Intresting: BYD E6 EV

Started by 2o6, January 12, 2009, 09:13:33 PM

2o6

As much as you guys scoff and laugh that the Chinese will never be competent, let alone build an Electric Car or Hybrid, you have to take into account that BYD is the 2nd largest producer of Cellphone Batteries, and the largest producer of nickel-cadmium batteries. I think these guys might know what they're doing.

The design is boring, though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/12/detroit-2009-byd-e6-is-worlds-first-production-dual-mode-plug

Tave

I've never even bothered to think about Chinese electric cars, let alone waste my time scoffing at them.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Those headlights look vaguely familiar...9-3 or Mondeo maybe?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

the Teuton

I can't put my finger on it, but I could swear this thing looks like a defunct Olds or Saturn concept car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

I won't think their "ferrous" battery technology is anything more than just smoke and mirrors until I see it in a released product.

You'd think GM would have selected it for the Volt if it is as superior over Li+ as they say it is.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Until I got my iPhone, my cell phone batteries have rarely lasted for more than two phone calls, and required a whole night recharge fully. Now I know why.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colin

BYD were brave enough to show some cars at the Geneva Show 2008.

Tata were wise, and locked theirs so you could not see how truly dire the build quality is, but BYD hadn't even learned that lesson. Let me tell you that although the outside does not look too bad, the interior is awful and the detailed finish was by some margin the worst of anything I have seen ever.......... rough, hard, sharp edges of plastic, bare bits of wiring poking through holes in the boot lid......... truly terrible.

Whilst I have little doubt that the Chinese will become a force in the world car market in time, some of them haven't even reached the depths plumbed by Lada yet, and that really is saying something.

And that's before we get to their abysmal performance in safety tests..........

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Quote from: NACar on January 12, 2009, 10:33:08 PM
Until I got my iPhone, my cell phone batteries have rarely lasted for more than two phone calls, and required a whole night recharge fully. Now I know why.

Your iPhone is made in China, chances are pretty good that BYD makes the battery too.