Zoiks! I'm the cause of global warming!

Started by Rupert, February 07, 2009, 05:09:31 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on February 08, 2009, 03:50:36 PM
I'll add some ethanol and say it's an ethanol fueled vehicle. :lol:

There ya go. Personally, I'd just get a couple of those diamond shaped CNG stickers and call it a day...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2009, 03:52:50 PM
There ya go. Personally, I'd just get a couple of those diamond shaped CNG stickers and call it a day...

Or I could just pay the test monkey off...

Probably cheaper.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GoCougs

Quote from: Psilos on February 08, 2009, 05:24:42 PM
Survive what? The coming Cougspocolypse?

:lol:

LOL - I hope you don't mind if I use that!

Rupert

Odd observation: On the MG Experience forum, which is the other place I ask questions about the MG (hey, more brains, the better), no one seems to read anything very critically. I'll say in the first post of my topic "I just did a tune up with new oil/filter, [etc.]", and the first reply will be "well, you'd better change your oil!". I'll add a post about the ID emissions stuff, with a link, and the next post will be "Are you sure you have to pass emissions with a car of that year? There might be an exemption." How annoying, right?

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on February 08, 2009, 05:29:37 PM
LOL - I hope you don't mind if I use that!

Go for it, but credit me somehow. "The crazy hippie fucker on CarSPIN said..." Or something.

:lol:

Morris Minor

In your other thread (http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=17003.00) you detail the compression problems you are having in two of the cylinders. If the mixture isn't being compressed properly it's not going to burn properly, it may be spewing unburned gas out of closed-but-leaky exhaust valves, hence the excess HCs in the emissions test.

Hopefully your greenhouse gas emissons sin is unconnected to the Australian bush fires this weekend.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7877178.stm  :lol:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

Oh no! It's all my fault!

Yeah, the bad compression probably isn't helping anything. I have no intention of fixing it, though, so, oh well.

ChrisV

Can you register it as a Classic or Street Rod?

Idaho is stupid about that testing, as cars older than about '69 don't have emissions crap on them anyhow. Hell, even Nazi Kalifornia woudn't require your car to be tested.

Run it lean, buy a bottle of that "guaranteed to pass emissions" crap and pay off the monkey. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

Yes he can.
http://www.dmv.org/id-idaho/smog-check.php

Exempt Vehicles

While most vehicles in Northern Ada County are required to pass an emissions test, the law does not require that all vehicles be tested. For example, you do not have to have an emissions test, even in Ada County, if your vehicle:
    * Is a model year 1964 or earlier
    * Is powered by propane, electricity, or another fuel that is not gasoline or diesel fuel
    * Is less than one year old and still owned by the first owner
    * Has a maximum vehicle gross weight under 1,500 pounds
    * Is classified as a motorhome on your registration
    * Is classified as an Idaho Old Timer or a Classic Vehicle

I found elsewhere that cars over 30 years old are eligible for Classic Vehicle status.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

yeah, kinda figured that to be the case. There are usually annual mileage limits on classic cars or street rods, though I dont' know of anyone who actually checks mileage. They are also eligible for dirt cheap assigned value insurance thorugh places like Hagerty if you do that (my Fiat, for example was $120 a year for full coverage through Hagerty).

Rupert

http://www.dmv.org/id-idaho/license-plates.php#Special_Plates:_(Only_Available_by_Mail_or_Fax)

Only for use in parades and exhibitions. They'd know when it was parked on the street in front of work all week...

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on February 09, 2009, 08:18:28 AM

Idaho is stupid about that testing, as cars older than about '69 don't have emissions crap on them anyhow. Hell, even Nazi Kalifornia woudn't require your car to be tested.

Run it lean, buy a bottle of that "guaranteed to pass emissions" crap and pay off the monkey. ;)

See above, but, also, word to the rest. :lol:

Morris Minor

Many people in Georgia register old cars as "classics." You smell them before you actually see them - battered old Detroit tin boxes spewing crap into the air as their owners commute to their jobs at junk food restaurant fry stations.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ChrisV

Quote from: Psilos on February 09, 2009, 07:01:38 PM
http://www.dmv.org/id-idaho/license-plates.php#Special_Plates:_(Only_Available_by_Mail_or_Fax)

Only for use in parades and exhibitions. They'd know when it was parked on the street in front of work all week...

that is the same as the rules here. Pleasure driving counts. No one checks, and if you get pulled over, you were "prepping the car for a club show later." I mean, you weren't planning on driving it daily all year long, were you?

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on February 09, 2009, 08:18:28 AM

Beat me to it.  Try leaning it out and see if it passes.  Once it does, reset the carbs so it runs decently again.  Also make sure it's fully warmed up and the choke isn't partially engaged.   

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 05:39:37 AM
that is the same as the rules here. Pleasure driving counts. No one checks, and if you get pulled over, you were "prepping the car for a club show later." I mean, you weren't planning on driving it daily all year long, were you?

In Michigan, cars with historic plates are for shows only. Pleasure driving is illegal. They also don't keep historic plates in the database with normal plates, so a cop can impound your car for not being registered, even if you are at a car show.

Byteme

Some tips I found on the internet.

THE 6 SMOG COMMANDMENTS - The MUST DO's before you visit a smog station or smog test only center!

Do not subject your vehicle to a Smog Inspection if it does not run right. Chances are that it will fail the smog check and you will lose your inspection fee. Seek repair assistance first. This will save you time and money, and insure your vehicle will pass the smog test.

Drive your vehicle for at least 20 minutes prior to arriving at the smog station. This will ensure your vehicle is properly warmed up and is running at it's optimum level. Remember your engine is a fuel burning machine. To ensure proper combustion it needs to have sufficient time to warm-up and this can be accomplished through driving for at least 10 to 15 miles.

The use of fuel additives, such as BLUE SKY Clean Air, can be very helpful in lowering emission levels. Fuel additives are generally poured into a vehicle's gas tank during fuel refilling. The additive is mixed with ordinary fuel. The purpose is to clean carbon deposits within your engine's intake and exhaust paths, allowing for both fuel and air to flow freely within its passages, thus lowering emission levels and improving combustion, as well as overall engine performance. These types of products offer helpful solutions to various vehicle emission and smog test problems.
Learn more about fuel additives at www.blueskycleanair.com.

During the smog inspection, the smog technician may need to drive your vehicle on a dynamometer as a part of the smog test process. Making sure your vehicle's tire pressures are even and correct will allow the vehicle to be driven with greater stability and accuracy during the smog exam. This will improve the overall emissions output of your vehicle by allowing the engine to maintain a constant and steady load. Correct and even tire pressure may be the deciding factor between a borderline vehicle failing or passing the smog test.

If it's close to your next oil change interval, go ahead and do it before the smog check. The PCV (positive crank ventilation) system of your vehicle is designed to allow your engine to breath fumes located in oil compartments (oil pan, ect.). The fumes are then burned through the combustion process. If the oil in your engine is contaminated due to inadequate oil changes it may very well cause your vehicle to fail the inspection. Contaminated oils are high in Hydrocarbons (HC) and will present a rich mixture to the engine chambers. Avoiding oil changes not only causes pre-mature engine wear but can also cause your vehicle to fail the smog inspection. Change your vehicle's engine oil.

Make sure your vehicle's Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Lamp is not illuminated. A constantly illuminated Check Engine or MIL light is an automatic smog failure. A certified repair shop can diagnose the check engine light condition and offer you an evaluation and estimate. The home mechanic may also diagnose a Check Engine light malfunction via special Check Engine codes retrieval tools, available at most auto parts stores. Note: A smog technician can not refuse to test your vehicle based on the fact that he or she notices an illuminated light. The smog technician must perform the smog check and fail your vehicle. This is California State law. Be aware. 

ChrisV

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 10, 2009, 10:54:20 AM
In Michigan, cars with historic plates are for shows only. Pleasure driving is illegal. They also don't keep historic plates in the database with normal plates, so a cop can impound your car for not being registered, even if you are at a car show.

Same wording as most places:

"You can apply for historical plates if your prized vehicle is 26 years old or older, owned as a collector's item and used only in parades, exhibitions or car club activities. You cannot use a designated historical vehicle for everyday functions such as driving to and from work or running errands."

Again, if you do get stopped, you're not driving it to work or on errands, but prepping it for a club activity (like a tour or show).

i do like MD's better:

"Historic:

To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration.  This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.

Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.  The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passenngers or property on highways. 

Street Rod:
To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.

Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways."

The bolded parts really open it up. The two classifications mean no emissions or safety inspection.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 11:34:21 AM
Same wording as most places:

"You can apply for historical plates if your prized vehicle is 26 years old or older, owned as a collector's item and used only in parades, exhibitions or car club activities. You cannot use a designated historical vehicle for everyday functions such as driving to and from work or running errands."

Again, if you do get stopped, you're not driving it to work or on errands, but prepping it for a club activity (like a tour or show).

i do like MD's better:

"Historic:

To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration.  This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.

Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.  The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passenngers or property on highways. 

Street Rod:
To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.

Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways."

The bolded parts really open it up. The two classifications mean no emissions or safety inspection.

A Michigan state cop threatened to impound my Z, at a car show, even though I had a properly registered historical vehicle.

It wasn't in his system, and it wasn't supposed to be either.

ChrisV

What a stupid system. The Michigan DMV says nothing about that situation, and acts like they are regular plates. Ours in MD ARE regular plates that the car is registered with.

Hmm, the Michigan DMV says it's registered to the title or previous registration and comes with a registration tab/sticker. that cop may have been full of crap.

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 05:39:37 AM

In the summer, when I'm in town, yeah. I'm also planning on some touring with it.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 01:07:30 PM
What a stupid system. The Michigan DMV says nothing about that situation, and acts like they are regular plates. Ours in MD ARE regular plates that the car is registered with.

Hmm, the Michigan DMV says it's registered to the title or previous registration and comes with a registration tab/sticker. that cop may have been full of crap.

I had a historical plate from 1976. It had no tab, because there wasn't one that year. It was legal and I had a valid, state issued registration, but the cop didn't know what he was talking about. That wouldn't necessarily stop him from impounding my car, though.

They had 3 damn state cops on the scene trying to figure this out.

After I got stopped, I had the plate changed back to the normal one.

Rupert

^ What I want to avoid, and what it seems like to police around here would do.

Byteme

Quote from: Psilos on February 10, 2009, 08:19:15 PM

I know lots of people with historic auto plates in Texas and they all say they've never been hassled by the police regardless of where they were driving the car.  And Texas has just about the same restrictions an the other states regarding historic or antique vehicle plates.

When trying to determine if you are going to be hassled I think it's going to come down to the individual officer and the jurisdiction.  Most won't really care, a few will.

Laconian

Quote from: Psilos on February 10, 2009, 08:19:15 PM
At least it's a fixed cost, whereas getting your car to pass the smog checks could be a real money pit. I think it's worth a shot.

Rupert

Laconian

On the other hand, fixing your HC emissions issue might result in better performance? (mixture is used more for exploding and less for smoking.)

I still need to see this car before your car gods smite it.

Rupert

You'd better come to Boise, then. :lol:

The mixture is right now, but the carbs aren't in very good condition. There is probably an ignition issue, and something is fouling the plugs... Everything just needs a rebuild. I'm thinking of having the carbs rebuilt, and maybe the dizzy, but the engine is just gonna have to remain in its current condition. :ohyeah: