Do you believe in man-made global warming?

Started by giant_mtb, January 15, 2009, 10:47:59 AM

Do you believe that global warming is man-made?

Yes
4 (10%)
No
18 (45%)
I think it's natural and we contributed.
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 36

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2009, 08:18:57 AM
This isn't about pollution, buckshot.  I'm all about stopping pollution.  Cool.  Good.  Let's stop throwing trash into piles and killing fish.

Global warming...?

People used to think that the earth was so big that nothing we could do could really pollute it. I'm pointing out that this isn't true.

JWC

Global warming isn't about "saving" the earth.  The earth will survive global warming (or climate change) and so will the wildlife that inhabits it, including humans.  It is about saving our way of life.  That is the scam of global warming that no one wants to admit. 

Rupert

That's true. The problem is that a lot of the places that will be most negatively affected have not contributed nearly as much as the West or China. It's about us rich people imposing damaging and negative consequences on poorer nations. If our pollution only affected us, it would be a much smaller problem. Additionally, it's not good for extinction to occur unnaturally, which is what happens when us humans change the ecosystem.

But, of course, in a few million years, there will probably not be any more humans, and new plants and animals will have evolved in a natural way.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

As I understand it, carbon quotas are more harmfull to poor nations than they are to us.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JWC

Quote from: Psilos on January 23, 2009, 08:29:49 PM
That's true. The problem is that a lot of the places that will be most negatively affected have not contributed nearly as much as the West or China. It's about us rich people imposing damaging and negative consequences on poorer nations. If our pollution only affected us, it would be a much smaller problem. Additionally, it's not good for extinction to occur unnaturally, which is what happens when us humans change the ecosystem.

But, of course, in a few million years, there will probably not be any more humans, and new plants and animals will have evolved in a natural way.

Would a volcano be unnatural?  How about a asteroid?

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 09:24:22 PM

Nope. Fine line, sure.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 09:03:17 PM
As I understand it, carbon quotas are more harmfull to poor nations than they are to us.

That's political, so I don't pay attention to it. :lol:

Onslaught

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 08:10:42 PM
Global warming isn't about "saving" the earth.  The earth will survive global warming (or climate change) and so will the wildlife that inhabits it, including humans.  It is about saving our way of life.  That is the scam of global warming that no one wants to admit. 
Not sure all the wildlife will survive.

JWC

Quote from: Onslaught on January 23, 2009, 10:32:26 PM
Not sure all the wildlife will survive.

I wouldn't expect all wildlife is going to survive anyway.  The loss of the DoDo bird wasn't a big deal in the overall scheme of things.   We as humans tend to place a high priority on saving every species from extinction, but it isn't possible, and probably isn't worth the battle in most cases.

History Channel ran a program this past summer about life without humans.  We're not needed. Or are we?  We seem to think that the survival of the loggerhead turtle is imperative to maintaining a balance in nature, but we discount our own contributions.  Animals will destroy their habitat to the point of their own extinction.  Then, the habitat will recover and different animals return. 

This happens even when humans step in to correct a problem humans started...which is something we need to keep in mind in regards to global warming.  I'm reminded of a small island off of Antarctica, where humans introduced rabbits for food.  When the rabbit population got out of hand, they introduced cats to control the rabbit population.  When the rabbit population died off, the cats began eating the native birds.  To correct this, scientists removed the cats.  With the cats gone, the rabbit population got out of control again.  Now the vegetation is being destroyed by the rabbits, which is harming the habitat of the other wildlife.  The lesson is, even when man causes the problem, his solutions usually do more damage than if they had left it alone. 

Throughout Al Gore's movie, the main fear he tried to instill was how global warming would affect us.   You can defend it by saying that he had to put it on a level that would jolt humans into doing the right thing, but the long and short of it is, it still comes down to people worried about their own survival and way of life.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 09:03:17 PM

Sure. Do GWists honestly believe that UN pimping will actually save Africa, and the extremely poor parts of South American and SE Asia? Poor countries' survival depends on cheap sources of energy. It's simply not going to happen any other way.

GW is the very worst of self-loathing; haters want the US bucked down for being the best, to "spread the wealth around" and otherwise atone for past sins (colonialism, imperialism, and winning wars).

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 11:30:38 PM
I wouldn't expect all wildlife is going to survive anyway.  The loss of the DoDo bird wasn't a big deal in the overall scheme of things.   We as humans tend to place a high priority on saving every species from extinction, but it isn't possible, and probably isn't worth the battle in most cases.

History Channel ran a program this past summer about life without humans.  We're not needed. Or are we?  We seem to think that the survival of the loggerhead turtle is imperative to maintaining a balance in nature, but we discount our own contributions.  Animals will destroy their habitat to the point of their own extinction.  Then, the habitat will recover and different animals return. 

This happens even when humans step in to correct a problem humans started...which is something we need to keep in mind in regards to global warming.  I'm reminded of a small island off of Antarctica, where humans introduced rabbits for food.  When the rabbit population got out of hand, they introduced cats to control the rabbit population.  When the rabbit population died off, the cats began eating the native birds.  To correct this, scientists removed the cats.  With the cats gone, the rabbit population got out of control again.  Now the vegetation is being destroyed by the rabbits, which is harming the habitat of the other wildlife.  The lesson is, even when man causes the problem, his solutions usually do more damage than if they had left it alone. 

Throughout Al Gore's movie, the main fear he tried to instill was how global warming would affect us.   You can defend it by saying that he had to put it on a level that would jolt humans into doing the right thing, but the long and short of it is, it still comes down to people worried about their own survival and way of life.

The lesson is, don't fuck with nature to begin with!

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Rupert

In a greatly generalized sense, it is. If not that, what?

(I was referring to the third paragraph of JWC's post, BTW).

FoMoJo

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 09:24:22 PM
I believe that even humans are a part of nature so anything they do can be determined as natural.  However, as we do, pretty much, have the wherewithall to destroy the planet, it's in our self interest not to do so.

As for volcanos, the effect is, almost, like what humans do in slow motion; taking the industrial age as a starting point.

Asteroids will likely be the cause of our demise; unless we have time to spread to other parts of the universe before that inevitable event occurs.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on January 24, 2009, 02:53:06 AM
If not that, what?

Simply by existing, humans are going to "fuck with" nature. We have to ask ourselves whether protecting nature from a certain fuck up is worth our time, nay even possible.

Rupert

Granted. Still, there are things we can do to fuck with nature less, like not introduce non-native and invasive species to little islands.

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on January 24, 2009, 02:11:46 PM
Granted. Still, there are things we can do to fuck with nature less, like not introduce non-native and invasive species to little islands.

Why should we care?

European exploration and colonization managed to irrevocably alter the biosphere of the entire continent of North America. Sagegrass, cattle, horses: these had much larger consequences than some rabbits on an island no one cares about.

Now, I think preservation and conservation are commendable, and in lot of cases worthwhile, goals, but we can't become obsessed with it to the point that we cause real harm to ourselves and other people. I think sometimes the environmental movement refuses to face that reality.

hounddog

No.  I believe Carl Sagan is wholy responsible for this junk science, and the biggest lie ever perpetrated upon the world.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hounddog on January 24, 2009, 04:55:13 PM
No.  I believe Carl Sagan is wholy responsible for this junk science, and the biggest lie ever perpetrated upon the world.

LOL yeah Carl Sagan is such a retard.  :rolleyes:
Maybe you should blame the politicians who portray scientific theories as facts in order to promote their social agendas.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hounddog

Well, them as well.  But, it was the "scientific" community who nudged the far left toward believing this great lie.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

GoCougs

Look no further than the publication Scientific American for the leftist political infiltration of scientific academia.

And yes, people are more important than polar bears.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on January 24, 2009, 07:34:10 PM
Look no further than the publication Scientific American for the leftist political infiltration of scientific academia.

But the Bearz is in our coke commercialz!  :cry:

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on January 24, 2009, 07:40:38 PM

But the Bearz is in our coke commercialz!  :cry:

Oh, I'm sure the only thing that tastes better than polar bear is polar bear raised on sweet, sticky Coca Cola!

2o6

It gives it a nice flavor. Not as overpowering as teriyaki.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on January 24, 2009, 07:34:10 PM

I don't know. I don't think people are all that important.

Rupert

The idea that people are more important than the rest of nature is entirely at odds with the idea that people and the things we do are natural.

JWC

Quote from: Psilos on January 24, 2009, 08:28:12 PM
The idea that people are more important than the rest of nature is entirely at odds with the idea that people and the things we do are natural.

We must be more important than nature.  We spend millions trying to shore up eroding beaches so million dollar homes will not crash into the ocean.  We spend millions per year trying to figure out how the stop an asteroid hit, should the need arise.  We are spending millions per year trying to figure out how to control weather.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on January 25, 2009, 07:23:21 AM
We must be more important than nature.  We spend millions trying to shore up eroding beaches so million dollar homes will not crash into the ocean.  We spend millions per year trying to figure out how the stop an asteroid hit, should the need arise.  We are spending millions per year trying to figure out how to control weather.

Do you know how many trillions of ant bucks the ants spend building nests, ant hills, underground waste chambers, and otherwise defacing the planet? No, I didn't think so.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on January 24, 2009, 08:10:12 PM
I don't know. I don't think people are all that important.

Perhaps not, but certainly more so than ants, polar bears or pseudo naturalist religion.