Design chief: Ford cancels RWD sedan program

Started by SVT666, January 13, 2009, 02:23:31 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on January 13, 2009, 04:45:56 PM
The current Falcon platform, much like the R34 Skyline, will not accomodate an LHD conversion.  You're talking basically re-engineering the platform to get LHD.
I have seen Skylines with LHD Maxima dashboard....

omicron

Quote from: Catman on January 13, 2009, 05:59:28 PM
I have no idea.  I realize the drive shaft can take away a bit of efficiency but I don't get it.  From a manufacturing and packaging standpoint I can see it being easier to build but why would it use more fuel?

I don't get it either. A 3.5 V6 FWD Toyota Aurion (268hp/248lb-ft/3505lb) achieves 23.8mpg combined and an 0-60mph time of 7.4s, and a 4.0 I6 RWD Ford Falcon (262hp/288lb-ft/3756lb) achieves 23.3mpg and an 0-60 time of 7.3.

In other words, a Falcon that is 251lb heavier and faster (and torquier, longer, higher and wider, incidentally) than an Aurion travels half a mile shorter from one gallon of fuel, and that's supposed to be sufficient justification to dump large RWD platforms on the basis of fuel efficiency? Bollocks.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 14, 2009, 07:58:41 AM
I have seen Skylines with LHD Maxima dashboard....

There are companies that specialize in retrofitting 240SX steering columns and make reverse molds of GT-R dashboards.

It's more the firewall and some plumbing issues with the Skyline than anything else.

I hear the biggest problem is that they have to run a single turbo setup in the GT-Rs instead of the twin-turbo setup.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

In any case, every Falcon generation since the 1988 EA has been almost exactly the same boat - the Taurus was earmarked to replace both the EA and the '94 EF, to the point whereby the Ford Australia president at the time was shown the door; the '98 AU was never meant to be; the '02 BA was fought tooth-and-nail but eventually approved by Dearborn as Ford Australia's last chance; and the FG is now apparently the last of the RWD Falcons.

My goodness, Ford Australia - do whatever you can to get the next-generation Falcon into the Middle East and South-East Asia.

3.0L V6

I thought the killing of the rear-drive sedan was limited to the North American market only.

MX793

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on January 14, 2009, 11:17:59 AM
I thought the killing of the rear-drive sedan was limited to the North American market only.

This was their global RWD program (akin to GM's Zeta platform), which was slated to replace the Falcon in Australia and be sold in other markets as well (namely Europe and the ME, America wasn't really in the plan as a market but wasn't entirely ruled out either).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on January 14, 2009, 09:57:52 AM
There are companies that specialize in retrofitting 240SX steering columns and make reverse molds of GT-R dashboards.

It's more the firewall and some plumbing issues with the Skyline than anything else.

I hear the biggest problem is that they have to run a single turbo setup in the GT-Rs instead of the twin-turbo setup.

My understanding was that the location of some parts prevented a simple LHD conversion.  I thought I read that it was related to the steering box interfering with something when moved to the left side, or something blocking the path of the steering column (possibly one of the turbos).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on January 14, 2009, 07:28:00 AM
My local PD used primarily Luminas, now lots of Impalas. That's not an option?

Both of those cars you mentioned are universally despised among police.   FWD just is not as durable and usually more expensive to repair.

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on January 14, 2009, 08:20:36 PM
Both of those cars you mentioned are universally despised among police.   FWD just is not as durable and usually more expensive to repair.

What about Explorers?

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on January 15, 2009, 07:15:03 AM
What about Explorers?
The RCMP uses a lot of Explorers.  They also use a lot of Yukons and Full size Ford and GM pickups.  Of course they really only use these vehicles in areas where going offroad may be required to pursue a suspect or go to a crime scene.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 15, 2009, 09:58:28 AM
The RCMP uses a lot of Explorers.  They also use a lot of Yukons and Full size Ford and GM pickups.  Of course they really only use these vehicles in areas where going offroad may be required to pursue a suspect or go to a crime scene.

It's a RWD heavy-duty alternative to the Crown Victoria that can't cost too much more than the CV. And if officers don't like the comfort levels of the Charger, it may be a decent option.

TBR

Keep in mind the Explorer is going unibody in its next redesign.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on January 15, 2009, 10:40:50 AM
Keep in mind the Explorer is going unibody in its next redesign.

It's still around for now.

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on January 15, 2009, 07:15:03 AM
What about Explorers?

We have two.  With a gun belt on they are very uncomfortable and are very expensive to maintain.  The Charger is far more comfortable. 

Raza

My local smokies all drive Yukons or Tahoes.  We have a few CVs, but not many.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

I see alot of Tahoes on the NYS Thruway.  Maybe this is just coincidence, but everytime I see an 18 wheeler pulled over on 90 it is always an SUV cop.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: J86 on January 15, 2009, 08:27:18 PM
I see alot of Tahoes on the NYS Thruway.  Maybe this is just coincidence, but everytime I see an 18 wheeler pulled over on 90 it is always an SUV cop.

Motor Carrier division. They're SUVs so they have a place to put the scale.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 15, 2009, 08:33:19 PM
Motor Carrier division. They're SUVs so they have a place to put the scale.

The regular NYS Police has a lot of Tahoes.  The motor carrier guys typically use Ford and Dodge vans (though they may be switching over to Tahoes).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on January 15, 2009, 08:39:20 PM
The regular NYS Police has a lot of Tahoes.  The motor carrier guys typically use Ford and Dodge vans (though they may be switching over to Tahoes).

Maybe they're just insecure about pulling over a trucker with a CV?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

MX793

I believe that, in light of the fire issues with the CVPI, the NYS Police have started using the Tahoe in greater numbers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Atomic

i have to agree. judging from the parking lots of their stations, the mainly use suv's now. i generally only see chevys and a few dodge durangos.

J86

Both times I've spoken with the NYS constabulary on the Thruway they were driving CVs.  I wonder how long the trucks take to come catch me :lol:

L. ed foote

Quote from: J86 on January 16, 2009, 11:50:35 AM
Both times I've spoken with the NYS constabulary on the Thruway they were driving CVs.  I wonder how long the trucks take to come catch me :lol:

If the Tahoes on Rt 17 are any indication, not very long :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Northlands

Given the current financial situation North America and its automakers are in, this might be a good decision on their part for the time being. I consider everyone here on the website to be well above the general populace in the automotive knowledge and understanding department and in this case what we understand about cars isn't what Ford either will cater to or be banking on in the near future.

They might be fearing what the general public's reaction to having a bunch of rear drive vehicle's being put in the line up will do. I'm betting there are people out there that are terrified of driving RWD cars, and possibly think they are worse on fuel than FWD. I sure as hell know many believe that FWD vehicles are absolutely superior in sketchy weather ( which IMO is false as well..). Couple this up with what it may cost in R&D for making new RWD platforms for NA cars, ( Why they don't borrow from AUS is beyond me...) it begins to sound almost like a risky proposition. They need bailout money during all of this and likely don't want the perception of thinking too far out of the box, especially if they are already in a better financial position than both GM and Chrysler.

I could be very wrong, but its just my $.02 .

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on January 14, 2009, 07:41:37 AM
My point is, they have to develop a few all new platforms anyhow for various markets and categories. To say that one is being kiled of for fuel efficiency's sake seems a stretch, as it can't be THAT hard to develop an all new platform for either RWD or FWD that's fuel efficient.

I mean they are already filling up the interior with center tunnels that can accomodate RWD in their mainstream and small cars, (the fact that you dont' have to modify the floor pan or center tunnel to put a 5 liter V8 longitudinally driving the rear wheels on a Focus kinda proves that), so it can't be because of interior space issues. How hard would it have been to develop a platform for a car the size of the Taurus that was RWD AND fuel efficient? Weight is as much of an enemy to fuel efficiency as the slight additional driveline loss (and again, RWD cars have gotten outstanding fuel economy as well, at least as fuel efficient as modern midsizers and up).

No, fuel efficeincy as the reason for killing them seems to be fallacious.

Americans must only want RWD if there's a big gas guzzling V8 up front. :huh:

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 16, 2009, 09:19:40 PM
Americans must only want RWD if there's a big gas guzzling V8 up front. :huh:

Or a "premium" brand badge on the front like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac or Infiniti.
Needs more Jiggawatts

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on January 16, 2009, 10:06:28 PM
Or a "premium" brand badge on the front like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac or Infiniti.

Strange, because I don't think a Lexus buyer even cares what moves the car as long as it's quiet.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 16, 2009, 10:09:53 PM
Strange, because I don't think a Lexus buyer even cares what moves the car as long as it's quiet.

Wouldn't that describe most Buick buyers too?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Schadenfreude on January 19, 2009, 01:34:56 PM
Wouldn't that describe most Buick buyers too?

Wrong. Buick buyers demand the perfect enthusiast driving experience, with only the most cutting-edge and exciting high-performance drivetrains.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)