Newb-aru questions... STi vs WRX

Started by r0tor, January 20, 2009, 05:26:30 PM

GoCougs

I'd totally go for a base model Legacy GT - it's not only better looking, but so much more car for a measly $2k more. You could even get a low-mileage '08 for well less than an '09 WRX. I've even seen '08 Legacy GT Spec.Bs for '09 WRX money (~$25k).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 20, 2009, 06:53:57 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure heated seats are not standard on the A4.  Not only that, but I'm sure checking the "heated seats" option box requires you get several other options as well (typical Audi pricing, there's no such thing as a stand-alone option).

I beat you to the punch. I looked it up, and you can either upgrade to the "Premium Plus" for $36k, or you can get them as a stand alone option fro $450.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: NACar on January 20, 2009, 06:55:54 PM
I beat you to the punch. I looked it up, and you can either upgrade to the "Premium Plus" for $36k, or you can get them as a stand alone option fro $450.

Did you actually price it out with their configurator?  There are a lot of options that appear stand alone until you go to their configurator and it pops up with "to get this option requires you pick one of the following options".  And sometimes selecting one of those requires you pick yet a third option.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

I hesitate to say it, but it's true:  A WRX is not a luxury car, and it's hard to treat it as such.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 20, 2009, 06:57:54 PM
Did you actually price it out with their configurator?  There are a lot of options that appear stand alone until you go to their configurator and it pops up with "to get this option requires you pick one of the following options".  And sometimes selecting one of those requires you pick yet a third option.

I checked off the heated seats option, and it didn't tell me I had to group it with anything else. Total price came otu toe $33,625. :huh: But that doesn't mean it will be easy to find one optioned as such on a dealer's lot.

One option I can't find is the 6-speed manual. It lists it as an option on the trim comparison chart, but not when on the configurator.

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2009, 06:54:29 PM
I'd totally go for a base model Legacy GT - it's not only better looking, but so much more car for a measly $2k more. You could even get a low-mileage '08 for well less than an '09 WRX. I've even seen '08 Legacy GT Spec.Bs for '09 WRX money (~$25k).

^^^Listen to him^^^
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on January 20, 2009, 07:04:03 PM
^^^shameless^^^

:lol:

It didn't sound like a WRX was really his kind of car, to be honest.  I just believe in sharing the love for a wonderful brand of car.

Also, Legacies are made in a zero landfill plant in Indiana ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2009, 07:28:29 PM
It didn't sound like a WRX was really his kind of car, to be honest.  I just believe in sharing the love for a wonderful brand of car.

Also, Legacies are made in a zero landfill plant in Indiana ;)

Zero landfill? So they just have an incinerator  :evildude: j/k, that's pretty cool, actually.

But yeah, the all-wheel-drive econo-rocket WRX isn't exactly going to be a move up coming from an RX-8. A Legacy would be more so, but since he mentioned the price ceiling of $40k and wants AWD, I had to mention an A4.

S204STi

r0tor

Legacy is too family carish... that would scare me and excite my girlfriend far too much
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

The luxury just isn't going to happen as you want it to with the Impreza.  I have to recommend the Spec.B.

It is an STI-lite.

Raza

I'd probably just buy a Legacy spec.B over the 09 WRX or STI.  The WRX may be faster than the 08, but until I drive one for myself, I'm going to assume they haven't been able to engineer out the piece-of-shitness that was all over the 08.  The STI is too fucking expensive, in my opinion. 

If I were you, I'd try and find a slightly used, elderly owned (they do exist) Evo IX.  It's a better car than the lot of them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: r0tor on January 21, 2009, 10:01:03 AM
Legacy is too family carish... that would scare me and excite my girlfriend far too much
Smart man!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

If you want true leather heated seats and all of the fun amenities of a not-economy car, don't go looking for things based on economy cars.

Dare I say it, but if you don't mind the lumpy styling and the wrong-wheel-drive, you might find what you need in a MazdaSpeed3.

NomisR

When did the current Legacy get facelifted? 

the Teuton

It came out in 2005, was facelifted for 2007, and it gets replaced  with something less attractive for 2010.

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on January 21, 2009, 04:08:45 PM
It came out in 2005, was facelifted for 2007, and it gets replaced  with something less attractive for 2010.

How can you get less attractive than the current car, it's already bland enough as is.

Tave

I think it has a pretty clean design, myself. It's certainly a lot better looking than the current WRX.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on January 21, 2009, 04:18:31 PM
I think it has a pretty clean design, myself. It's certainly a lot better looking than the current WRX.

Well, I'm not saying its bad looking.  It looks pretty good.. just good in a vanilla sorta way.

Tave

My friend has a black on black on black Spec-B, debadged. It looks really sleek, and it makes a great sleeper.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MaxPower

Quote from: NomisR on January 21, 2009, 04:14:13 PM
How can you get less attractive than the current car, it's already bland enough as is.
Well the previous gen 01?-04 got hit pretty hard with both the ugly and bland sticks.

the Teuton

The current Legacy is one of the best-looking mainstream sedans on the market right now.  It's a mix of conservative understated design with a low beltline and great proportions.

Seriously, someone find a better-looking family sedan right now.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on January 21, 2009, 10:01:03 AM
Legacy is too family carish...

And a hatchback isn't?

Don't tell me you're looking at an Impreza sedan! :mask:

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on January 21, 2009, 04:49:02 PM
And a hatchback isn't?

Ewwwwww
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on January 21, 2009, 04:49:02 PM
And a hatchback isn't?

the impreza hatchback is about the size of my car... not shabby... for the record in the looks department i like the sti then the wrx sedan then the wrx hatch.  The hatch looks so blah without the fender flares...

now i'm reading all the stories of ringlands breaking on the sti motors... what the hell is happening to subaru these days?!?!?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

These cars are not driven like Buicks.  Most owners who report these things abuse the snot out of them.

r0tor

many are reporting failures int he first couple thousand miles though... something seems odd

GoCougs

I know anecdotes as data make the Internet a little less enjoyable, but virtually every single person I've known with a Subaru, if there are problems it's the engine, and specifically, the heads and oil leaks, well before the car is shot (~100,000 miles).

I've geared myself up for the 2010 Outback, but these personal stories I've recently become privy too are making me think twice. Overall they're good cars, but the engines are the definite weak link.

FWIW, driving a car hard is destined to shorten life, but it will not ruin rings or bearings in a few thousand miles save for it being used as a race car.

S204STi

I'd say the proportion of failures is rather small.  What you see on Nabisco is a very vocal minority of Subaru owners.

There were issues with head gasket failure in the 90s, but AFAIK that is a thing of the past.  Also, the Legacy has had relatively few complaints, as far as I can tell, which accompanied with the owner base of the Impreza, means that the problem may not be with the car but with the drivers.