Do you believe in man-made global warming?

Started by giant_mtb, January 15, 2009, 10:47:59 AM

Do you believe that global warming is man-made?

Yes
4 (10%)
No
18 (45%)
I think it's natural and we contributed.
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 16, 2009, 06:15:43 AM

That's no proof of anything. Very small changes can have large effects, and that applies to lots of natural systems.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

I'm aware of that.  My point is...why don't we just get rid of all the water vapor in the atmosphere?  !??!JKF!?#F?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

J86

280Z Turbo

I guess the scientific consensus here on CarSPIN is that the earth is too big for humans to pollute it.

This is not man-made smog, this is regular old fog:

This stuff is green, it must be alive:

These fish died of loneliness:

TBR

It's one thing to pollute specific areas at land, it is quite another to pollute the entire atmosphere.

Tave

Pollution and global warming are seperate issues.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 17, 2009, 12:36:39 PM
Pollution and global warming are seperate issues.
Absolutely.

Pollution is a big problem, but pollution does not cause global warming.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 17, 2009, 12:45:03 PM
Absolutely.

Pollution is a big problem, but pollution does not cause global warming.

You know what I mean, I just couldn't think of a better word.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on January 17, 2009, 01:08:30 PM
You know what I mean, I just couldn't think of a better word.
No I don't know what you mean.  You showed pictures of pollution.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 17, 2009, 02:59:09 PM
No I don't know what you mean.  You showed pictures of pollution.

That wasn't him.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on January 17, 2009, 12:34:15 PM
It's one thing to pollute specific areas at land, it is quite another to pollute the entire atmosphere.

What if everyone everywhere is doing it?

saxonyron

Quote from: Psilos on January 16, 2009, 06:57:37 PM
That's no proof of anything. Very small changes can have large effects, and that applies to lots of natural systems.

Except the data points to warming taking place first, then CO2 concentrations increasing.  The CO2 lags the actualy warming.  The vast majority of the warming we've seen the last 100 years took place before 1940, long before our CO2 levels increased.  This would point to the solar cycle warming the earth more, and consequently warming the oceans.  Warmer ocean water releases more CO2 - and the oceans release vastly more CO2 than all man-made sources.  The numbers still don't add up guys! 

We're talking about random increases in natural CO2 due to natural causes.  The natural variations alone involve many times the amount of human caused CO2.  So since these natural variations are huge and random, how come we're still pretending that devestating the global economy and crippling industry to decrease human CO2 releases by 10% or some other contrived amount is going to matter a hill of poop to the global climate?  This is some silly shit these people are talking about, and no one wants to admit that the Global Warming emporer hasn't got any freaking clothes on!   

But yes, the GW question has been sufficiently beaten to death.  Sadly, phony science is still carrying the day in most countries.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

CO2 concentrations have been increasing since the 18th century...

r0tor

I think "Global Warming" was found to be a sham when the greenie's started to correct themselves and now call it "Global Climate Change"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

saxonyron

Quote from: Psilos on January 22, 2009, 01:15:12 AM

Sadly, you're stuck with the Inconvenient Truth of negative causality, where most of the observed warming took place prior to 1940 when industrial emissions were much much less, and now we see the last couple of decades showing no warming at all, when the CO2 levels are at their highest. I dunno, but you GW Church members seem to have a lot of contradictions in your beliefs, and an uncanny ability to dismiss and ridicule any other valid scientific opinions.  Fortunately I don't think the GW house of cards can stand much more shaking, and it should come tumbling down soon enough.  Hopefully before too much more economic and political damage is done. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 17, 2009, 11:29:44 AM
I guess the scientific consensus here on CarSPIN is that the earth is too big for humans to pollute it.

This is not man-made smog, this is regular old fog:

This stuff is green, it must be alive:

These fish died of loneliness:

This isn't about pollution, buckshot.  I'm all about stopping pollution.  Cool.  Good.  Let's stop throwing trash into piles and killing fish.

Global warming...?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Psilos on January 17, 2009, 02:01:09 AM
One hopes you are joshing. ;)

BUT IF WATER VAPOR IS SO MUCH MORE POTENT AS A GREENHOUSE GAS AND WE BREATHE THE STUFF OUT CONSTANTLY (AS WELL AS C02), SHOULDN'T WELL JUST STOP BREATHING AND STOP MAKING WATER VAPOR?!!!?!  IT WOULD ONLY MAKE SENSE TO AL GORE.  DON'T ASK QUESTIONS, JUST BELIEVE MY TRUTHZ!!!

93JC

It's just like I said in the "If you were world dictator..." thread: the most effective means of stopping global warming is mass executions.

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2009, 08:21:17 AM
BUT IF WATER VAPOR IS SO MUCH MORE POTENT AS A GREENHOUSE GAS AND WE BREATHE THE STUFF OUT CONSTANTLY (AS WELL AS C02), SHOULDN'T WELL JUST STOP BREATHING AND STOP MAKING WATER VAPOR?!!!?!  IT WOULD ONLY MAKE SENSE TO AL GORE.  DON'T ASK QUESTIONS, JUST BELIEVE MY TRUTHZ!!!

Well, it means Hydrogen vehicles are more poluting than petro/diesel vehicles since they put out water vapor which is a more potent green house gas.  Hell, we should drain the entire ocean because that puts out more green house gases than anythiing we do, and we need to save the world!

r0tor

for the record, year to date my area is 4 degrees F below normal
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

...another bit of grist to chew on Antarctica warming after all, study says.

While past research has generally concluded that much of Antarctica was cooling, a new study suggests the continent is warming after all.

For years, Antarctica was an enigma to scientists who track the effects of global warming. Glaciers along the Antarctic peninsula ? the long spit of land that stretches towards South America ? have been hit hard by warming temperatures. But despite coastal warming, readings from other areas suggested a slight cooling effect.

The new study went back further than earlier work and filled in a massive gap in data with satellite information to find that Antarctica too is getting warmer, like Earth's other six continents.

The findings were published in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

"Contrarians have sometime grabbed on to this idea that the entire continent of Antarctica is cooling, so how could we be talking about global warming," said study co-author Michael Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State University. "Now we can say: no, it's not true?. It is not bucking the trend."

The study does not point to man-made climate change as the cause of the Antarctic warming ? doing so is a highly intricate scientific process ? but a different and smaller study out late last year did make that connection.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

NomisR

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 01:59:03 PM
Well, it's the summer there, of course it's getting warmer..
You might try reading the article ;).
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 22, 2009, 02:03:49 PM
You might try reading the article ;).

If the link was there when I replied,  I would've read it..

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 02:07:09 PM
If the link was there when I replied,  I would've read it..
Have you read it yet? :huh:

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 22, 2009, 02:19:56 PM
Have you read it yet? :huh:

Yeah, that still doesn't prove global warming is man made though.  It just says it's warming along with the other continents.

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 02:20:47 PM
Yeah, that still doesn't prove global warming is man made though.  It just says it's warming along with the other continents.
It's not a matter of proving anything.  It's only that ongoing research reveils another perspective from the commonly held acceptance that the Antarctica is cooling.

Rupert

Quote from: saxonyron on January 22, 2009, 07:11:06 AM
Sadly, you're stuck with the Inconvenient Truth of negative causality, where most of the observed warming took place prior to 1940 when industrial emissions were much much less, and now we see the last couple of decades showing no warming at all, when the CO2 levels are at their highest. I dunno, but you GW Church members seem to have a lot of contradictions in your beliefs, and an uncanny ability to dismiss and ridicule any other valid scientific opinions.  Fortunately I don't think the GW house of cards can stand much more shaking, and it should come tumbling down soon enough.  Hopefully before too much more economic and political damage is done. 

Quote from: Psilos on January 22, 2009, 01:15:12 AM

Rupert

And now you say, "But the Earth has had much higher CO2 levels before!," and "But that's a log scale!".

Then I say, "Rate of change!," and "No kidding!"

;)