Will Hogs be History?

Started by Byteme, January 26, 2009, 01:55:13 PM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2009, 07:59:11 AM
Thankfully - A piping CBR sounds 567 times better than any H-D ever built.

To me the only thing that sounds worse than a H-D is a coffee-can'd non-performance gunned-out ricer 4 cyl.
I'd rather have a Harley or a custom bike then a sport bike.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2009, 07:53:50 AM
A Honda will never sound like a Harley though.
If it's a modified Harley then no thank you. The police really should bust people who have those things so noisy that it hurts when they drive by.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 12:08:24 PM
If it's a modified Harley then no thank you. The police really should bust people who have those things so noisy that it hurts when they drive by.
I agree.  I was pulled over once in my Mustang and the cop came up to the window and said, "I pulled you over because your exhaust is too..." BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!! as a Harley with straight pipes sped by.  The cop then continued, "Never mind.  Have a nice day."

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2009, 12:10:57 PM
I agree.  I was pulled over once in my Mustang and the cop came up to the window and said, "I pulled you over because your exhaust is too..." BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!! as a Harley with straight pipes sped by.  The cop then continued, "Never mind.  Have a nice day."
I agree. They pulled all these Civics with fart cans over in my town but let the Harley's drive all over the place without doing anything. If you're going to make rules about stuff then be consistent about them. Don't just go after the people you don't like. Some Harley drivers take it way too far with the sound.

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 12:18:27 PM
If you're going to make rules about stuff then be consistent about them.

Well, they go after cars with no front plates here, but let bikes have no front plate. OTOH, they let people drive in convertibles with no helmets, but require motorcyclists to wear them. So many rules are inconsistent between cars and bikes.

Motorcyclists have been successful at convincing lawmakers that "loutpipes save lives" by making cage drivers aware of a motorcycle in thier vicinity. Considering I've been nearly hit when riding a bright red sportbike with neon red helmet and the headlight on and the driver of the truck looking straight at me, maybe they have a point...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on January 27, 2009, 08:12:11 AM
Sorry, but drop some slip-ins in the exhaust of this bike, and I'd ride it all over the place.

Just like a new GT-R will outrrun and outhandle a hot rod '32 Ford, but I'd rather have the '32, I'd rather have this than a new sport bike.

I'd rather have that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 12:18:27 PM
I agree. They pulled all these Civics with fart cans over in my town but let the Harley's drive all over the place without doing anything. If you're going to make rules about stuff then be consistent about them. Don't just go after the people you don't like. Some Harley drivers take it way too far with the sound.

:hesaid: +2

they're so obnoxiously annoying, and alot of riders make it a point to lay on the throttle right next to an open car window. yeah, you're so cool, old man  :rolleyes:

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 12:08:24 PM

I think a harley sounds great with the factory pipes.  With anything else they just bug me.

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on January 27, 2009, 12:47:25 PM
I think a harley sounds great with the factory pipes.  With anything else they just bug me.

Agreed. Most aftermarket pipes don't sound right.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 27, 2009, 01:01:10 PM
Agreed. Most aftermarket pipes don't sound right.
My uncle's Harley has an aftermarket pipe on it and it sounds great.  It just sounds like stock but just 20% louder.

hotrodalex

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2009, 01:04:16 PM
My uncle's Harley has an aftermarket pipe on it and it sounds great.  It just sounds like stock but just 20% louder.

Most of the ones I hear are really rough and loud. I mean Harley's should be kinda rough sounding, but when it sounds like your missing a cylinder, it's not right.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2009, 01:04:16 PM

I'm ok with 20% louder and similar tone to stock, but uncorked they sound like ass.

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on January 27, 2009, 01:41:04 PM
I'm ok with 20% louder and similar tone to stock, but uncorked they sound like ass.
I would think it would get old having to hear that for hours and hours going down the road.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 01:43:17 PM
I would think it would get old having to hear that for hours and hours going down the road.

A car with an overly loud exhaust can certainly get old after a few hours behind the wheel.

Morris Minor

A favorite pastime of Atlanta's doctors & dentists is to get on their Harleys & ride up to the North Georgia mountains on sunny weekends. If you don't like silence, or the sounds of birdsong, streams & waterfalls, the noise from the motorbikes is useful for drowning it all out.

Personally I find the sound to be crude & unrefined. The loud disharmonies of an engine design that is fundamentally unbalanced may be acceptable in cheap leaf blowers or lawn mowers, but not in an expensive conveyance like a motorcycle.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Cobra93

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 01:43:17 PM
A lot of the Harley guys wear earplugs. Then again, a lot of them are just old and deaf. :lol:

Onslaught

Quote from: Byteme on January 27, 2009, 01:46:51 PM
A car with an overly loud exhaust can certainly get old after a few hours behind the wheel.
That's why I took my performance one off my car. It sounded great to me with the hard top on. But when I took it off it was a pain.

Anyone want a GREAT Jackson racing exhaust for a MX-5?  :lol:

Cobra93

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 27, 2009, 01:46:59 PM
A favorite pastime of Atlanta's doctors & dentists is to get on their Harleys & ride up to the North Georgia mountains on sunny weekends. If you don't like silence, or the sounds of birdsong, streams & waterfalls, the noise from the motorbikes is useful for drowning it all out.

Personally I find the sound to be crude & unrefined. The loud disharmonies of an engine design that is fundamentally unbalanced may be acceptable in cheap leaf blowers or lawn mowers, but not in an expensive conveyance like a motorcycle.
I have Cobra exhaust and Torqueloopz on the Goldwing. To me it sounds 100% nicer than a Harley. It's not overly loud at cruise or idle but has a nice growl under acceleration.

S204STi

Quote from: Byteme on January 27, 2009, 01:46:51 PM
Been there, done that.  Never wasting the money on it again.

S204STi

A lot of guys say "loud pipes save lives" which might be somewhat valid.  But I still find them annoying.

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on January 27, 2009, 02:03:17 PM
A lot of guys say "loud pipes save lives" which might be somewhat valid.  But I still find them annoying.
Thing is I normally don't hear them until they are right at my side. And then it can surprise the shit out of me.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 26, 2009, 02:07:16 PM
WTF?  Do you know what a HOG is?  Harley Owners Group.  The bikes aren't HOGS, the owners are.  Byteme misnamed this thread.

You're right. The bikes are Hawgs. Close enough.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on January 27, 2009, 02:05:19 PM
Thing is I normally don't hear them until they are right at my side. And then it can surprise the shit out of me.

Yeah, something about the sound from a big twin doesn't carry well ahead of the bike, meaning that you're not really warning people ahead of you that you're coming, only the people you've already passed.  Higher pitched machines tend to throw their sound out ahead of them a little better.

Last summer I was driving home from work and I saw a bike approaching in the other lane.  I had my windows down and didn't hear him until he was within a few car lengths.  As he went by and had to shield my ear from the sound (must have had no mufflers at all).  I could hear him loud and clear for nearly a mile after he went by.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on January 27, 2009, 04:59:22 PM
Yeah, something about the sound from a big twin doesn't carry well ahead of the bike, meaning that you're not really warning people ahead of you that you're coming, only the people you've already passed.  Higher pitched machines tend to throw their sound out ahead of them a little better.

Last summer I was driving home from work and I saw a bike approaching in the other lane.  I had my windows down and didn't hear him until he was within a few car lengths.  As he went by and had to shield my ear from the sound (must have had no mufflers at all).  I could hear him loud and clear for nearly a mile after he went by.

Maybe they should put the pipes on backwards?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

It's a combination of the Doppler Effect and High vs Low frequencies.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on January 28, 2009, 03:25:18 PM
It's a combination of the Doppler Effect and High vs Low frequencies.

Thank you, Dr. Science.

Tave

That's Dr. Science God to you.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille