Bad move Obama... very bad.

Started by Payman, January 26, 2009, 01:01:56 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: Byteme on January 26, 2009, 11:05:48 AM
Which explains why I heard so many bitching and moaning when it started costing them $100 plus to fill it up.  They thought they knew what it would cost when they bought it and gas was a buck and a half.  

"Free to sell it and buy something else."  Exactly my point when I wrote "it might not really be all that bad for someone who drives an expedition or surbuban 30 miles one way to work alone to rethink their decision."  No controlling there, no siree, just a statement that people might want to rethink a prior decision".

"As an alternative..." is that you would like to tax tax full-size SUV owners such as to compel the rethinking...

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2009, 12:21:54 PM
"As an alternative..." is that you would like to tax tax full-size SUV owners such as to compel the rethinking...

As usual you jump to conclusions without a leg to stand on.   And you failed to note the "As an alternative" statement was clearly identified by the smilie and a subsequent post as a joke.

GoCougs

Quote from: Byteme on January 26, 2009, 12:32:35 PM
As usual you jump to conclusions without a leg to stand on.   And you failed to note the "As an alternative" statement was clearly identified by the smilie and a subsequent post as a joke.

How DARE you. "As usual?!!!" I always jump to conclusions without a leg to stand on. And somehow, I always get it right. Pretty good, huh?

The vast majority of readers will attach said smile to "Draconian tax scheme" jibe.  You want to tax gas guzzler drivers more - embrace it, it's not an uncommon POV.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2009, 10:27:17 AM
Does anyone know if the California emissions standards that blocked diesels a few years ago applied to used cars? If not, a possible solution would be for automakers to find a way to brand their new cars as "0-mile certified used."

We can buy used diesel cars, but since we haven't been able to buy them new until they started meeting the stricter standard last year, they're quite a bit expensive. We can bring them in from other states, too, but I remember reading something on the DMV website that said it had to have 7500 miles or more (in order to prevent people bringing them in brand new from other states). The silver lining in all this mess is that diesels are exempt from CA smog tests (a big reason they're so expensive here)

Vinsanity

And needless to say, I hate how the pretentious leaders of this state are not only trying to restrict our rights as consumers, but are imposing their morals on the rest of the country. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up that CTS-V or 6.3 liter AMG Benz when my car's paid off.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on January 26, 2009, 09:29:50 AM
A slightly more appealing alternative would be tax deductions based on a car's gas mileage, rather than just based on whether it's a hybrid. I think it's generally easier for everyone to swallow the idea of a gift than a punishment.

Yeah except I don't see tax deductions as a gift.  The gov is taking my money otherwise.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 26, 2009, 12:12:51 PM
If North America had a public transportation system or train system like Europe, then high gas taxes wouldn't be a huge deal, but we don't.  For a large percentage of the population, driving is the only option.

That's why we tax the hell out of gas so we can build those public transportations that nobody will use because it triples their travel time.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on January 26, 2009, 01:22:13 PM
That's why we tax the hell out of gas so we can build those public transportations that nobody will use because it triples their travel time.
You don't tax the hell out of gas.  We do, but you certainly don't.

Vinsanity

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 26, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
You don't tax the hell out of gas.  We do, but you certainly don't.

I mean we should.. but I was only trying to be facetious which didn't work. 

Secret Chimp

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 26, 2009, 09:00:27 AM
They will when the whole thing is finally exposed for what it really is.

What is it with you guys and coming up with conspiracy theories about things you disagree with? It's hilarious.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Payman

What I find messed up is that they want to implement the standards "in time for the 2011 model year".

They have NO IDEA how long it takes to develop a car. The 2011's are already signed off and ready for production.

What a maroon.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on January 26, 2009, 04:56:49 PM
What I find messed up is that they want to implement the standards "in time for the 2011 model year".

They have NO IDEA how long it takes to develop a car. The 2011's are already signed off and ready for production.

What a maroon.

Yeah.  What a maroon.

Payman

I don't dislike Obama, but anyone with any clue about the auto industry knows this is a very bad thing.

MX793

Um, this isn't new.  California and a handful of other states have had stricter emissions than the rest of the country for years.  It's why those of us in NY have been unable to purchase or even register a new diesel-powered passenger car for the past 8 or so years (excluding the latest clean diesels that have recently emerged on the market).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

It's also why so many aftermarket parts are only legal in 49 States.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 26, 2009, 05:51:53 PM
It's also why so many aftermarket parts are only legal in 49 States.

It's all about the $$$ Kalifornia collects

JWC

Quote from: Payman on January 26, 2009, 04:56:49 PM

What a maroon.

They're probably remembering the Congressional hearings back in the 1970's where the auto execs from the Big Three swore that the emissions standards, along with fuel economy that Congress wanted were impossible.  The Honda exec stood up and stated, that it was not impossible and that Honda was prepared to introduce an engine to meet the standards...the CVCC.

L. ed foote

*shrug*

Given time, we'll figure a way around it :praise:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Morris Minor

I don' t understand why they passed the stricter CAFE standards last year and now they're ceding control to California for about 1/2 the cars sold in the country.

There are no actual emissions changes from what I can gather - they are merely restricting the types of vehicles that can be sold (i.e. drastically cut down big vehicles) - like a mini-CAFE. So this will create rationing and buyers will have to wait in line for the vehicles they actually want to buy.

However there are no controls on buying cars from out of state. So this is good news for car dealers in neighboring states.

In Georgia the state government has decided that residents are too stupid to buy all but the most pathetic insipid fireworks that have less entertainment value than a Bic lighter. The unintended consequence is that the state is ringed with massive fireworks stores located just outside its borders and Georgians are happily blowing themselves in greater numbers and with more spectacular ordnance than ever before.

What Obama and his ilk do not understand that the market will always get you in the end. You can push it and try to manipulate it and indulge in a bit of central planning, but ultimately it will push back.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

JWC

When I lived in California, and it had the strictest emissions requirements in the country, you could buy out of state, but to register the car and license it for use in California, you had to pay to make it conform.  If your car failed emissions, you had to either, take it off the road, scrap it, or sell it out to someone in a state where the emissions would not matter. 

Morris Minor

Again, in my judgment this is an insane move. I cannot see its worth.

If they are serious about emissions and dependence on foreign oil, all they need to do is raise the gas tax. To keep the overall tax burden the same they could reduce payroll taxes to stay revenue neutral.

I thought Obama was supposed to be smart.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși