4 (12.9%)
Honda S2000
6 (19.4%)
Infiniti G35 Coupe
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on January 23, 2009, 05:43:04 PM
He's young and dumb. Better to do things now than get older and locked into things. Sometimes it's nice to fall flat on your face.

Totally agree.  I am infinitely glad I bought a sports car now in my youth instead of pining till I'm 50 and then trying to recapture that spirit.  Even if owning a high performance car isn't everything I dreamed it would be, I at least will never have the regret that I missed the youthful window to enjoy such a car to the fullest.  All the stupid and reckless adventures I had with my Z06 wouldn't nearly be as amusing or memorable if I owned the car at 50 instead of in my 20s.  Moments like getting pulled over and slapped with driving probation with my buddy in the passenger seat because I was trying to race my other buddy to his house by going the long way through the hilly backroads (super stupid decision, my probation just expired), or racing another Corvette on the freeway with a female friend screaming her head off for more in the passenger seat, or stuffing two buddies in the passenger compartment because there were no back seats, or embarassing my girlfriend and her parents by doing a burnout in front of her house (super retarded, but very fun), or getting two hot chicks (which would probably wouldn't have given me the time of day otherwise) to sit in each other's laps in the passenger seat while I took them on a joy ride (good times), and more amusing and memorable moments than I can count now.  Life is too short to be wasted on putting off the excitement and enjoyment.  Sporty should live up to his name and purchase the sportiest and most exciting car he can for his money.  There were alot of headaches to own the Z06, always worrying about it, maintance costs, overall costs, stressful driving, etc, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  You can always make more money, but time, time is always slipping away from you.  You can only hope to capture whatever you can, while you still can.

Tave

Quote from: CJ on January 23, 2009, 06:02:40 PM
S60 2.5T with a manual.

Interesting suggestion. I don't see how it fits with his wants though.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 06:06:58 PM

That's what we are getting at..........get what you want. Do what you like.

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on January 23, 2009, 06:08:29 PM

That's what we are getting at..........get what you want. Do what you like.

I had started typing before I 565's post came through. I was talking to CJ. See my edited post.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CJ

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 06:06:58 PM

It doesn't, to be honest.  It's a safe bet.  The manual is quite good, the engine is great, the interior is nice and well built, it's a Volvo, insurance should be cheap, it's something you can have fun with, but it can be a sophisticated sedan when needed.  They also have awesome steering wheels...

2o6

It might be a bit too big.

CJ

It's really not all that big.  It's probably the same size, dimension wise, as a G35 Coupe.  The G isn't a small car.

Payman

1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R. $13,995

TBR

The newer Volvos also aren't so reliable and are expensive to fix.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on January 23, 2009, 06:03:30 PM
Those can be had for that little?

It's possible.  I've seen plenty in the 15-18 range, and that was when I was shopping way back in 2007.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: CJ on January 23, 2009, 06:15:59 PM

It doesn't, to be honest.  It's a safe bet.  The manual is quite good, the engine is great, the interior is nice and well built, it's a Volvo, insurance should be cheap, it's something you can have fun with, but it can be a sophisticated sedan when needed.  They also have awesome steering wheels...

And it's godawful expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and probably not going to be as reliable as one of the Hondas on his list.

Edit:  Beat by TBR.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

I think I'd go for the Infiniti G35.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on January 23, 2009, 06:05:59 PM
Totally agree.  I am infinitely glad I bought a sports car now in my youth instead of pining till I'm 50 and then trying to recapture that spirit.  Even if owning a high performance car isn't everything I dreamed it would be, I at least will never have the regret that I missed the youthful window to enjoy such a car to the fullest.  All the stupid and reckless adventures I had with my Z06 wouldn't nearly be as amusing or memorable if I owned the car at 50 instead of in my 20s.  Moments like getting pulled over and slapped with driving probation with my buddy in the passenger seat because I was trying to race my other buddy to his house by going the long way through the hilly backroads (super stupid decision, my probation just expired), or racing another Corvette on the freeway with a female friend screaming her head off for more in the passenger seat, or stuffing two buddies in the passenger compartment because there were no back seats, or embarassing my girlfriend and her parents by doing a burnout in front of her house (super retarded, but very fun), or getting two hot chicks (which would probably wouldn't have given me the time of day otherwise) to sit in each other's laps in the passenger seat while I took them on a joy ride (good times), and more amusing and memorable moments than I can count now.  Life is too short to be wasted on putting off the excitement and enjoyment.  Sporty should live up to his name and purchase the sportiest and most exciting car he can for his money.  There were alot of headaches to own the Z06, always worrying about it, maintance costs, overall costs, stressful driving, etc, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  You can always make more money, but time, time is always slipping away from you.  You can only hope to capture whatever you can, while you still can.

This man gets it.

I have all my life to buy a used Camry to send my son to do errands.

I have no responsibilities right now, I want to own a car I enjoy driving.

I think a TSX is a very reasonable compromise... but I really like the G. If I can find the info I need though (looks like the 03-04s are OK) I am going to look for a G...

The Pirate

I do absolutely love the G35 coupe.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

I love the RSX, so my vote goes with that one.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 565 on January 23, 2009, 06:05:59 PM

POST OF THE MONTH! I've given the same speech over and over (about my Z28 and the bike) to older family members that just can't understand why I don't buy a "regular" car. I always get the "who needs a car that can do 150mph when the speed limit is 65" speech!   :banghead:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

sportyaccordy

I hear new Volvos are a b!tch to work on. 7 sided bolts & nuts, etc.

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 24, 2009, 06:54:10 AM
I hear new Volvos are a b!tch to work on. 7 sided bolts & nuts, etc.

So?  Go buy yourself  a set of 7 point sockets.  Cars are cars are cars.

hotrodalex

S2000 or BMW if you don't want to deal with a soft top.

MrH

I think GoCougs is right.  To get a decent example of most of the cars you're looking at, you're looking to spend well over $13,000.  You have what we call "champagne taste on a beer budget".
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Are you saying he should buy Miller High Life?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on January 26, 2009, 06:53:38 PM
Are you saying he should buy Miller High Life?

Exactly!

$13,000 on beer is definitely a better idea.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on January 26, 2009, 06:02:00 PM
I think GoCougs is right.  To get a decent example of most of the cars you're looking at, you're looking to spend well over $13,000.  You have what we call "champagne taste on a beer budget".
I am seeing quite a few 60-70K mile G35 coupes for about 15-16K

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 27, 2009, 05:35:42 PM

Used car are garbage. You can get a brand new Suzuki Forenza leftover 2008 model for $14K, loaded, with a 10 year 1000000000 mile warranty.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

You can get a leftover Spectra5. 

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 27, 2009, 05:35:42 PM

That's 15-20% more than you wanted to originally spend.  I doubt you can haggle $3,000 off.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on January 27, 2009, 09:19:15 PM
That's 15-20% more than you wanted to originally spend.  I doubt you can haggle $3,000 off.
I could get a TSX for 13, or spend $60-70 more a month for ~2 years and get a G35. High mileage Gs are not problematic either. What's your agenda?

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 28, 2009, 07:11:49 AM
I could get a TSX for 13, or spend $60-70 more a month for ~2 years and get a G35. High mileage Gs are not problematic either. What's your agenda?

So then your budget isn't $13,000.

I'm just saying if you're set on spending $13,000, I don't think a G35 is a good idea.  If you can swing $17,000, then it's a different story.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited