C&D product placement article.

Started by 565, February 04, 2009, 08:19:59 PM

MX793

I would have thought that I, Robot would have made the list if Minority Report did.  Serious plug for Audi (and other non-automotive products) in that one.  I seem to recall The Island featuring quite a few GM vehicles as well, including the Caddy Cien.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Product placement will always happen.  I don't think the Audi one in Iron Man was all that bad.  It's not like Tony Stark was driving around in an A3 TDI (an R8 makes sense for a man like that, if it's a little understated, it was the newest thing out there that he would likely go for, blasting through waiting lists) and the US military had Q7s. 

Shit, in I, Robot, all the cops drove Audis.  Audi A4s had replaced Crown Victorias as cop cars. 

The Island was another big GM commercial, that's true. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Holy shit, it must be working. After watching that Smokey & the Bandit vid, I want a black and gold 1977-78 Trans Am with t-tops now :wub:

Quote from: Raza  on February 04, 2009, 08:42:06 PM
Product placement will always happen.  I don't think the Audi one in Iron Man was all that bad.  It's not like Tony Stark was driving around in an A3 TDI (an R8 makes sense for a man like that, if it's a little understated, it was the newest thing out there that he would likely go for, blasting through waiting lists) and the US military had Q7s. 

Shit, in I, Robot, all the cops drove Audis.  Audi A4s had replaced Crown Victorias as cop cars. 

The Island was another big GM commercial, that's true. 

You have to watch that video to see why the Audi one was particularly ridiculous.  It's not in the movie but a DVD special feature.  They basically said that Audis are so amazing that we couldn't use them in the movie. I think what happened is that the producers thankfully refused to let Audi include that painfully obvious product placement sequence of the R8 amazingly saving the day.  As a compromise they threw in this sequence of "why" the R8 wasn't used cause it was too safe (BS), and how the Q7 was so safe they almost couldn't use it for a movie (more BS), probably to satisfy the big bucks Audi paid to have them in the movie.  You know Audi had a heavy hand in it when they cut to the commerical sequences of the car driving around, and the producers praise Audi engineering with less than convincing tones.

Byteme

Goldfinger, Thunderball featured Ford Vehicles exclusively with the excption of Bond's Aston Martin

SVT666

I don't think Bullitt should be on there.  I also think Matrix 2 should be.

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 05, 2009, 09:04:50 AM
I don't think Bullitt should be on there.  I also think Matrix 2 should be.

The Italian job.  Mini

Jurassic Park II  Mercedes Benz   The VHS tape had a Mercedes commercial as an intro

Route 66.  Corvette.  GM made sure they ahd a new one whenever they wanted one.

Bewitched.  Samantha and Darrin lived in GM Land

Raza

Quote from: Byteme on February 05, 2009, 11:17:33 AM
The Italian job.  Mini

Jurassic Park II  Mercedes Benz   The VHS tape had a Mercedes commercial as an intro

Which Italian Job?  As I recall, the Minis weren't originally going to be the escape vehicle in the first one.  I think there was an E Type and an Aston of some sort.

And I remember the Jurassic Park: Lost World run up!  My local mall had a HUGE display of ML class SUVs done up in the Jurassic Park camo and fake dinosaurs and plants and everything.  It was awesome.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17461.msg988718#msg988718 date=1233858115
Which Italian Job?  As I recall, the Minis weren't originally going to be the escape vehicle in the first one.  I think there was an E Type and an Aston of some sort.

And I remember the Jurassic Park: Lost World run up!  My local mall had a HUGE display of ML class SUVs done up in the Jurassic Park camo and fake dinosaurs and plants and everything.  It was awesome.

In both the original and the remake the Mini's were the stars.  The original did have an E-type and I believe a Maseratti destroyed by the Italian Mafia. I think Paul Skilleter owns and has restored the one crunched in the movie.