2005 4 passenger Coupes

Started by SVT666, January 21, 2009, 11:17:20 PM

Which one would you buy if a gun was put to your head?

2005 Mustang GT, 300 hp, 0-60 mph in 5.0
5 (11.9%)
2005 Pontiac GTO, 400 hp, 0-60 mph in 4.6
27 (64.3%)
2005 Infiniti G35, 280 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.3
7 (16.7%)
2005 Honda Accord V6, 240 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.2
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

NomisR

Quote from: TBR on January 22, 2009, 11:16:10 AM
I would buy one, but only because they are significantly cheaper than the other options.

So you're the only one that picked the Accord?

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 11:20:17 AM
So you're the only one that picked the Accord?

No, I voted for the GTO. The Eclipse is in a significantly lower price range used than the other cars.

ChrisV

Only year for Sonic Blue. I want one with the painted pearl white stripes and the CDC rear spoiler (not the stock wing, like this pic shows):

The GTO may be a tick faster in stock form, but it just doesn't connect emotionally with me like the Mustang does.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: ChrisV on January 22, 2009, 11:30:30 AM

The GTO may be a tick faster in stock form, but it just doesn't connect emotionally with me like the Mustang does.

But it's a chick car!  [/duck]

Raza

The GTO and the Mustang both tug at my heartstrings.  The Mustang is one of the coolest cars out there, but the GTO is one of the best of its day. 

GTO.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2009, 02:10:17 PM
The GTO and the Mustang both tug at my heartstrings.  The Mustang is one of the coolest cars out there, but the GTO is one of the best of its day. 

GTO.

Lies!  You would not take a car w/o a sun/moonroof!

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 02:11:23 PM

I'd have one installed!

The G35 is the only appealing car with that option, and it's really not going to make me spend money on it unless it's significantly cheaper than the others, which it won't be.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 02:11:23 PM

Which reminds me, the Mustang GT is the only one listed here that comes in this version:

Since I love convertibles, this would be a major plus, now that the prices have dropped on the '05-06s...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on January 22, 2009, 02:48:50 PM
Which reminds me, the Mustang GT is the only one listed here that comes in this version:

Since I love convertibles, this would be a major plus, now that the prices have dropped on the '05-06s...

I'm still thinking about one.  Although just a GT with a stick, and hopefully no spoiler, but I'm sure if I did get one, I could find something a bit smaller for it.  It's not even size, I just don't really like the way the Mustang's spoiler looks. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2009, 02:50:55 PM
I'm still thinking about one.  Although just a GT with a stick, and hopefully no spoiler, but I'm sure if I did get one, I could find something a bit smaller for it.  It's not even size, I just don't really like the way the Mustang's spoiler looks. 

THe one I was talking about is similar to that convertibles, but even smaller. THe CDC rear spoiler is about perfect, to me:

Raza

It's a little vertical, but I suppose it ought to be.  I like it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: ChrisV on January 22, 2009, 02:55:17 PM
THe one I was talking about is similar to that convertibles, but even smaller. THe CDC rear spoiler is about perfect, to me:

That looks amazing!  I'm having a bit of trouble deciding whether I'd go for the Mustang GT or the GTO.  I love both, and both are in the running for my next car.  Need to go on some test drives...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Nethead

2005 Mustang GT FTW!  No question.

TBR:  HOW 'BOUT THOSE HOKIES!

HEMI666:  The fold-down back seat in the Mustang trumps the somewhat larger rear seat area in the GTO, whose backseat can't fold down because the fuel tank is in the trunk :nutty:
So many stairs...so little time...

Onslaught

Quote from: ChrisV on January 22, 2009, 02:55:17 PM

Taking the crap off the quarter glass would help it in the looks department.

TBR

Quote from: Nethead on January 22, 2009, 03:30:34 PM

Well we didn't play at our normal level yet the Hokies still wouldn't have won without the help of the refs (we didn't shoot a single free throw in the first half despite two of our players having to leave the court after being injured, one of them leaving a trail of blood).

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 11:09:06 AM
I don't think the rear seat for the G35 is really that big. 

Well headroom is a little tighter, but the wheelbase is exactly the same as the G35 sedan, and at 112.2 inches it's wheelbase is even longer than say a 2008 Accord and about the same as a current E class (112.4) .  So leg room and what not are pretty decent. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

GTO. I find the styling just fine and I'd have an aftermarket moonroof installed (not one that slides on the outside of the roof tho) and a nice set of aftermarket wheels/tires.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

Any of you guys ever have an after market sunroof put on? It's not as great as you'd think.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on January 22, 2009, 04:35:26 PM
Any of you guys ever have an after market sunroof put on? It's not as great as you'd think.

Someone put one in the SJ410 I had. POS leaked.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Onslaught on January 22, 2009, 04:35:26 PM
Yes. I had one put in my '86 Cutlass. It was a 2 way "power hole" and worked fine for the couple years ('00-'02) I had that car. It never leaked or fail to open/close.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

Quote from: NACar on January 22, 2009, 04:36:48 PM
Someone put one in the SJ410 I had. POS leaked.
Yes, they normally don't look factory and most of the time they leak. I can count on one hand the number of people I'd trust to cut a hole in the roof of my expensive car and put a moving piece of glass in it. I'd actually have 2 fingers left over after I counted.

the Teuton

Why not find a trashed Catera and steal all of the sunroof parts from it?  I am sure they're almost the exact same thing.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: Nethead on January 22, 2009, 03:30:34 PM

HEMI666:  The fold-down back seat in the Mustang trumps the somewhat larger rear seat area in the GTO, whose backseat can't fold down because the fuel tank is in the trunk :nutty:

In the 2005 GTO, the fuel tank was moved and the exhaust rerouted.  Either way, folding down the seats for more cargo space doesn't translate into more passenger space. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on January 22, 2009, 03:37:37 PM
Taking the crap off the quarter glass would help it in the looks department.

Agreed. there are literally a dozen different quarter window treatments, some emulate the look of the '60s cars, really nice. But that one has dome really weird lines on it. But that's the beauty of customizing to personal taste.

Onslaught

Quote from: ChrisV on January 22, 2009, 07:10:21 PM
Agreed. there are literally a dozen different quarter window treatments, some emulate the look of the '60s cars, really nice. But that one has dome really weird lines on it. But that's the beauty of customizing to personal taste.
Yes but in the end I'm just not a fan of these on the new Mustang. I've put many on the current Stang and they're noting but plastic held of with double sided tape. And they cut the visibility down in the car and give you nothing in return. That is unless you like the look more than having glass you can see out of.

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on January 22, 2009, 07:16:29 PM
Yes but in the end I'm just not a fan of these on the new Mustang. I've put many on the current Stang and they're noting but plastic held of with double sided tape. And they cut the visibility down in the car and give you nothing in return. That is unless you like the look more than having glass you can see out of.

Well, to be honest, there's not much outward visibility out of those quarter windows anyhow, with the thick pillars around them. And of course, with the exceptions of the '65-66 Shelby GT350, the original fastback Mustangs didn't have quarter windows at all, so visibility was about the same. I had no problem living with my '70 Fastbacks. But yeah, most of them tend to be pretty cheezy looking.

GoCougs

If my only vehicle, the Accord by a mile.

If a second/hobby vehicle, Mustang GT.

I love how everyone is choosing the GTO over its competitors on this poll when in reality hardly anyone bought it over the competition.

For my money the G35 wins hands down.  Nothing on this list comes close to being a better overall package, RWD, luxury,sportiness, and beautiful styling.

the Teuton

Quote from: 565 on January 22, 2009, 09:34:22 PM
I love how everyone is choosing the GTO over its competitors on this poll when in reality hardly anyone bought it over the competition.

For my money the G35 wins hands down.  Nothing on this list comes close to being a better overall package, RWD, luxury,sportiness, and beautiful styling.

Uh, this is an enthusiast forum -- not a forum of people who buy cars on whims.  We would if we could.

This is why GM is suffering.  They're listening to too many people like us.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

Quote from: ChrisV on January 22, 2009, 08:10:20 PM
Well, to be honest, there's not much outward visibility out of those quarter windows anyhow, with the thick pillars around them. And of course, with the exceptions of the '65-66 Shelby GT350, the original fastback Mustangs didn't have quarter windows at all, so visibility was about the same. I had no problem living with my '70 Fastbacks. But yeah, most of them tend to be pretty cheezy looking.
You can use the one on the right quarter to see when changing lanes. That's about it however.