Chrysler Goes Down in Flames?

Started by Nethead, February 06, 2009, 01:25:10 PM

omicron

I'll take a 300C SRT8 Touring, please.

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2009, 08:20:04 PM
Nash/Kelvinator who owned Kaiser designed the original CJ5 and introduced it the same month in 1954 as that company became part of the original form of AMC. Renault entered into the Renault/AMC partnership a year after the CJ7 was introduced.

Kaiser-Frazer was never owned by Nash.

In 1953, a year after the CJ was significantly redesigned (CJ-3B) to accommodate the taller 'Hurricane' engine, Willys-Overland 'merged' with Kaiser-Frazer (it was really a takeover).

In 1970, four years after introducing the Jeepster Commando to replace the CJ-3B and CJ-5, they were bought out by AMC.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 06, 2009, 02:06:09 PM
If I wanted a minivan, I'd probably get a Mazda 5.
If I wanted a big truck, I'd probably get the Ford.
If I wanted an expensive sports car, I'd probably get a 911.

I guess the answer is no.

The Mazda 5 would be perfect for my 2nd (or 3rd) vehicle but is really small compared to a Caravan.

But I'm with you- the only thing I'd buy from Chrysler is a Caravan or Wrangler..
Will

Tave

I'd buy a Viper if I had the monies.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Nethead

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2009, 04:16:03 PM
"The desperation in this article shows the bow awash and the propellers lifting out of the water at the stern.  The orchestra is already queueing up for "Nearer My God to Thee" as the last lifeboats cast off:"

Congrats Nethead on the most arcane Titanic reference I've seen in a long time...

Why, thank you, Soup DeDude!  The mental image that came into my mind while reading that article would have been under-served by posting merely: "Chrysler is the Titanic of the US domestic automobile industry." and left it at that.  Both essentially tell the same story, but the anguish of the Chrysler employees and the fans of Chrysler products can't be felt in just a bleah declaration that Chrysler is another Titanic.

The Nethead here has never considered himself a Chrysler fan, although I've appreciated the vehicles they have done so right--the '68-'69 Charger, the first generation Viper, the PT Cruiser, the Caravan/Grand Caravan ('Liked those enough to buy one, and nearly bought a second one), and the '94 Ram pickup--and some I appreciate but don't personally like that much (the 300, the Superbird/Daytona, the '67 Barracuda fastback (the notchback sucked), the '67 GoTeX, and the Dakota that looks like the '94 Ram pickups.  I like Jeep CJs and the original Jeep Cherokees (esp. the two-door versions), but not those created under Chrysler ownership.
So many stairs...so little time...