2009 CarSPIN Award Winners

Started by SVT666, January 02, 2009, 11:43:35 AM

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on January 04, 2009, 10:32:16 AM
The current Rabbit isn't Mexican-built, to my knowledge.

And the Mazda3 s is rated at 22 city/29 highway.

They aren't?  What about the Jetta?

And none of the cars in the economy car class outside of the Corolla seem to be terribly efficient, do they?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on January 04, 2009, 10:58:43 AM

And none of the cars in the economy car class outside of the Corolla seem to be terribly efficient, do they?
omg, Cobalt XFE gets 84 mpg city
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on January 03, 2009, 09:34:33 PM
1) My choice is not the best car in the class.  Once again, I think that distinction goes to the Mazda3.

2) Bullshit.  Maybe now, but over the long-run, I guarantee there will be a higher percentage of Imprezas on the road than Golfs, especially the Mexican-built ones.

You know the Mexican built Golfs and the German built Rabbits have nothing to do with each other, right?  Historical reliability is mostly irrelevant. 

Hell, current models from Mexico have seemed to prove reliable as well.  After they changed their production centers to fix their old strategy, things sorted themselves out.  However, they're poised to fuck it all up again.  I may very well replace my Jetta with another Volkswagen, but it won't be a United States-only Jetta or Passat. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on January 04, 2009, 10:58:43 AM

The Jetta (and all Jettas sold everywhere in the world) is built in Mexico.  The Rabbit (and all Rabbits and Golfs sold everywhere in the world) is built in Germany.  They had to hold back US imports so they could increase production capacity because they were turning the plants into world centers instead of their old, hard-to-QC regional centers.  Remember, the Volkswagen GTI (I'm not sure if it extended to the whole Golf range) was named Car of the Year by Top Gear in 2004, but wasn't released in the US until 2006, when we got the mechanically identical Jetta in 2005.  Obviously, with higher demand for the Jetta in the US than Europe, and higher demand for the Golf/Rabbit in Europe than in the US, they made the choice to wait on the Rabbit and sell the Jetta here before the Rabbit was introduced. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

I'll never buy a car with an inline 5.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CJ

No Volvo S60R or V70R for you then.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on January 04, 2009, 09:40:08 PM
I'll never buy a car with an inline 5.

It's not a very exciting engine, no.  It's kind of like a diesel without diesel gas mileage.  Huge displacement, though. 

They should replace it with the twincharge 1.4.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on January 05, 2009, 02:31:42 PM
It's not a very exciting engine, no.  It's kind of like a diesel without diesel gas mileage.  Huge displacement, though. 

They should replace it with the twincharge 1.4.

Or at least the 2.0T.........

Rupert

Quote from: ifcar on January 04, 2009, 10:32:16 AM
The current Rabbit isn't Mexican-built, to my knowledge.

And the Mazda3 s is rated at 22 city/29 highway.

Dang, my truck gets about that city mileage.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 03, 2009, 12:54:02 PM
But is a quality truck like the GM twins? While it looks like Chrysler improved that aspect, we don't know yet.

The last model matched the quality of the other two, it just had a plain-Jane interior (which, as Hemi agrees, is a good feature in a work truck). The Cummins models are especially venerated and have been for years.

For the love of God, don't confuse the Sebring with Dodge trucks. :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 05, 2009, 09:29:50 PM
The last model matched the quality of the other two, it just had a plain-Jane interior (which, as Hemi agrees, is a good feature in a work truck). The Cummins models are especially venerated and have been for years.

For the love of God, don't confuse the Sebring with Dodge trucks. :thumbsup:
Exactly.  Dodge Trucks are top notch.

Tave

I don't think you could go wrong with either a Chevy or Dodge.

We have been tending towards Dodge trucks at work because of the Cummins and underbody packaging. Go look at a Silverado and Ram. On the Chevy, the body is mounted "on top" of the frame while on the Dodge, the bottom of the frame is flush with the rest of the body. It's an annoying detail.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 06, 2009, 12:01:41 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either a Chevy or Dodge.

We have been tending towards Dodge trucks at work because of the Cummins and underbody packaging. Go look at a Silverado and Ram. On the Chevy, the body is mounted "on top" of the frame while on the Dodge, the bottom of the frame is flush with the rest of the body. It's an annoying detail.
Chevys have been like that for as long as I can remember.  My dad bought an F-250 off a guy who was selling it so he could buy a new Chevy (1995).  He sold that Chevy after only 3 months because he couldn't go onto a job site without getting shit hung up in the frame and getting stuck.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2009, 12:07:24 PM
Chevys have been like that for as long as I can remember.  My dad bought an F-250 off a guy who was selling it so he could buy a new Chevy (1995).  He sold that Chevy after only 3 months because he couldn't go onto a job site without getting shit hung up in the frame and getting stuck.

We made the shift from Chevy starting in 2003, right when the new Ram was released. In the 90s, we had been using Fords, but we couldn't get much life out of them, so we switched to Chevy. We liked the durability, but that frame issue was just too frustrating.

We've finally taken the vehicle decisions out of my boss's hands. He used to buy whatever make came in the company color. :lol: