GT500.  It ain't looking like much would change in the results...
So many stairs...so little time...

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2009, 08:04:41 AM
Comparison is just that: a comparison. It does not imply nor demand referendum or indictment of either vehicle; as to its worth, its class or anything else.

That settled, the C6 is the better performing car in every sense of the word.

So's an F430 Scuderia and a Pagoni Zonda. Shall we just start comparing all cars?

Next up, the Fusion takes on the Accord and Veyron.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on January 15, 2009, 08:31:45 AM
So's an F430 Scuderia and a Pagoni Zonda. Shall we just start comparing all cars?

The C6 is a bit more valid than that.  If you include dealer markups, the C6 was a cheaper car than the GT500.  If you don't, the C6 is just a bit more expensive.

No, the cars don't directly compete, that's true.  But it's not that far a stretch to think that people would cross shop.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on January 15, 2009, 08:31:45 AM

2-door, V8-powered, RWD, domestic performance icons with similar MSRPs???

The performance comparison DEMANDS itself, beyond any objection, anywhere, by anyone, on any level.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2009, 08:48:02 AM
2-door, V8-powered, RWD, domestic performance icons with similar MSRPs???

The performance comparison DEMANDS itself, beyond any objection, anywhere, by anyone, on any level.

We should throw trucks in the mix too with those qualifiers

ChrisV

Yup, 'cause we all know the old Ford Lightning competed directly with the Corvette, too.

SVT666

The number of people who would actually cross shop a GT500 with a Corvette is a confused individual who doesn't really want either of them.  If you want a Corvette, you are cross shopping with the Viper or GT-R.

Two completely different cars with two different objectives.  I've seen Corvette vs. GT500 comparisons in Mustang magazines for the sole purpose of showing the reader how good a GT500 really is even though it lost.

GoCougs

So is it mere boredom, or GT500 apologia?

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 15, 2009, 10:13:05 AM
The number of people who would actually cross shop a GT500 with a Corvette is a confused individual who doesn't really want either of them.  If you want a Corvette, you are cross shopping with the Viper or GT-R.

Two completely different cars with two different objectives.  I've seen Corvette vs. GT500 comparisons in Mustang magazines for the sole purpose of showing the reader how good a GT500 really is even though it lost.

How is the GT-R a competitor for the Corvette yet the GT500 isn't? The Vette and GT500 are both V8 powered, RWD, American icons. Meanwhile, the GT-R is V6 powered, all wheel drive, Japanese, and has a rear seat which is probably even bigger than the GT500's.

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2009, 10:13:41 AM
So is it mere boredom, or GT500 apologia?

You gonna answer the question about trucks? If car categories don't matter, then why not cross-shop a pickup?

The Corvette isn't a muslcecar. Never was. Or are you saying it is/was a Camaro competitor, too?

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on January 15, 2009, 11:22:05 AM
You gonna answer the question about trucks? If car categories don't matter, then why not cross-shop a pickup?

The Corvette isn't a muslcecar. Never was. Or are you saying it is/was a Camaro competitor, too?

I said nothing about cross-shopping or competition. I stated, "comparison."

Further, in specific, since when does the F-150 meet the "domestic performance icon" criteria already mentioned?

Jeez, guys. You lost this one before it started. C6 vs. GT500 is a logical, valid comparison.

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on January 15, 2009, 10:31:35 AM
How is the GT-R a competitor for the Corvette yet the GT500 isn't? The Vette and GT500 are both V8 powered, RWD, American icons. Meanwhile, the GT-R is V6 powered, all wheel drive, Japanese, and has a rear seat which is probably even bigger than the GT500's.

You gotta pass the de facto CarSPIN Comparison Board of Regents before you do such a thing. 

Certainly, if the GT500 vs. C6 gets the board worked up, GT-R vs. C6 will make 'em riot.

There are rules.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2009, 11:36:35 AM
Jeez, guys. You lost this one before it started. C6 vs. GT500 is a logical, valid comparison.

:hesaid:

No two cars are identical. Some are very similar and some less so. The C6 and GT500 are similar enough that a comparison between the two isn't strange or forced. They obviously have different goals, but they share some things in common too. I can't understand why anyone would throw a hissy fit over this: talk about anal...

Quote from: ChrisV on January 15, 2009, 11:22:05 AM
You gonna answer the question about trucks?

Some points are so absurd that they don't warrant a response. Everyone on the planet would agree that the GT500 and C6 share more in common with each other than they do with the F150.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

I remember an article from several years ago that said that one of the vehicles a corvette was likely to be cross shopped against (and yes, they had lots of data to prove it) was a SeaRay.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 15, 2009, 04:59:33 PM
I remember an article from several years ago that said that one of the vehicles a corvette was likely to be cross shopped against (and yes, they had lots of data to prove it) was a SeaRay.

DOOD - YOUR ARE IN FOR IT NOW.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 15, 2009, 04:59:33 PM

Why not?  If you're a balding middle aged man, you either want a sports car or a boat..

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on January 15, 2009, 05:18:52 PM
Why not?  If you're a balding middle aged man, you either want a sports car or a boat..

Well, yeah, it all depends on the question the buyer is asking, doesn't it? I mean, if a gu sets out to buy a two seat sports/GT car and is dead set on that, that's one thing; but I have to believe a lot of people are just looking for a fun and fast thing to drop fifty grand on.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 15, 2009, 05:21:48 PM
Well, yeah, it all depends on the question the buyer is asking, doesn't it? I mean, if a gu sets out to buy a two seat sports/GT car and is dead set on that, that's one thing; but I have to believe a lot of people are just looking for a fun and fast thing to drop fifty grand on.

Yeah, but maybe C&D should do a comparo between a Corvette and a SeaRay, what size though?   

J86

Ha a Searay!  I picture a SeaRay owner enjoying a C4 'Vette...

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2009, 11:36:35 AM
I said nothing about cross-shopping or competition. I stated, "comparison."

Further, in specific, since when does the F-150 meet the "domestic performance icon" criteria already mentioned?

Hear, hear. I'd readily compare a Commodore SS ute, Golf GTI, Mondeo XR5 Turbo or used Alfa Spider if I had a spare $45k and was looking to purchase. Different cars appeal in different ways - it's up to me to make comparisons based on the importance of my needs and wants. How well does each car do the job it was intended to perform, and how impressive is its achievement relative to other cars I'd consider? In any case, I don't see why the comparison of an F-150 and a car is such a big step. The lure of a V8 engine, high seating position allowing a panoramic view across a wide bonnet, masculine styling and proportions; I could easily see how a person attracted to a G8 GT might also look at an F-150, or a used Corvette, or perhaps a '60s El Camino, just for something different. Take Raza as a good example - at one stage he could have found himself in a Pontiac GTO, Mustang, Passat, Rabbit GTI or Civic Si before settling upon a Jetta.

Woe betide the company that limits their market by defining their competitors so narrowly. Competitors exist by class, by price, by physical similarity, by function, by usage, and so on. A Rabbit GTI, for example, competes with other cars in its price range; with other 3-door sporting hatchbacks; with other sporting models of varying body types; with other European makes for people seeking a Euro badge; or with other large-scale purchases like a new boat or a home entertainment system. Some competitors are obviously more relevant than others, but very few should be so readily dismissed.

r0tor

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 14, 2009, 02:28:21 PM
I understand his point,but why throw the MC in when he already had the GTO listed? We all know the GTO was the only direct competition that the (base) 'Stang had. I've never seen anyone compare a FWD MC to any 'Stang. Especially one that listed for (before dealer mark ups!) 40k! The Vette is a better example (at the time about 5k more but it had less hp than the GT500) in that price range.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/coupes/2002_chevrolet_monte_carlo_ss_vs_ford_mustang_gt_dodge_stratus_r_t_comparison_test
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Nethead

Quote from: Tave on January 15, 2009, 04:44:23 PM
:hesaid:

Some points are so absurd that they don't warrant a response. Everyone on the planet would agree that the GT500 and C6 share more in common with each other than they do with the F150.

An F150 and a C6 are valid in a comparo because, even in 2009, both have leaf spring suspensions.  Well, OK, the F150 only has leaf springs in the rear--but close enough for comparison work, as many pointed out above, since no two vehicles are actually identical...

So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on January 16, 2009, 06:47:20 AM
Take Raza as a good example - at one stage he could have found himself in a Pontiac GTO, Mustang, Passat, Rabbit GTI or Civic Si before settling upon a Jetta.

How one ends up with a Jetta when the GTO and Mustang are in the running is beyond me. :lol: