Do you believe in man-made global warming?

Started by giant_mtb, January 15, 2009, 10:47:59 AM

Do you believe that global warming is man-made?

Yes
4 (10%)
No
18 (45%)
I think it's natural and we contributed.
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on January 25, 2009, 02:19:25 PM
Perhaps not, but certainly more so than ants, polar bears or pseudo naturalist religion.
I don't know if I agree. We have lots more humans then Polar Bears. We could stand to lose some humans.
I'll do my part by not contributing to the human problem by not reproducing.

Rupert

I put less value on people than on the natural world, actually.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Psilos on January 25, 2009, 02:56:56 PM
The line in the Matrix about us being a Virus is kind of true in my book. I'm not some nut job tree fucker or anything. But animals don't have anyway of fighting for them self's so I feel that someone has to do it for them. And I grew up in the country and have seen first hand what people do to nature and how everything gets fucked up when we move in.
Some people don't give a shit about anything other than their own asses. I think you can try to find a compromise that will try and help out the overall world.

And to be honest I don't feel human life is as important as most people do. We're just really lucky animals in the end.

Tave

Duly noted. We'll be sure to remember that when we're all starving on the lifeboat and trying to decide who to eat. :ohyeah:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Onslaught

Quote from: Tave on January 25, 2009, 03:28:55 PM
Duly noted. We'll be sure to remember that when we're all starving on the lifeboat and trying to decide who to eat. :ohyeah:
Not much meat on me. And I'm getting old so it wouldn't be tender. I'd use me for bait to see if you could catch something better.
That is if we don't net all the fish out of the sea before then. 

GoCougs

Jeez, guys. What a depressing world view. How do you get up in the morning?

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on January 25, 2009, 03:35:28 PM
Jeez, guys. What a depressing world view. How do you get up in the morning?
I don't hate humanity. I just think we're full of our self's and not as smart or important as we seem to think we are.

Oh, and with an alarm clock.

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on January 25, 2009, 02:56:56 PM

So what stops you from cashing in your chips?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on January 25, 2009, 02:12:14 PM
Then we are not natural.

We aren't?

So, are we supernatural, artificial, or imaginary?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on January 25, 2009, 03:28:55 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 03:47:40 PM
We aren't?

So, are we supernatural, artificial, or imaginary?

I was being a bit hyperbolic. Humans are natural. We evolved. What we do is largely artificial.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on January 25, 2009, 04:20:17 PM
I was being a bit hyperbolic. Humans are natural. We evolved. What we do is largely artificial.

If we're natural, then doesn't it follow that everything we do is also natural?

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 04:38:11 PM
how about some of the stuff we do is naturally stupid?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on January 25, 2009, 04:42:25 PM
how about some of the stuff we do is naturally stupid?

Sure. Lemmings are stupid, aren't they?

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 04:44:20 PM
Sure. Lemmings are stupid, aren't they?
I don't know. Perhaps they know something I don't.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 25, 2009, 04:48:40 PM
Not really.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

OK, got me, but damn, this: "A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary, Cruel Camera, found that the lemmings used for White Wilderness were flown from Hudson Bay to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they did not jump off the cliff, but in fact were launched off the cliff using a turntable.[11]"

is awesome.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 04:38:11 PM

No.

Soup DeVille

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 04:52:56 PM
OK, got me, but damn, this: "A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary, Cruel Camera, found that the lemmings used for White Wilderness were flown from Hudson Bay to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they did not jump off the cliff, but in fact were launched off the cliff using a turntable.[11]"

is awesome.

Now that's a cool job!  Catapults would've been even better.

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 04:52:56 PM

is awesome.

Reminds me of.................

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 26, 2009, 10:50:34 AM
Well thought out response.

So in that "no" mindset, we have to ask it, Where does naturalism end?

Humans hunting buffalo by scaring herds off cliffs? With spears? With bow-n-arrow? With flintlocks? With modern cartridge rifles?

Humans building homes out of caves? Out of tipis? Out of thatch-covered wood frames? Out of stone and mud brick? Out of processes wood and composite shingle?

Hmmm...

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2009, 12:57:26 PM

Humans hunting buffalo by scaring herds off cliffs? With spears? With bow-n-arrow? With flintlocks? With modern cartridge rifles?

Humans building homes out of caves? Out of tipis? Out of thatch-covered wood frames? Out of stone and mud brick? Out of processes wood and composite shingle?

Hmmm...

Once tools are involved, it's no longer natural.  That's why we have to live in trees and wlak around naked.  We can't wear fur or any type of clothing because it's unnatural.  And we have to bite off the heads of the prays or forager, otherwise, we're not of the nature.

Why else do you think the greenies hate technology... they want everyone to live like animals of course. 

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on January 26, 2009, 01:45:26 PM
Once tools are involved, it's no longer natural.  That's why we have to live in trees and wlak around naked.  We can't wear fur or any type of clothing because it's unnatural.  And we have to bite off the heads of the prays or forager, otherwise, we're not of the nature.

Why else do you think the greenies hate technology... they want everyone to live like animals of course. 

Exactly, and therein lies the naturalists' problem.

Primates use sticks to fish ants out of anthills.

Otters use rocks to crush seashells.

Elephants use branches to swap away flies.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2009, 02:16:39 PM
Exactly, and therein lies the naturalists' problem.

Primates use sticks to fish ants out of anthills.

Otters use rocks to crush seashells.

Elephants use branches to swap away flies.

But wait.. that's natural because they're all a part of nature.. what we do isn't natural anymore because we're man, and it would be man-made! 

GoCougs

Is iron not a part of nature? Man only discovered iron after coming upon naturally smelted iron ore. Man simply took a queue from mother nature to make iron in volume - iron ore is natural, fire is natural, man beating on hot iron with rocks is as natural as an otter smashing seashells with a rock.

So what is the fundamental premise that allows modern man to do with "nature" what animals cannot. Animals use stones, but could animals build the Great Pyramids? Animals use sticks, but could animals build a thatch hut?

They've got themselves in quite a quandary - "unnatural" is the presence of cognitive thought.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2009, 12:57:26 PM

Hmmm...

There's a big 'ole gray area, but on either side it's black and white. Our pollution is distinctly on the unnatural side. Chimps fishing termites out of holes is on the natural side of the gray area, and humans building grass huts and flint knapping is on the unnatural side. IMO, it's more of a continuum than a line.

GoCougs

Quote from: Psilos on January 26, 2009, 07:19:10 PM
There's a big 'ole gray area, but on either side it's black and white. Our pollution is distinctly on the unnatural side. Chimps fishing termites out of holes is on the natural side of the gray area, and humans building grass huts and flint knapping is on the unnatural side. IMO, it's more of a continuum than a line.

So what if we had 6,000,000 humans fishing termites out of holes, beating seashells with rocks, and building nests in trees?

Is this unnatural; and would we not significantly alter the environment if we lived like modern primates?