Headunit Recommendation

Started by Laconian, January 03, 2009, 01:07:24 AM

hotrodalex

The headunit in my Camaro is fun. The mute button is right next to the detach button. Sometimes I'll try to mute it to hear a guy in a different car or something (I get questions about it every once in awhile) and instead of hitting mute, I press the wrong button and the whole thing falls off. :lol:

TBR

You see I would think that it would just make it easier for a smart thief, but then thieves, at least stereo thieves, are rarely smart.

Laconian

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 13, 2009, 06:31:30 PM
The headunit in my Camaro is fun. The mute button is right next to the detach button. Sometimes I'll try to mute it to hear a guy in a different car or something (I get questions about it every once in awhile) and instead of hitting mute, I press the wrong button and the whole thing falls off. :lol:
Hey, at least the end result is the same: the stereo becomes quiet! :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Does Kenwood still produce it's Excelon line? Is it still a premium brand? I've got some Excelon speakers I never put in the back of my 4Runner because, apparently, Toyota decided that I didn't need rear mounts. :wtf: I can't wait to try them out when my Aveo's speakers wear out. It's been over 5 years since I bought them. That's a lot of anticipation! :rockon:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

I only saw the Premier and Pioneer headunits listed on their website, but they might still make speakers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on January 11, 2009, 04:15:44 PM
The remote is extra pointless in a 2 seater, where it's literally impossible to be further than an arm's length away from the stereo.

In a lot fo classic cars, its not uncommon to mount the "modern" stereo in the glovebox, and use a remote repeater, so as not to ruin the look of the original dash.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2009, 05:17:36 PM
In a lot fo classic cars, its not uncommon to mount the "modern" stereo in the glovebox, and use a remote repeater, so as not to ruin the look of the original dash.

Hey, good call. :ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

God forbid I despoil this classic piece of plastic sculpture!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2009, 07:00:13 PM

God forbid I despoil this classic piece of plastic sculpture!

You might feel differently about something like this:

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

$185 shipping + $0 shipping + $0 tax.
:mrcool:

Eye of the Tiger

Did you just buy one? I have a nice Sony Asplode head unit that I am too lazy to reinstall into every car I get.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: NACar on January 14, 2009, 07:44:06 PM
Did you just buy one? I have a nice Sony Asplode head unit that I am too lazy to reinstall into every car I get.
already boughtten

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on January 14, 2009, 07:44:06 PM

How much you want for it? The MG has good speakers and a tape deck or five disc changer (since I still use regular CDs, not). Also, what can it do?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

I like the one in my Camaro. It's a simple design and can blend in with the interior.

Laconian

Here we are!

I had to clip all the wires from the Eclipse and adapt them to the Pioneer wiring harness. It was a pain in the ass, but it worked--100% on the first try. :mrcool:

The head unit made for a tight horizontal squeeze, so much so that the mounting harness flexes a little as a result. You can't see it normally, but it peeks out a little with the glare of the flash. Oh well.

The USB drive is stashed in the glove compartment. It is 2GB right now, it will soon be replaced with a 16GB thumb drive. It feels really good going solid state. :mrcool:

I was very impressed with the performance based on the few test MP3s I tried in the garage. There is a feature called "sound retriever" that essentially boosts the frequencies that are lost during low bitrate perceptual encoding. Normally I hate this kind of crap, but in this case it worked quite well on my 128kbit mp3s. I'm leaving it on.

The visualization modes are impressive but much too distracting, so I kept it on the basic black mode. If I was driving an SUV where the head unit is not so close to my field of vision, then it would probably be nice for passengers. But in the Miata I see that shit and it bothers the hell out of me.

I enabled a feature that automatically lowers the face plate and beeps when the car is turned off, reminding the driver to stash the faceplate. After a certain amount of time elapses, if the faceplate has not been removed then it is automatically returned to its normal position. This is great, there's no way I can neglect to take it off now. Do other headunits have this feature?

Altogether I think it was a great buy! $180, no shipping or taxes. It feels like it should have cost a lot more. Thanks for telling me to look to Pioneer, guys!

heelntoe

i see you got the premium package with the wood shift knob. :lol:

congrats on the install.
@heelntoe

Laconian

Quote from: heelntoe on January 21, 2009, 07:13:25 AM
i see you got the premium package with the wood shift knob. :lol:

congrats on the install.
No, the previous owner just loved her tacky aftermarket shit. :lol:

Momo wood shift knob
Aluminum drilled pedals
"Style rollbars" (won't save my life but they look sweet)

Gotta-Qik-C7

My Pioneer beeps (they've had that feature for years) if you leave the face on but it doesn't lower the face. Nice deck! BTW what is a thumb drive?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

Someone needs to get some Q-Tips and clean the dust in his cracks.
Looks good other than then needed cleaning!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 21, 2009, 03:21:50 PM
BTW what is a thumb drive?

A USB drive about the size of your thumb. For storing stuff from computers..   ;-)
Will

TBR

Also known as a flash or jump drive.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 15, 2009, 01:16:52 PM
I like the one in my Camaro. It's a simple design and can blend in with the interior.

That's cool, I'm just mentioning one scenario where it makes sense to have a remote for a car stereo that I know of.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: TBR on January 21, 2009, 10:38:24 PM
Also known as a flash or jump drive.
DUH! I have one for my laptop,but I'd never heard it called a Thumb drive.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 21, 2009, 10:47:29 PM
That's cool, I'm just mentioning one scenario where it makes sense to have a remote for a car stereo that I know of.

I think cars from before ~1967 need to have a hidden faceplate and remote. The cars from then have totally different dash boards and any other radio would just look odd. No matter what.

Laconian

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 22, 2009, 04:05:22 PM
DUH! I have one for my laptop,but I'd never heard it called a Thumb drive.
It's the Soda/Pop/Coke of the 21st century!

giant_mtb

Nice HU, Laconian...those new Pioneers look fantastic.  Very simple, clean, and nice! :rockon: