Headunit Recommendation

Started by Laconian, January 03, 2009, 01:07:24 AM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on January 09, 2009, 08:46:49 PM
Congratulations Psilos, you've outnerded me. I don't get the reference.

Don't underestimate the Dark Side if the Force!

That might have been a Vader line, come to think of it. It was a stretch, too. It just sounded like somthing the Emperor would say...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2009, 08:51:22 PM
I know, and I'm saying: what's the point of having the ultimate home system if every time you really try to use it you get a "disturbing the peace" ticket?

Haha, yeah, that too. I've never had that sort of problem, but it would suck.

giant_mtb

Speed_Racer

hotrodalex

Looks great. I've had a problem finding good faceplates in the past. A lot of them are way too bright and complicated. I like simple clean designs.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on January 09, 2009, 08:53:00 PM
OK, I'm pretty set on this baby:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/DEH-P6000UB

I used one at Circuit City. The thing that won me over for this model over the DEH-P5000UB was the clever detachable faceplate mechanism. The other models had a faceplate that required some finessing to work the hinges apart, but the 6000 releases the hinges automatically, so you just flip the plate down and snatch it. Reattaching it is even easier, it first snaps on magnetically, and then hinges re-engage automatically.

The crazy stupid OLED displays can be dialed back to a simple black background. The clicking dial is very intuitive and does a stellar job of keeping the faceplate free of clutter.

And it sounds really good too!
Now I want one too!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

How much??

I got the cheapest Pioneer available and ended up with this one:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Pioneer/DEH-2000MP

Lots of buttons, which are all too small to really use. Good thing I put the mp3 Player on and just use the volume control....
Will

Laconian

I found it for $180 online, but it's from kind of a sketchy seller. I'm expecting to spend $200-220 on it.

I saw that unit and thought it was pretty decent, but I figured a multi-line display is probably worth a bit of splurging since browsing a MP3 CD through a one line readout can be a pain.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 10, 2009, 11:34:29 PM
How much??

I got the cheapest Pioneer available and ended up with this one:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Pioneer/DEH-2000MP

Lots of buttons, which are all too small to really use. Good thing I put the mp3 Player on and just use the volume control....

That's the one I bought for my girlfriend for her birthday. :lol:  I think it's a decent HU once you set the "loud" feature and EQ up.

Rupert

I have a Clarion HU that I got a good deal on. It sounds great (er, ah, it would with non-crap Ranger speakers), but there are too many tiny buttons and no knobs. I don't think I'd but it again for that reason.

The MG came with a five disc changer (snicker), but it also has pretty good speakers. There are four of them!

TBR

I have a Pioneer in the 'Lude. Only complaint is it doesn't have a mute button.

I am with Minpin, I love my satellite radio, but I don't listen to music on it, just news and talk radio.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: TBR on January 11, 2009, 08:00:54 AM
I have a Pioneer in the 'Lude. Only complaint is it doesn't have a mute button.

Mine is on the remote.

TBR

I guess it could be on there, but then I don't know where the remote is. What a stupid device for a car stereo!

giant_mtb

I agree.  They're quite the novelty item.  When I got my HU I thought it was SO cool that it came with a remote!  So then I used it for a day...and never used it again.  :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2009, 02:53:00 AM
That's the one I bought for my girlfriend for her birthday. :lol:  I think it's a decent HU once you set the "loud" feature and EQ up.

The "loud" is off and I have 0 bass, +1 Mid, and 0 Treble.
The "loud" setting would definitely not work w/ this:

:lol:

I agree on the remote thing, I use it sometimes when I'm just sitting surfing radio stations (the preset buttons are tiny) but otherwise what's the point ?!?!?!
Will

giant_mtb

Laconian

The remote is extra pointless in a 2 seater, where it's literally impossible to be further than an arm's length away from the stereo.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 11, 2009, 04:15:44 PM
The remote is extra pointless in a 2 seater, where it's literally impossible to be further than an arm's length away from the stereo.

you could crank it up in the parking lot w/ your homies and be able to switch tracks outside the car I guess. ?!

:huh:

Even in a Real car the stereo is merely a couple extra inches away...
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 11, 2009, 06:19:15 PM
you could crank it up in the parking lot w/ your homies and be able to switch tracks outside the car I guess. ?!

Thats the only time I use mine. If I'm washing/drying the car or just chillin and playing music in the driveway/park.

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 11, 2009, 06:19:15 PM

So my car's fake, eh? :lol:

I can't picture "homies" gathered around a Miata, either.  :lol::lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 11, 2009, 10:32:10 PM
So my car's fake, eh? :lol:

I can't picture "homies" gathered around a Miata, either.  :lol::lol:

Hoped you'd like that.  ;-)

I really like the restyle, but I can't bring myself to think anything but "girly lookin car" about the old ones.

I'd still take one, if offered. :-)
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 13, 2009, 10:03:49 AM
Hoped you'd like that.  ;-)

I really like the restyle, but I can't bring myself to think anything but "girly lookin car" about the old ones.

I'd still take one, if offered. :-)
Hey, more for the rest of us!

Onslaught

1. You have a convertible so don't get anything too nice. Miata tops are expensive.
2. Get one you can change the colors on. Unless you can make it light up green then it looks like shit in the car.

TBR

Look for one with a dimmer, mine just plain drives me nuts at night, I frequently flip the face down so the light isn't in my eyes.

Laconian

Quote from: TBR on January 13, 2009, 03:45:02 PM
Look for one with a dimmer, mine just plain drives me nuts at night, I frequently flip the face down so the light isn't in my eyes.
It has that.

Quote from: Onslaught on January 13, 2009, 03:40:17 PM
1. You have a convertible so don't get anything too nice. Miata tops are expensive.
which is why I think the easy detaching mechanism is tits.

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on January 13, 2009, 05:44:06 PM

which is why I think the easy detaching mechanism is tits.

It is. And I have one too. But it gets old taking it on and off all the time and taking it with you. It's not like guys have a man purse to put the things in.

Laconian

Quote from: Onslaught on January 13, 2009, 05:57:44 PM
It is. And I have one too. But it gets old taking it on and off all the time and taking it with you. It's not like guys have a man purse to put the things in.
You can stuff your pants with it. :lol:

I plan on just stashing it in the glove compartment, which I am already accustomed to locking and unlocking.

TBR

Do the detaching faces actually do anything? Seems to be like a good thief would look in the car, see the blank face and then realize what it is, an upper end after market stereo system with a detachable face that's probably in the glove compartment, center console, or a map pocket.

Laconian

I would hope that the detachable face plate would make it harder for the thief to preform a risk/reward analysis, enticing him to break into the known quantity parked the next spot over instead.

I also have a Viper alarm system with a visible blinking red LED.