2011 BMW 5-Series GT revealed

Started by SVT666, February 13, 2009, 08:46:50 AM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NomisR on March 12, 2009, 04:17:13 PM
People buy them?  I've only seen 2 on the road so far.  I've seen more Lambos and other exotics than I have of X6.  Who the hell buys them?
Thats double the amount I've seen!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

nickdrinkwater

Apparently this thing is gonna replace the wagon - at least in the States.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109070920349/bmw-5-series-gt-crossover-to-replace-5-series-wagon

QuoteIn an interview with Inside Line, BMW suggested the BMW 5-Series Wagon may be on its way out in the States.  The vehicle could essentially be replaced by the 5er GT crossover introduced in Geneva earlier this year.

Stateside, the 5-Series wagon has only sold about 400 units this year, and BMW needs a higher-volume seller for this segment.  The car is typically outsold in the U.S. by the very niche-focused BMW M5, while the 540i wagon was consistently beaten by the BMW Z8.

BMW hopes to sell up to 8,000 units of the BMW 5-Series GT every year, worldwide.

omicron

A market the size of the United States can only find room for 400 of these?

Argh! Stop buying the same bloody cars as each other! You don't all have to buy X5s just because Mr. Nextdoor did!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: omicron on July 09, 2009, 08:49:13 AM
A market the size of the United States can only find room for 400 of these?

Argh! Stop buying the same bloody cars as each other! You don't all have to buy X5s just because Mr. Nextdoor did!

:facepalm:

Hachee

I have an X5, and I'd take a 5-Series wagon over any day (and I had an allroad previously), but we needed the third row for frequently dragging around extra kids for short distances.  Sure, a minivan would have been more sensible, or a Pilot would be roomier, but for let's leave that discussion out for now. For whatever reason, Americans are just not into wagons, and if you need the third row, there are basically no choices other than minivans or SUVs or now crossover type cars. 

And Americans just don't go for pricey wagons.  But for BMW to think the GT is really going to outsell the 5 wagon, they're nuts.  Maybe it'll sell decently at first, but it will die quickly.  It'll be as expensive as the wagon, if not more, and with no 3rd row (which obviously won't work here), it doesn't really serve any purpose that the wagon doesn't.  Maybe you'll sway a few X5 buyers.  But most of all, it looks terrible.  I actually LIKE the concept of this car, and if I didn't need a 3rd row, maybe it would work, but jeez, it's just graceless.  I also think they fucked up with the color choice on the concept, which just makes it look that much worse.

Raza

Quote from: Hachee on July 09, 2009, 10:55:49 AM
I have an X5, and I'd take a 5-Series wagon over any day (and I had an allroad previously), but we needed the third row for frequently dragging around extra kids for short distances.  Sure, a minivan would have been more sensible, or a Pilot would be roomier, but for let's leave that discussion out for now. For whatever reason, Americans are just not into wagons, and if you need the third row, there are basically no choices other than minivans or SUVs or now crossover type cars. 

And Americans just don't go for pricey wagons.  But for BMW to think the GT is really going to outsell the 5 wagon, they're nuts.  Maybe it'll sell decently at first, but it will die quickly.  It'll be as expensive as the wagon, if not more, and with no 3rd row (which obviously won't work here), it doesn't really serve any purpose that the wagon doesn't.  Maybe you'll sway a few X5 buyers.  But most of all, it looks terrible.  I actually LIKE the concept of this car, and if I didn't need a 3rd row, maybe it would work, but jeez, it's just graceless.  I also think they fucked up with the color choice on the concept, which just makes it look that much worse.

I think they're going for the potential X6 buyer who is standing in a car lot saying "Hmm, this is a bit too tall.  Do you have anything exactly like it, but lower?"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.