Dealership closings in your area...?

Started by JWC, January 17, 2009, 10:54:07 PM

TBR

Quote from: thecarnut on January 19, 2009, 09:04:10 PM
Everyone hates on YO for no reason...

If you had been on C/D since the good old days then you would've known that he's a cool guy.

I have been on C/D longer than pretty much anyone who made the switch and I am not a big fan...

Tave

What, were you like twelve years old at the time? :evildude:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 19, 2009, 11:24:48 PM
What, were you like twelve years old at the time? :evildude:

I was like 12 when I joined, and I'm a few years older too.

I don't think I was even literate at the age TBR claims to have joined C&D.  :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: TBR on January 19, 2009, 10:34:37 PM
I have been on C/D longer than pretty much anyone who made the switch and I am not a big fan...
I liked him at C/D. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

TBR

ifcar

I remembered the Yo from C/D as very, very, ah, enthusiastic about anything built by Honda, but don't remember too much else.

S204STi

He has Honda-trollish tendencies, sure.  But meh...

Either way, he knows what he's talking about in this case, and I just wanted to give our younger member some perspective before he made even more of an ass out of himself.

GoCougs

Yo's comments about dealers are spot on.

Like many sectors of the economy, most notably those that were riding the tide of consumer credit, many are destined to shrink if not disappear.

YO

the worst part, like in the housing industry, I could have told you about every bank that has failed or is on the brink currently, because they made BAD LOAN DECISION on automobiles too. Could have told you what dealer groups would struggle the most... aka BILL HEARD... lie, cheat and steal... your day will come

Greed from the top... not just manufacturers.. .banks... suppliers etc etc.
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

JWC

Quote from: YO on January 20, 2009, 09:31:53 AM
the worst part, like in the housing industry, I could have told you about every bank that has failed or is on the brink currently, because they made BAD LOAN DECISION on automobiles too. Could have told you what dealer groups would struggle the most... aka BILL HEARD... lie, cheat and steal... your day will come

I agree.  This has developed into the "perfect storm" for instutions to fail.

dazzleman

Quote from: YO on January 20, 2009, 09:31:53 AM

The whole thing became a house of cards.  Keeping sales going by lending money to people to buy things they couldn't afford isn't really a good economic model for the long run.  I guess we're finding that out right about now.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Mitsubishi found that out in 1999, and they're still suffering from the consequences of putting people in new cars who don't deserve to be 10 years after the fact.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JWC

I was just reading on FMCdealer that a Dodge store closed yesterday in Flat Rock, MI.  They informed their employees at 3pm that it was their last day....now that's cold hearted.

omicron

Quote from: JWC on January 19, 2009, 08:05:47 PM
It isn't true now, but is was back in 1991..when I was with Benz.

I'm sure it has had an affect on the other dealerships.  The original plan as it was explained to me was to tighten up the dealership count...keeping large dealers in high population areas, but provide service centers for factory service in less populated areas.   It seemed that it would have been the best of both worlds.  I would have kept my Saab if there had been a service center closer than 90 miles.

That's how many of the European brands do it here - a main dealership or two in the major metropolitan areas supported by factory authorised service centres in the outer suburbs and larger country towns. Many of the larger Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi dealerships have service centres located away from the main dealership, too; generally near the CBD where cars can be dropped off and picked up before and after work.

93JC

Quote from: R-inge on January 19, 2009, 08:38:26 PM
Hey 2o6, before you run your mouth too much Yo is actually a decent guy who knows quite a lot about the dealership business, so either contribute something or excuse yourself from the thread please.

Do you remember the picture mattc took of himself holding a notepad saying "FUCK YOU YO"?

:lol: Good times.

YO

You forget, I first made a picture of myself in my S2000 flipping him off... good times, good times.

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2009, 10:20:10 AM
Do you remember the picture mattc took of himself holding a notepad saying "FUCK YOU YO"?

BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2009, 10:20:10 AM

That was when mattc just got his ES330 right? :lol:

There was another  "FUCK YOU YO" picture with a middle finger in it that mattc took. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Another big Houston area dealer, Lawrence Marshall, is closing it's doors.