V12 Vantage

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, February 03, 2009, 07:01:17 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Just saw this.

My first thought was how fantastic the v8 sounds and how they couldn't possilby make it better.

http://jalopnik.com/5145876/aston-martin-v12-vantage-four-more-cylinders

Click link, play video then go clean yourself up.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Sweet baby Jesus.

It sounds so angry.

That sound is beyond visceral/
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rich

I was hoping to hear it out in the open under load
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Why have this if you have the DBS?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

I'm giggling like a little school girl.  Oops.  I think I just pissed myself.

SVT666

Replace that 6.0L 510 hp V12 with a turbo 4 banger, and Sporty would be all over it.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 03, 2009, 09:52:09 PM
Why have this if you have the DBS?

'cause it's smaller and lighter? I'd rather have this than the DBS, personally.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on February 04, 2009, 05:14:46 AM

I think the overall shape is better, too.

Though, the hood vents are a bit excessive.  Are they necessary or for show?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Quote from: Submariner on February 04, 2009, 08:41:02 AM
I think the overall shape is better, too.

Though, the hood vents are a bit excessive.  Are they necessary or for show?
The hood vents are fucking awesome. 

BTW, they are functional.

SVT666

2010 Aston Martin V12 Vantage revealed

Aston Martin?s Vantage began life with a 380 horsepower V8 that many enthusiasts felt was underpowered given the potential of the chassis and underlying technology. More recently, the V8 Vantage was updated with a 420 horsepower motor. But Aston has decided to take it one step further with the V12 Vantage ? a new version of the car with 510 horsepower under its hood.

The V12 Vantage was previewed with a concept in 2007. The car was first shown when the automaker christened its new design studio and later displayed at 2008 Geneva Motor Show Show.

Scheduled for a public unveiling at this year?s Geneva show, the V12 Vantage has a 6.0-liter motor that, in addition to delivering the aforementioned horsepower figure, also serves up 420 pound-feet of torque and a zero to 60 mph time of 4.2 seconds.

The engine features a number of enhancements over the standard 6.0-litre V12 found in the DB9. These include a ?by-pass? engine air intake port that opens up at 5500 rpm, a revised induction system and re-profiled air inlet ports that further improve airflow into the combustion chamber to improve performance.

While the external dimensions of the V8 Vantage remain unchanged, the internal front structure has been extensively revised forward of the suspension towers to house the larger engine, brake cooling system, and twin air intake system.

Unique to the V12 Vantage is a the ability to toggle button between two powertrain modes. The default ?normal? provides a more progressive, throttle response, suited to more everyday situations. Selecting ?Sport? mode delivers a sharper throttle response together with a sportier exhaust note.

In default operation, the Dynamic Stability Control is automatically switched on. Depressing the DSC button for two seconds selects ?track mode? which raises the manner and threshold at which the system intervenes allowing the driver to explore the limits of the car?s considerable handling capabilities. Depressing the button for four seconds will switch off DSC completely.

Although the V12 engine weighs 220 pounds more than the standard car?s engine, the vehicle?s overall weight is only increased by 110 pounds. This is possible due to widespread use of lightweight materials, including carbon ceramic brakes, forged aluminium wheels, lightweight rear quarter panels, and optional lightweight seats. Weight distribution is a near-perfect 51:49.

The V12 Vantage?s Carbon Ceramic Matrix discs are 398 mm in diameter at the front and 360 mm at the rear while the brake callipers feature six pistons at the front, four at the rear and have a larger brake pad area compared to the V8 Vantage. Air ducts positioned within the lower front grille feed air directly onto the discs to aid cooling.

Exclusively available with a six-speed manual transmission, the gearbox uses a transaxle configuration to aid weight distribution. The V12 Vantage?s final drive ratio has also been modified from 3.909:1 to 3.71:1. This allows the Vantage to take full benefit of the high torque levels delivered by the engine to provide both flexibility at lower engine speeds as well as a high top speed of 190 mph.

Deliveries of the V12 Vantage are expected to commence during quarter three 2009 with prices to be confirmed at a later date. Production will be limited to between just 300-500 examples per year.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on February 04, 2009, 05:14:46 AM

Missing, but perhaps proving my point.  I meant why would Aston make this car such an obvious DBS competitor, highlighting how overpriced the DBS is?  Not from the consumer standpoint.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

It won't be sold in the USA, btw.

giant_mtb

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 04, 2009, 02:42:47 PM
Missing, but perhaps proving my point.  I meant why would Aston make this car such an obvious DBS competitor, highlighting how overpriced the DBS is?  Not from the consumer standpoint.

Because some people like the look and size of the DBS better. Nothing wrong with having fun, fast, attractive vehicles to appeal to slightly different buyers.

Kind of like Camaros and Firebirds. Identical cars with slightly different looks, appealed to slightly different buyers. Even without this version, I liked the Vantage more than the DBS, and the DB9 more than either. Just enough difference in the way they look to make for a definite hierarchy in my mind. Now, this one slots in on top.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on February 04, 2009, 03:39:40 PM
Because some people like the look and size of the DBS better. Nothing wrong with having fun, fast, attractive vehicles to appeal to slightly different buyers.

Kind of like Camaros and Firebirds. Identical cars with slightly different looks, appealed to slightly different buyers. Even without this version, I liked the Vantage more than the DBS, and the DB9 more than either. Just enough difference in the way they look to make for a definite hierarchy in my mind. Now, this one slots in on top.
I love the DB9/DBS, but the V8 Vantage is the better looking and tidier package of the two.  Now this version is orgasmic.  I rank them in this order:

1. V12 Vantage
2. V8 Vantage
3. DBS
4. DB9

sandertheshark

I'm not buying the hood vents.  No matter that they're functional, I don't think they are appropriate for the brand.

Although, if you look at those vents from the right angle, you see this: :rockon: and that makes me smile.

SVT666

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 04, 2009, 04:58:05 PM
I'm not buying the hood vents.  No matter that they're functional, I don't think they are appropriate for the brand.

Although, if you look at those vents from the right angle, you see this: :rockon: and that makes me smile.
You're right, I do see that.  That also makes me smile.

ChrisV

I've got no problem with a shitpile of hood scoops on a sports car.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on February 04, 2009, 03:39:40 PM

Yes, well, GM is a bloated monster, and Aston...isn't.  True, not many who are buying these cars care much for value, but if I've got a few hundred thousand to spend, I wouldn't have wasted it on a DBS before the V12 Vantage was available.  I'd certainly not do it now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on February 05, 2009, 05:59:40 AM
I've got no problem with a shitpile of hood scoops on a sports car.  :lol:

I don't mind vents, but these are just oddly arranged. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on February 05, 2009, 11:35:40 AM

Function over form

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 05, 2009, 11:35:40 AM

They are based on where the heat is generated under hood. Two smaller ones in teh center behind the radiator, and two larger ones down the sides above the exhaust manifolding. And they are that far back due to how much cowling is between the grille and the front of the engine:

Tave

What's odd about symmetry?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hotrodalex

I have a new favorite engine...

Raza

Quote from: Tave on February 05, 2009, 11:42:13 AM
What's odd about symmetry?

They're arranged like a "W", cell phone bars, or a  :rockon: .

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Can I make that engine with two Duratec 3.0s and a TIG welder?  Damn.