Pontiac G8 ST: officially cancelled

Started by SVT666, January 06, 2009, 11:13:58 AM

Nethead

GM's Marketing admitted that the G8 ST would have been their entry into a market that was projected to be only 5,000 unit sales per year--they let this get pretty far before someone at GM woke the fuck up and said "WTF?". 

'Sounds like it might be prudent to stop straightening the deck chairs and get into the lines boarding the lifeboats...

So many stairs...so little time...

Atomic

what?! this is were the news was first posted! no wonder i entered my "late breaking news" late. i entered it under the truck category.

:lol:

SVT666

Pontiac G8 ST naming contest winner forced to choose new ride

As you may recall, when the Pontiac G8 ST broke cover last year at the New York Auto Show, it didn?t have an official name. Although General Motors referred to the sport truck as the G8 ST, the Michigan automaker ultimately left the truck?s naming up to the public ? and still landed on the ST moniker. The winner of the naming game was set to take delivery of a brand new G8 ST, but now that the ?ute isn?t coming State-side, what is a winner to pick?

But before we get to that, let?s clear up some of the confusion. After receiving hundreds of naming suggestions, GM decided that the ST name was still the most fitting for the G8 pickup. However, GM promised a new G8 ST to the winner of the contest, so the automaker just randomly picked one name out of all the entrants.

That lucky winner was Joseph Warren of Waynesville, N.C. For ?winning? the contest, Warren was slated to receive a shiny new G8 ST in his driveway, but GM?s plan to cancel the G8 ST ultimately spoiled that plan. So instead, GM offered Warren any Pontiac vehicle with a comparable price to the now dead G8 ST.

So what did Mr. Warren pick? A G8 GT sedan? Solstice GXP? Nope, he opted for the Torrent GXP.

Although we don?t necessarily agree with Warren?s pick, it?s kind of fitting that he chose a vehicle that won?t be in Pontiac show rooms either, just like the ST. Nevertheless, we wish Mr. Warren years of happy motoring in his sporty CUV.

the Teuton

He needed something that could haul apparently.  So it can haul a fairly big payload, but unlike the ST, it can't really haul ass.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!