Edmunds: Chevrolet Impala

Started by ifcar, August 04, 2005, 07:45:17 PM

Catman

Saw one today in Rhode Island.  It was OK, but I think the 500 looks nicer.

giant_mtb

QuoteI like it, it definitely looks better than this monstrosity:
It isn't all that bad...

Raghavan

It isn't all that bad...
'cept the steering wheel. :blink:  

giant_mtb

It isn't all that bad...
lol Yeah the steering wheel does look pretty weird, but it's surprisingly comfortable.

Raghavan

It isn't all that bad...
lol Yeah the steering wheel does look pretty weird, but it's surprisingly comfortable.
besides the wheel, it's ok...

Catman

Looks hideous in all aspects to me. :ph34r:  

giant_mtb

It isn't all that bad...
Have you ever driven one?  It's a nice interior to spend time in. Sure, it isn't the most top of the market interior, but it's nothing short of comfortable.

Raghavan

It isn't all that bad...
Have you ever driven one?  It's a nice interior to spend time in. Sure, it isn't the most top of the market interior, but it's nothing short of comfortable.
the seats are pretty squishy though. not too much support.

giant_mtb

It isn't all that bad...
Leather or cloth?  The cloth ones aren't squishy at all...  :blink:  

ifcar

It isn't all that bad...
The seats in all models are too soft, too low, and hopelessly misshapen, the interior's standards of inferiority do not allow any plastics above the "mediocre quality" level, and most are below. The new one is an extremely significant improvement in every way, especially if they fixed the seat comfort (an area in which the Cobalt failed to improve over the Cavalier).

giant_mtb

Hmph.  I was always satisfied with it.  Then again the most luxurious I ride in on a regular basis is a Grand Marquis...so I don't have very high standards like some of you.  

Raghavan

It isn't all that bad...
The seats in all models are too soft, too low, and hopelessly misshapen, the interior's standards of inferiority do not allow any plastics above the "mediocre quality" level, and most are below. The new one is an extremely significant improvement in every way, especially if they fixed the seat comfort (an area in which the Cobalt failed to improve over the Cavalier).
We had a Cavalier rental car, and the seats sort of sagged under you, and it feels like you're sitting in a well, especially since the dash rises up in front of you. strange feeling.

ifcar

QuoteHmph.  I was always satisfied with it.  Then again the most luxurious I ride in on a regular basis is a Grand Marquis...so I don't have very high standards like some of you.
I'm not saying it's bad by luxury car standards, I'm saying it's bad by family car standards.  

280Z Turbo

QuoteHmph.  I was always satisfied with it.  Then again the most luxurious I ride in on a regular basis is a Grand Marquis...so I don't have very high standards like some of you.
I'm not saying it's bad by luxury car standards, I'm saying it's bad by family car standards.
I remember we looked at one when the van started to die in 2001. I was impressed at the time (ooo wow! new car!) but the interior as a whole had cheap old man's car written all over it. Naturally, my dad almost bought it. ;)

The Intrigue was much better than the Impala in terms of looks and materials, but about equal in terms of panel fitment and fit and finish.

GMPenguin

QuoteThe current model looks much, much better.  But the interior on the new one is much improved.
I'll agree with that, the only thing I don't like exterior wise on the current is the black headlights.

giant_mtb

QuoteHmph.  I was always satisfied with it.  Then again the most luxurious I ride in on a regular basis is a Grand Marquis...so I don't have very high standards like some of you.
I think it's perfectly fine...back seat leg room is plentiful and the boot is big as well.  And I'm not one to care about stiff ride or uncomfortable-ness...it just doesn't bother me, so that might make a difference, too.

Raza

I think it's perfectly fine...back seat leg room is plentiful and the boot is big as well.  And I'm not one to care about stiff ride or uncomfortable-ness...it just doesn't bother me, so that might make a difference, too.
The boot is fucking enormous.  It's like 18 cubes!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

That's only 2.6 less cubes than a Grand Marquis!  :o  

280Z Turbo

Well, the Marquis still has a frame whereas the Impala is unibody.

ifcar

The Ford Five Hundred has 21.  

ifcar

Even if you don't care, why isn't a roomy car with no other strong points inferior to a roomy car with other strong points that costs the same?

giant_mtb

Even if you don't care, why isn't a roomy car with no other strong points inferior to a roomy car with other strong points that costs the same?
Depends on what the "other" car is what its strong points are.  ;)  

ifcar

Pretty much any competitor.  ;)  

giant_mtb

'Scuse my idiocy, but what exactly competes with the Impala?

ifcar

It's most direct competitors would be the Taurus, Five Hundred, Camry, etc.  

giant_mtb

It's most direct competitors would be the Taurus, Five Hundred, Camry, etc.
Hmm...well I have close to Zero experience in most of its competitors, so basically I can't say anything more.