Zoiks! I'm the cause of global warming!

Started by Rupert, February 07, 2009, 05:09:31 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Psilos on February 11, 2009, 10:16:08 PM
You'd better come to Boise, then. :lol:

The mixture is right now, but the carbs aren't in very good condition. There is probably an ignition issue, and something is fouling the plugs... Everything just needs a rebuild. I'm thinking of having the carbs rebuilt, and maybe the dizzy, but the engine is just gonna have to remain in its current condition. :ohyeah:

The mixture may be right for driving but it's not right for passing inspection.  lean it out a bunch, go pass inspection and then reset them back to "normal" for driving.

omicron

To join in the registration debate....

Historic and prescribed left-hand drive vehicles may be:

- conditionally registered to obtain reduced fees
- registered for periods of 1, 2 or 3 years
- driven on a road for up to 90 days during any 1 year period of registration.

A vehicle registered as a historic or prescribed left-hand drive may not be driven for hire, fare or reward.

To qualify for reduced fees, the owner of the vehicle must be a financial member of a historic vehicle club that is recognised by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for this purpose.

Before the start of each journey, details of the journey must be recorded in a Log Book. Log Books must be:

- issued by the recognised historic vehicle clubs
- in a form approved by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles
- carried in the vehicle at all times during a journey.

Definitions (for the purpose of the Motor Vehicles Act and Regulations)

A historic vehicle:

- is a vehicle where 30 years or more have lapsed since 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured
- has not been modified from its original design to any significant extent.

A prescribed left-hand drive vehicle:

- is a vehicle that has its steering wheel on the left of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle
- was manufactured before 1 January 1974
- has not been modified from its original design to any significant extent.

_____

Blecch. I'd sooner pay a bit more and register the car for everyday use, rather than fill out some ridiculous logbook and have to worry about how often I could use the car. There are no emissions tests to speak of here, either.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Byteme on February 12, 2009, 06:40:31 AM
The mixture may be right for driving but it's not right for passing inspection.  lean it out a bunch, go pass inspection and then reset them back to "normal" for driving.

That's the plan, but I'm still thinking of getting a rebuild. I realized a couple of days ago that I'm getting, like, 10 mpg.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Laconian

Quote from: Psilos on February 12, 2009, 06:30:28 PM
That's the plan, but I'm still thinking of getting a rebuild. I realized a couple of days ago that I'm getting, like, 10 mpg.
You are the cause of global warming.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on February 12, 2009, 06:30:28 PM

LOL, yeah something's wrong.

I got 12 MPG on the Caddy with the old motor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Indeed. The thing's got 150 kmi on it, and I doubt such things have been done. I know the dizzy is pretty worn out. That's probably the next big thing to get rebuilt, but it works OK. The engine has low compression in the number 2 (discussed before...), so it could probably use a rebuild, too. That'll never get done, though. I'd put a V8 in there before I rebuilt the 1800. Not like it's some kind of feat of engineering...

I'm hoping a carb rebuild will fix the emissions, the gas mileage, and the very fast plug fouling (which is still 50% suspicion).

Byteme

Quote from: Psilos on February 13, 2009, 12:28:01 AM
Indeed. The thing's got 150 kmi on it, and I doubt such things have been done. I know the dizzy is pretty worn out. That's probably the next big thing to get rebuilt, but it works OK. The engine has low compression in the number 2 (discussed before...), so it could probably use a rebuild, too. That'll never get done, though. I'd put a V8 in there before I rebuilt the 1800. Not like it's some kind of feat of engineering...

I'm hoping a carb rebuild will fix the emissions, the gas mileage, and the very fast plug fouling (which is still 50% suspicion).

Haynes publishes a very, very good book on SUs.  Covers the rebuild and adjustment of just about every SU ever made.  Anyone with a LBC (Little British Car) should own one.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Byteme on February 13, 2009, 06:46:54 AM
Haynes publishes a very, very good book on SUs.  Covers the rebuild and adjustment of just about every SU ever made.  Anyone with a LBC (Little British Car) should own one.
I remember helping my dad take those things apart when I was a kid.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

I know I would get frustrated with that. The local MG (and other imports) mechanic can rebuild both for $150, so I'm doing that. I'm sure it's not a super duper good job, and they won't be shiny, but the carbs will work right. I think if I was planning on a larger restoration, and I had the space and all the time in the world, I'd be more into rebuilding myself.

Rupert

Quote from: Byteme on February 13, 2009, 06:46:54 AM

Also, I know what an LBC is. ;) :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: Psilos on February 13, 2009, 06:58:56 PM
I know I would get frustrated with that. The local MG (and other imports) mechanic can rebuild both for $150, so I'm doing that. I'm sure it's not a super duper good job, and they won't be shiny, but the carbs will work right. I think if I was planning on a larger restoration, and I had the space and all the time in the world, I'd be more into rebuilding myself.

They are easy to rebuild though.  THe hardest part is centering the jet.  And you need a wentworth socket for that chore.

Rupert

Maybe that's why the mechanic is so cheap...

Anyway, I would rather have a mechanic who's done it before do it. If I had a better set-up, no time constraint, and no emissions to pass, I'd probably do it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Byteme on February 15, 2009, 06:51:16 PM
They are easy to rebuild though.  THe hardest part is centering the jet.  And you need a wentworth socket for that chore.

Ah yes, the perverse British fetish for inventing odd units of measure...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Bump, goddammit.

Same shit, different month. At this point, we can be pretty sure that it's not the internals of the engine causing super high HC at idle. It's got to be the carbs or ignition. Both are set up pretty good now, and I don't think being a little out of tune would result in 5000 ppm (900 standard) of HC only at idle. I most suspect the ignition, and the distributor is the most likely culprit. The wires, points, condensor, coil, and plugs are all new and set up right in the last 1000 miles. In order to get the timing right, I have the dizzy rotated a lot further than most people go, so I suspect that it's just worn and needs a rebuild.

At least it doesn't smoke on hard acceleration, anymore...

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

And now I just have to send the Classic Car plates application off...

I'm satisfied that, whatever the problem is, it's not a big deal. The car runs fine and idles fine, and the only emissions problem is at idle. I still want to know what the deal is, but it's not a major problem.

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on July 24, 2009, 05:50:21 PM
This is bullshit.

OMG yur so rite.

I wish I'd never had to have the emissions tested to begin with. Then I never would have torn the whole damn thing apart, etc., and I'd never know there could possibly be a problem.

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 24, 2009, 05:59:29 PM
Megasquirt

Yeah, I'd like that. Too much money and effort, though. I also like the SUs, they're just a little out of shape.

SVT_Power

you know what I would do? Just pay off the garage to pass the test.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 24, 2009, 10:02:19 PM
you know what I would do? Just pay off the garage to pass the test.

If Idaho is like NY, that can't be done with the emissions test.  A sniffer is hooked up to the exhaust pipe, and is in constant communication with the DMV.  Your pass/fail printout is a state document right from the DMV.  And with all the inventory/tracking of the inspection stickers, etc., a lot of shops (even ones that used to) don't do stuff like that anymore.

'Course, the DMV is so hopelessly backlogged that it could probably fly under the radar, but there's some nasty fines and penalties, so it's not worth it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 10:09:29 PM
If Idaho is like NY, that can't be done with the emissions test.  A sniffer is hooked up to the exhaust pipe, and is in constant communication with the DMV.  Your pass/fail printout is a state document right from the DMV.  And with all the inventory/tracking of the inspection stickers, etc., a lot of shops (even ones that used to) don't do stuff like that anymore.

'Course, the DMV is so hopelessly backlogged that it could probably fly under the radar, but there's some nasty fines and penalties, so it's not worth it.

The last time our team's silverado went for a test (It runs uber rich - this thing's so modified and nobody's around anymore who's worked on it so nobody wants to get into fixing it) there was no way it was gonna pass but it read 0's across the board. They just didn't hook up the sniffer thing

:huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 24, 2009, 10:12:35 PM
The last time our team's silverado went for a test (It runs uber rich - this thing's so modified and nobody's around anymore who's worked on it so nobody wants to get into fixing it) there was no way it was gonna pass but it read 0's across the board. They just didn't hook up the sniffer thing

:huh:

Adam's right. If the sniffer isn't hooked up, it won't take data. The thing can sense if it is in the tailpipe or not.

And I tried to pay the monkey off, but there's only so much cheating that you can do on these tests, and it wasn't good enough.

Rupert

Compression is good! 143, 145, 148, 142. Everything else is set right and in tune. Sweet!

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 11:23:35 PM
Adam's right. If the sniffer isn't hooked up, it won't take data. The thing can sense if it is in the tailpipe or not.

And I tried to pay the monkey off, but there's only so much cheating that you can do on these tests, and it wasn't good enough.

Just hook it up to a different car. :lol:

Rupert

Oh yeah... Well, the monkey changed since last time, so I dunno if this monkey is into bribery. I suppose it can't hurt to ask...

Middle_Path

Quote from: Psilos on July 25, 2009, 09:50:15 PM
Oh yeah... Well, the monkey changed since last time, so I dunno if this monkey is into bribery. I suppose it can't hurt to ask...

Dude, it's really easy. You go to a small shop run by minorities(Asians or Hispanics.) You pay $80-100 and it magically passes.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

hotrodalex

You should rent a Prius and have them use that for the tests.