4 (12.9%)
Honda S2000
6 (19.4%)
Infiniti G35 Coupe
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 01, 2009, 08:33:38 PM
Because it's Cougs' (read: Dwight from the Office) way or the highway.

My Maxima, with all 130K of its miles, was pretty reliable.

My 1st Accord had 93K miles when I got it, but was also 12 years old... had I not hit a mega pothole and sprung a slow oil leak it would prob. still be running today. I put about 30K miles on it over about 2 years, very few problems.

My problems with cars don't come from age, they come from my modifications. If I leave the car alone, unless it's a total dud it will be fine. The bulk of the problems I've faced have almost always come directly from modifications.

How is your recent engine failure a result of modifications? Was the engine torn apart and rebuilt by a monkey?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: NACar on February 01, 2009, 09:14:31 PM
How is your recent engine failure a result of modifications? Was the engine torn apart and rebuilt by a monkey?

Racist.  :rolleyes: :lol:

GoCougs

DO NOT FIX THE CURRENT CAR. IT IS A GONNER.

Dwight (that actor) is from Washington state, BTW.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2009, 08:20:09 PM
2006 Civic EX sedan, 5sp MT, 40k miles or less. Anything else will be a mistake.

You say that with idiotic levels of certainty.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2009, 09:19:58 PM

Racist.  :rolleyes: :lol:
Monkeys are a group of species, not a race. I think they're an order, or a genus.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on February 01, 2009, 09:14:31 PM
Car was low enough that the oil pan might have taken a hit or two on bad BK streets

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 02, 2009, 06:15:55 AM
Car was low enough that the oil pan might have taken a hit or two on bad BK streets
How does a dented oil pan cause your engine to fail? Was the oil pickup damaged? Was there a giant leak that you never noticed?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on February 02, 2009, 08:30:25 AM
How does a dented oil pan cause your engine to fail? Was the oil pickup damaged? Was there a giant leak that you never noticed?
Oil pan dents, leak at the gasket from deformation, snow + cold = scarcely look under the car.

And Cougs I'm fixing it and selling it to someone who knows about the car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 02, 2009, 08:46:14 AM
Oil pan dents, leak at the gasket from deformation, snow + cold = scarcely look under the car.

And Cougs I'm fixing it and selling it to someone who knows about the car.

If you never check your oil, you can hardly blame it on the car being modified.
Anyway, you're just going to lower the next car you get. That's what you always do.

NomisR

SVT32V

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 01, 2009, 11:22:54 AM
The differences I've noticed between a 250hp FWD car and a 250hp RWD car both weighing 3500-3600 lbs:

- RWD has an awesomely tighter turning radius; I don't remember the last time I had to make a 3-point turn in this car
- the steering wheel on RWD doesn't "fight back" when I'm accelerating around an onramp
- the tires wear more evenly with RWD

If you don't drive like a moron, you shouldn't get into any oversteer trouble at all in any RWD car costing $7,000. Yes, even that Vette.

Wet roads and rwd without experience can lead to bad results. 
The mustang and vette would be more than a handful for a lad weaned on low power fwd cars. 

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 01, 2009, 10:59:26 PM
Monkeys are a group of species, not a race. I think they're an order, or a genus.

That would mean we can make monkey-man babies.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Quote from: MrH on February 01, 2009, 12:25:25 PM
So this thread started because you wanted something that wasn't a pain like your Accord was, and now we're talking about 240's with 200,000 miles...

Your life apparently needs car problems.

If his car needs to bug the shit out of him for him to enjoy it, I wonder if his relationships are similar. ;)
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on February 02, 2009, 10:42:37 PM
If his car needs to bug the shit out of him for him to enjoy it, I wonder if his relationships are similar. ;)

this should keep you busy, Sporty

TBR

Quote from: SVT32V on February 01, 2009, 09:04:58 AM
Sporty, you are heading for trouble again, the qualude and 240sx will be over ten years old, hardly a trouble free at this point.

The 240sx will be hard to find since silly boys seem to think it is a great drift car.  Which it is, except in stock form it has a weak engine in the US version.  Overall, it is really slow and will be old, as well as overpriced.  At least it will be hard to get yourself in oversteer trouble with this car since you are not really used to rwd.

A 300zx of the same year will probably be a better bargain and faster to boot.

Possibly just consider something else for a minute that would run rings around any of the above, just think Change.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/1006902269.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/1015910850.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ctd/1012465411.html

The cost per mile to own a 10 year old $5k car will be a lot less than it would be to own a 5 year old $15k car.

SVT32V

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2009, 07:39:23 AM
The cost per mile to own a 10 year old $5k car will be a lot less than it would be to own a 5 year old $15k car.

None of the cars there are $15K, cost of ownership is relative.  I would gladly spend $15K on a good used car (2-4yrs old) than $5K on a car that will need work, maintenance etc.
As much as I love cars and working on them, I don't have time in a busy schedule to always be able to th emyriad of little problems that arise with an older car.
Living in NYC is so conducive to being able to work on cars, nothing like replacing a motor/clutch other major work on the street.
Plus it is nice to have the peace of mind on business trips etc.

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 03, 2009, 08:53:32 AM
Would rather do a Contour SVT & avoid growing a vag

Dude you drive an accordian, how can the cougar be worse than the requisite mommy-mobile, or a mustang uglier.

TBR

Quote from: SVT32V on February 03, 2009, 09:31:06 AM
None of the cars there are $15K, cost of ownership is relative.  I would gladly spend $15K on a good used car (2-4yrs old) than $5K on a car that will need work, maintenance etc.
As much as I love cars and working on them, I don't have time in a busy schedule to always be able to th emyriad of little problems that arise with an older car.
Living in NYC is so conducive to being able to work on cars, nothing like replacing a motor/clutch other major work on the street.
Plus it is nice to have the peace of mind on business trips etc.

$15k, $13k, whatever.

What you would rather do isn't really relevant to what is best for him. You act like a 10 year old car is going to break down on a regular basis and need to be worked on on a consistent basis. That simply isn't true.

SVT32V

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2009, 10:08:57 AM
$15k, $13k, whatever.

What you would rather do isn't really relevant to what is best for him. You act like a 10 year old car is going to break down on a regular basis and need to be worked on on a consistent basis. That simply isn't true.

Actually, between this and his other threads he has gone back and forth between wanting something reliable and his old habits of old less than reliable modified cars. Almost to the point of Dr jekyl and mr hyde.

A ten yr old car can be reliable depending on make and upkeep, abuse etc., or it can be a nightmare.  Most cars need nothing before 125K at this point so by default a newer car should be more reliable (on avg).

A ten yr old car today is much better than a 10 yr old car in 1995, but still, age matters especially in the northeast where a car sees snow, salt etc.  Hoses, seals etc. have a finite lifetime.

At nearly 30 yrs of age, sporty probably needs to be more mature with his cars needs if he has to rely on it for his professional/personal life.

If it is a 95% just a toy/luxury, well then turbo a crx and have fun.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 03, 2009, 08:53:32 AM
Would rather do a Contour SVT & avoid growing a vag

A V6 cougar would outhandle and out accelerate your car. Cougars are regarded one of the best handling FWD cars of all time.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on February 03, 2009, 11:47:06 AM

A V6 cougar would outhandle and out accelerate your car. Cougars are regarded one of the best handling FWD cars of all time.
I almost bought one when I bought my last Mustang.  Great handling car.

TBR

Quote from: SVT32V on February 03, 2009, 10:51:51 AM
Actually, between this and his other threads he has gone back and forth between wanting something reliable and his old habits of old less than reliable modified cars. Almost to the point of Dr jekyl and mr hyde.

A ten yr old car can be reliable depending on make and upkeep, abuse etc., or it can be a nightmare.  Most cars need nothing before 125K at this point so by default a newer car should be more reliable (on avg).

A ten yr old car today is much better than a 10 yr old car in 1995, but still, age matters especially in the northeast where a car sees snow, salt etc.  Hoses, seals etc. have a finite lifetime.

At nearly 30 yrs of age, sporty probably needs to be more mature with his cars needs if he has to rely on it for his professional/personal life.

If it is a 95% just a toy/luxury, well then turbo a crx and have fun.

I don't think he does have to rely on it for anything.

I didn't think about the geographical aspect though.

ChrisV

My 10 year old, 165k mile daily driver came from the northeast, and has cost me an average of $400 a year since I bought it.

I'd rather buy the used car and save the ton of money in depreciation and purchase cost, even if there are needed repairs occasionally.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2009, 12:32:32 PM
My 10 year old, 165k mile daily driver came from the northeast, and has cost me an average of $400 a year since I bought it.

I'd rather buy the used car and save the ton of money in depreciation and purchase cost, even if there are needed repairs occasionally.
Me too.

L. ed foote

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 31, 2009, 12:38:17 PM
depending on how much that is, he'll probably continue the perpetual cycle you both are on with buying beaters every 6 months

The right beater will last longer than 6 months

:praise:
Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

Quote from: SVT32V on February 03, 2009, 09:31:06 AM

FWIW, some stuff I do on the street, other stuff I schedule shop time or driveway time to do.
Member, Self Preservation Society

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Ah, yes. RLS's Jekyll and Hyde - very apt metaphor.

At this point, given all the drama he's given himself, Sporty needs to heed that advice.

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT32V on February 03, 2009, 10:51:51 AM

Wait, Sporty's pushing 30?  I thought he was like 24-25?