Bentley SUV!!!

Started by BMWDave, May 11, 2005, 11:57:09 AM

BMWDave

Link

Automotive DNA - Bentley's Big Ute: Building on the power of a marque
GREG KABLE
Published Date: 5/9/05
Think Bentley, and regal luxury and hugely powerful coupes come to mind, right? That?s the way it?s been for decades. However, if plans being hatched at parent company Volkswagen come to fruition, you might have to add ?sport/utility vehicle? to the image of what Bentley represents.

Despite denials from Bentley officials, AutoWeek sources learned the famed British carmaker, in a radical departure from its traditional line, is weighing the possibility of producing a large, high-end SUV to go up against the likes of the Land Rover Range Rover, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator and Porsche Cayenne Turbo. If approved, the Bentley SUV would represent a major change in species, indeed.

Codenamed BY616, the luxurious, leather-lined four-wheel-drive vehicle is one of many proposals put forward by VW in recent months as a means of further advancing the renewed Bentley brand.

DNA SWAPPING
Bubbling up from the great primordial ooze that is platform sharing, a number of vehicles in VW?s corporate family have like mechanicals, including VW Touareg, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. Despite loud pronouncements to the contrary, word is that a study group within Bentley is looking at the feasibility of making an ultra-high-end sport/ute. Which prompts us to ask: Is nothing sacred?

Plans call for building the five-seat Bentley SUV on the same chassis as the seven-seat Audi Q7, itself a variation on the Porsche Cayenne/VW Touareg underpinnings.

The call for the new Bentley follows the success of the Touareg W12 Sport, a 6.0-liter 450-hp W12-power?ed version of the VW SUV. Produced in a limited run of 500, the $100,000 four-wheel-drive Touareg sold out within a month of its announcement last September, some 330 of them heading to the Middle East, traditionally one of Bentley?s strongest markets.

The new Bentley is conceived to sit at the top of Volkswagen Group?s four-wheel-drive ranks, towering above the Touareg and the Q7 and priced at $160,000 to $200,000. Annual production should be 2000 units.

In keeping with Bentley?s tradition of building big and muscular-looking cars, the BY616 gets oversized dimensions that, if production is granted, will see it line up directly against the Range Rover. Initial proposals call for a vehicle stretching to more than 16 feet in length and 69 inches tall.

Insiders tell AutoWeek that solid high-speed stability, composed ride characteristics and taut body control would automatically be top priorities if the Bentley gets the green light. Suggestions are the BY616 wouldn?t feel too different from the Arnage in overall on-road feel.

Standard items include permanent four-wheel drive and air springs, the latter providing variable ride height; a transfer case and low-range gearing has been rejected on weight-savings grounds and because not too many Bentley customers are likely to want to go off-road in a big way.

As with the Continental GT and Flying Spur, the BY616 is conceived to run a 6.0-liter W12 engine, both for performance and for production efficiency. Unlike in its coupe and sedan siblings, however, the four-valves-per-cylinder unit is designed to do without turbocharging, meaning power drops from 650 hp to 450 hp, as in the Touareg W12 Sport. Despite the drop, and with weight well above 4400 pounds, performance would be quite impressive, even by Bentley?s exulted standards, if the Touareg?s 0-to-62-mph time of 5.9 seconds is anything to go by.

We also learned that Bentley is discussing the possibility of giving its ute hybrid power, the standard 6.0-liter W12 being boosted with the addition of electric power. Such a setup is being readied for the Q7, according to Audi chairman Martin Winterkorn, making it easily adaptable to the Bentley.

One of the biggest hurdles to a possible go-ahead for the Bentley SUV is where to build it. Bentley is already eying VW?s underused Dresden plant?home to the slow-selling Phaeton?to boost its production capacity.

The big concern, of course, is the potential damage the addition of an SUV could do to Bentley?s blue-chip image. Traditionalists likely will be outraged at the notion of a lofty four-wheel-drive, terrain-traversing model wearing the time-honored Bentley crest. But Bentley?s customer base has changed dramatically in recent years, and there are signs the majority of new Bentley owners may actually welcome such a move.

?The average age of Continental GT buyers is below 50,? says a Bentley source based in North America. ?Many don?t have any preconceptions of what a Bentley should be, except that it must make a bold visual statement.?

So should Bentley do this?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

MaxPower

it really looks like a jacked up continental gt.  They should differentiate it better stylisticly

BMWDave

Quoteit really looks like a jacked up continental gt.  They should differentiate it better stylisticly
Thats just a rendering.

2007 Honda S2000

oilfilter

IIRC, not the first time Bentley is making an SUV, although maybe the first regular production model.

The Sultan of Brunei actually has a few customized Bentleys as SUVs, shooting brake wagons etc.

But the thing in the pic above looks vulgar. They should stick to cars and leave SUVs to VW...  rokon.gif  

Catman

"How many more Mr. Speaker?  How many more?"

Speed_Racer

A-ha! This is just what we need. I knew that there was something missing from the large range of Luxury SUVs currently being offered.

Can you say "Bling Bling"?

Why?

Quote"How many more Mr. Speaker?  How many more?"
LOL!!!  BANG.

If they make it luxurious enough then why not. But I have never heard the term "body control" and Bentley in the same sentence in a positive way before, lol.

BMWDave

QuoteIIRC, not the first time Bentley is making an SUV, although maybe the first regular production model.

The Sultan of Brunei actually has a few customized Bentleys as SUVs, shooting brake wagons etc.

But the thing in the pic above looks vulgar. They should stick to cars and leave SUVs to VW...  rokon.gif
Like I said, this is just a rendering.  The production version, if Bentley went ahead with it, would be much nice and more appealling.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteIIRC, not the first time Bentley is making an SUV, although maybe the first regular production model.

But the thing in the pic above looks vulgar. They should stick to cars and leave SUVs to VW...  rokon.gif
Like I said, this is just a rendering.  The production version, if Bentley went ahead with it, would be much nice and more appealling.
I don't know, I think it would be much bad and less appealling.  :lol:  

BMWDave

But the thing in the pic above looks vulgar. They should stick to cars and leave SUVs to VW...? rokon.gif
I don't know, I think it would be much bad and less appealling.  :lol:
Bentley usually makes beautiful cars, so I think we can assume they'd make a beautiful SUV. :praise:  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

Is nothing sacred?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteIs nothing sacred?
I see nothing wrong with them making an SUV...they are makers of sport touring cars, so an SUV could be sporty and a touring car.

On the other hand, if Aston Martin were to make an SUV, that would go against their brand identity.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteIs nothing sacred?
I see nothing wrong with them making an SUV...they are makers of sport touring cars, so an SUV could be sporty and a touring car.

Just like the Porsche Cayenne. Porsche had always made nimble, fast, sporty cars, and the Cayenne is no different.  :rolleyes:  

BMWDave

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

Just like the Porsche Cayenne. Porsche had always made nimble, fast, sporty cars, and the Cayenne is no different.  :rolleyes:
I dont see something wrong with the Porsche Cayenne..it is easily the most nimble SUV out there.  

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

I dont see something wrong with the Porsche Cayenne..it is easily the most nimble SUV out there.
Some things should just be avoided.  What's next a Ferrari SUV?

ifcar

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

I'd be inclined to suggest that the Infiniti FX outhandles it, but the Cayenne certainly does it with better ride comfort.

BMWDave

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

I'd be inclined to suggest that the Infiniti FX outhandles it, but the Cayenne certainly does it with better ride comfort.
And more comfort across the board while providing more sport than the Infinit...this from Car and Driver.

"The payoff for the crusty ride is a shocking resistance to body roll compared with any ute, save perhaps the Cayenne. The FX45 tied the Cayenne for champ of the skidpad at 0.85 g"

2007 Honda S2000

GMPenguin

I know that's just a rendering, but if it is built the Bentley people better be more creative than that.

BMWDave

QuoteI know that's just a rendering, but if it is built the Bentley people better be more creative than that.
I'm sure they would be.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

And more comfort across the board while providing more sport than the Infinit...this from Car and Driver.

"The payoff for the crusty ride is a shocking resistance to body roll compared with any ute, save perhaps the Cayenne. The FX45 tied the Cayenne for champ of the skidpad at 0.85 g"
That means it's far better than any other SUV, except maybe the Cayenne, which it's only slightly better than. It doesn't mean that they think the Cayenne handles better.

BMWDave

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

That means it's far better than any other SUV, except maybe the Cayenne, which it's only slightly better than. It doesn't mean that they think the Cayenne handles better.
Body roll is an essential part of handling, and they praised the Cayenne over it.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteIs nothing sacred?

Body roll is an essential part of handling, and they praised the Cayenne over it.
They only said that body roll resistance wasn't "shocking" compared to the Cayenne. They didn't say that the Cayenne had less body roll.

Car Zeus

to me adding an SUV to Bentley would cheapen their appeal.

mazda6er

Quoteto me adding an SUV to Bentley would cheapen their appeal.
thank you  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

Quoteto me adding an SUV to Bentley would cheapen their appeal.
thank you
why?  Bentley is now known for providing a sedan (Arnage soon to be the Spur) and coupe (continental GT) that are fast GT cars.  I see nothing wrong with them making a performance SUV with a big engine that combines exceptional comfort.

2007 Honda S2000

Lorinser

Does Bentley really need to make an SUV? rokon.gif  

BMWDave

QuoteDoes Bentley really need to make an SUV? rokon.gif
I see nothing wrong with them doing it if it helps them increase their volume which would enable them to stay alive longer and be profitable.  If the SUV is a GT car with sportiness, it would fit in right with the brands heritage.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I see nothing wrong with them doing it if it helps them increase their volume which would enable them to stay alive longer and be profitable.  If the SUV is a GT car with sportiness, it would fit in right with the brands heritage.
No, it does not. Building an SUV would serve the purpose of selling well, not building upon brand heritage at all. Responding to trends is the opposite of building through heritage, which is why the brand image would be cheapened.

BMWDave

No, it does not. Building an SUV would serve the purpose of selling well, not building upon brand heritage at all. Responding to trends is the opposite of building through heritage, which is why the brand image would be cheapened.
If its a sporty SUV that is a GT, just because its an SUV, doesnt mean it cant  be Bentley.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

If its a sporty SUV that is a GT, just because its an SUV, doesnt mean it cant  be Bentley.
Why should it be? They wouldn't add it because it belongs in the Bentley lineup, they'd add it to get some easy profit. And that's what cheapens the image.