2005 4 passenger Coupes

Started by SVT666, January 21, 2009, 11:17:20 PM

Which one would you buy if a gun was put to your head?

2005 Mustang GT, 300 hp, 0-60 mph in 5.0
5 (11.9%)
2005 Pontiac GTO, 400 hp, 0-60 mph in 4.6
27 (64.3%)
2005 Infiniti G35, 280 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.3
7 (16.7%)
2005 Honda Accord V6, 240 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.2
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

r0tor

Quote from: 565 on January 22, 2009, 09:34:22 PM
I love how everyone is choosing the GTO over its competitors on this poll when in reality hardly anyone bought it over the competition.

For my money the G35 wins hands down.  Nothing on this list comes close to being a better overall package, RWD, luxury,sportiness, and beautiful styling.

I v0ted for the G35c as well... the other cars are just "meh" compared to it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on January 22, 2009, 09:58:36 AM
The Altima Coupe didn't come out until 2007 or 2008.

2005 Altimas look like this.

Oops.  I thought the Altima coupe was out in 2005.  I'll take it out of the poll.

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on January 22, 2009, 10:03:40 AM
Altima SE-R is a good option IMO.

If Hemi considers the Accord V6 sedan, then this is also a good choice IMO.
This poll isn't for me, it's just a poll.  My buying decision in a couple to three years will be between a GTO, Mustang GT, and a G8 GT.

sportyaccordy

G35, but really I'd find the $$$ for a 330Ci ZHP coupe. G35s are unnecessarily huge

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 23, 2009, 11:09:39 AM
G35, but really I'd find the $$$ for a 330Ci ZHP coupe. G35s are unnecessarily huge looking.

In reality, they're the same size. I guess the high beltline and (I heard) heavy steering don't help it's size issue.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on January 22, 2009, 09:34:22 PM
I love how everyone is choosing the GTO over its competitors on this poll when in reality hardly anyone bought it over the competition.

For my money the G35 wins hands down.  Nothing on this list comes close to being a better overall package, RWD, luxury,sportiness, and beautiful styling.

The GTO is a much better car than the G35 coupe.  I have had seat time in several GTOs and 350Zs, and time as a passenger in the G35 coupe.  The GTO's interior is better made and roomier, and it's faster and better looking.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on January 23, 2009, 03:42:18 PM
The GTO is a much better car than the G35 coupe.  I have had seat time in several GTOs and 350Zs, and time as a passenger in the G35 coupe.  The GTO's interior is better made and roomier, and it's faster and better looking.

The only thing that wins really for the G35 is the fact that it's a luxury marque vs a Pontiac.  But that said, I don't really like the shifter and clutch for the GTO, then again, I didn't like the one on G35 either although it'll be 100x more difficult finding a manual G35

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on January 23, 2009, 03:48:49 PM
The only thing that wins really for the G35 is the fact that it's a luxury marque vs a Pontiac.  But that said, I don't really like the shifter and clutch for the GTO, then again, I didn't like the one on G35 either although it'll be 100x more difficult finding a manual G35

I really liked the GTO's clutch and shifter.  I hated the 350's. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on January 23, 2009, 03:50:14 PM
I really liked the GTO's clutch and shifter.  I hated the 350's. 

The throw was too long and the catch point was high, and clutch was a bit on the heavy side if I remember correctly.  That was comparing with my Rx8.. but that was at least 2 years ago since I last drove one.  I liked the power though.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on January 23, 2009, 03:52:36 PM
The throw was too long and the catch point was high, and clutch was a bit on the heavy side if I remember correctly.  That was comparing with my Rx8.. but that was at least 2 years ago since I last drove one.  I liked the power though.

Those things are true, but the clutch communicated well (much better than the 350's useless clutch) and the shifter was pleasingly notchy. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on January 23, 2009, 03:52:36 PM

A long throw does not a bad shifter make.  A lot of the 1990s BMWs had really long throws compared to today's models, and I think they were more natural feeling.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on January 23, 2009, 03:56:05 PM
Those things are true, but the clutch communicated well (much better than the 350's useless clutch) and the shifter was pleasingly notchy. 

So Rx8 > GTO > 350Z?  I can live with that.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on January 23, 2009, 04:02:07 PM
So Rx8 > GTO > 350Z?  I can live with that.

As I recall, the RX8's shifter and clutch were really damn good.  I'd say so.

But mind you, I prefer a higher effort clutch action (one of the biggest advantages of my car over a 2.5L Jetta is that the clutch actually has some resistance to it; the 2.5's clutch was super light).  I find them easier to modulate, even if they are harder on my bad knee. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on January 22, 2009, 09:36:04 AM
GTO, black exterior, red leather with the LS1 hood and some nice 19"s  (I have decided that the cars stylistic problems are largely due to too small OEM wheels.

Oh, I hate big wheels.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on January 22, 2009, 09:46:55 PM
Uh, this is an enthusiast forum -- not a forum of people who buy cars on whims.  We would if we could.

This is why GM is suffering.  They're listening to too many people like us.

I find that to be a strange notion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on January 24, 2009, 08:50:23 PM
I find that to be a strange notion.

We're enthusiasts.  We like fun cars.  Normal people don't buy fun cars; they buy appliances.

Enthusiasts rarely buy new cars.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on January 23, 2009, 03:42:18 PM

I'll concede to everything except better looking. You know that Pontiac Cobalt thing? I always mistake those stupid things for GTO's from the back until I spot the single exhaust and tiny wheels.

cozmik

My vote goes to to the G35. The GTO just isn't that great of a car. It's fast, but it has no polish. I don't like the seats and driving position either.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 24, 2009, 09:47:08 PM
I'll concede to everything except better looking. You know that Pontiac Cobalt thing? I always mistake those stupid things for GTO's from the back until I spot the single exhaust and tiny wheels.

I guess, to an extent, that looks are somewhat subjective, so we'll have to agree to disagree there.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: cozmik on January 26, 2009, 12:06:03 PM
My vote goes to to the G35. The GTO just isn't that great of a car. It's fast, but it has no polish. I don't like the seats and driving position either.

The GTO lacks polish, but the G35 does not?  Interesting point of view. 

What's also interesting is your view on the seats.  Most Saabers I know drool over those seats (and the ones in the Cobalt SS/SC).  There are more GTOs on my Saab board then on any board I've ever been on, excluding LS1GTO.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

If maintenance on the E46 wasn't so scary (disintegrating shock mounts!!!!??!?!?!?!?) I would give it the nod over a G. But realistically the G is an easier car to own, and power wise I just don't see how any non ///M 3 could keep up. The G is almost brutal in the straight line.

cozmik

Quote from: Raza  on January 26, 2009, 02:11:25 PM

What's also interesting is your view on the seats.  Most Saabers I know drool over those seats (and the ones in the Cobalt SS/SC).  There are more GTOs on my Saab board then on any board I've ever been on, excluding LS1GTO.

The G35 has more polish to it than does the GTO. That said, since my friend has "upgraded" to the Pedders suspension, the car feels like it's going to fall apart. I might just not remember what a stock GTO feels like. The Pedders suspension though rattles, shakes, and jolts the car to pieces, along with the occupants.

I don't like the GTO's seats. Every time I ride in my friend's I end up getting out in pain. And the "leather" on them is junk. I think it's plastic honestly.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on January 26, 2009, 02:11:25 PM

And the Saab cupholders! Marvellous things.

NomisR

Quote from: cozmik on January 26, 2009, 02:19:12 PM
The G35 has more polish to it than does the GTO. That said, since my friend has "upgraded" to the Pedders suspension, the car feels like it's going to fall apart. I might just not remember what a stock GTO feels like. The Pedders suspension though rattles, shakes, and jolts the car to pieces, along with the occupants.

I don't like the GTO's seats. Every time I ride in my friend's I end up getting out in pain. And the "leather" on them is junk. I think it's plastic honestly.

Well, when you put in poor aftermarket suspension for driving on the streets, that will result.  It's not the fault of the car or the manufacturer but the owner. 

cozmik

Quote from: NomisR on January 27, 2009, 10:38:04 AM
Well, when you put in poor aftermarket suspension for driving on the streets, that will result.  It's not the fault of the car or the manufacturer but the owner. 

I don't remember it being that great before either though. But like I said, I might just not remember. Still, that doesn't explain or remedy my other complaints.

S204STi

The GTO does have a very stiff ride, particularly over speed bumps or anything resembling unsmooth pavement.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on January 27, 2009, 02:30:37 PM
The GTO does have a very stiff ride, particularly over speed bumps or anything resembling unsmooth pavement.

What?  I don't remember that.  If anything I thought it was a bit soft. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2009, 02:32:02 PM
What?  I don't remember that.  If anything I thought it was a bit soft. 

Meh, I do drive a Subaru, so I guess that would scew my perception of "stiff."

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on January 27, 2009, 02:35:14 PM
Ok.

I may be off base, because I also found the Mustang and C5 Corvette to be a bit soft.  And I've also never found a suspension too stiff that I felt uncomfortable (though I have found plenty that were too soft/floaty and made me a bit sick).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i