Bentley SUV!!!

Started by BMWDave, May 11, 2005, 11:57:09 AM

BMWDave

QuoteDoes Bentley really need to make an SUV? rokon.gif
I see nothing wrong with them doing it if it helps them increase their volume which would enable them to stay alive longer and be profitable.  If the SUV is a GT car with sportiness, it would fit in right with the brands heritage.
No, it does not. Building an SUV would serve the purpose of selling well, not building upon brand heritage at all. Responding to trends is the opposite of building through heritage, which is why the brand image would be cheapened.
If its a sporty SUV that is a GT, just because its an SUV, doesnt mean it cant  be Bentley.
Why should it be? They wouldn't add it because it belongs in the Bentley lineup, they'd add it to get some easy profit. And that's what cheapens the image.
It doesnt cheapen the image.  Bentley is all about high end, sporty, GT vehicles.  If an SUV can fit the persona, how does it cheapen the image?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I see nothing wrong with them doing it if it helps them increase their volume which would enable them to stay alive longer and be profitable.  If the SUV is a GT car with sportiness, it would fit in right with the brands heritage.
No, it does not. Building an SUV would serve the purpose of selling well, not building upon brand heritage at all. Responding to trends is the opposite of building through heritage, which is why the brand image would be cheapened.
If its a sporty SUV that is a GT, just because its an SUV, doesnt mean it cant  be Bentley.
Why should it be? They wouldn't add it because it belongs in the Bentley lineup, they'd add it to get some easy profit. And that's what cheapens the image.
It doesnt cheapen the image.  Bentley is all about high end, sporty, GT vehicles.  If an SUV can fit the persona, how does it cheapen the image?
Answer this: Why should Bentley have an SUV?

BMWDave

Because it will bring in more profits to a high end brand that doesnt have much volume.  If that SUV is very exclusive, sporty and is a GT car, I see nothing wrong with them making it.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Because it will bring in more profits to a high end brand that doesnt have much volume.  If that SUV is very exclusive, sporty and is a GT car, I see nothing wrong with them making it.
There you go. Building a vehicle just to increase sales volume/profits cheapens the image of a high-end brand like Bentley, whether the vehicle is "very exclusive" (unlikely anyway) or not.  

mazda6er

It's common knowledge that if you want to make a quick buck in America, you add an SUV to your lineup. It would be "selling out".
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

There you go. Building a vehicle just to increase sales volume/profits cheapens the image of a high-end brand like Bentley, whether the vehicle is "very exclusive" (unlikely anyway) or not.
Why is it unlikely to be exclusive?  And making an SUV that fits Bentley's criteria doesnt cheapen their image.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

Would you consider the Porsche Cayanne exclusive?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteWould you consider the Porsche Cayanne exclusive?
nope, but what does that have to do with anything?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Why is it unlikely to be exclusive?  And making an SUV that fits Bentley's criteria doesnt cheapen their image.
It's unlikely to be exclusive unless they price it extremely high ($150K+), at which point it would flop anyway because the Cayenne would be the same vehicle for half the price.

And Bentley's "brand criteria" has nothing to do with it. Not only is an SUV addition recognized as just a way to get some easy profit, but directly sharing a vehicle with VW is also not going to fly well with anyone who knows anything about cars.

BMWDave

It's unlikely to be exclusive unless they price it extremely high ($150K+), at which point it would flop anyway because the Cayenne would be the same vehicle for half the price.

And Bentley's "brand criteria" has nothing to do with it. Not only is an SUV addition recognized as just a way to get some easy profit, but directly sharing a vehicle with VW is also not going to fly well with anyone who knows anything about cars.
So tell me, where does the Continental GT get its basic architecture from?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

It's the same car, for one, and it was also a vehicle intended to just make some easy money for a brand in which it was completely unrelated to any of the other vehicles there.

mazda6er

It's the same car, for one, and it was also a vehicle intended to just make some easy money for a brand in which it was completely unrelated to any of the other vehicles there.
Ah, the aroma of the almighty buck.  :ph34r:  
--Mark

ifcar

The VW Phaeton.

That car was also intended as a quick way to increase Bentley's sales volume, but at least it's a car.

BMWDave

The VW Phaeton.

That car was also intended as a quick way to increase Bentley's sales volume, but at least it's a car.
Exactly.  People wont dislike the car, 'just because they know where its based off of'.  If they can give the Cayenne's performance with Bentley luxury, they will have a winner.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

The VW Phaeton.

Exactly.  People wont dislike the car, 'just because they know where its based off of'.  If they can give the Cayenne's performance with Bentley luxury, they will have a winner.
You agreed with what I said while I criticized the Continental GT, yet you still think that there should be a Touareg-based Bentley SUV.

BMWDave

The VW Phaeton.

You agreed with what I said while I criticized the Continental GT, yet you still think that there should be a Touareg-based Bentley SUV.
Just what does that mean?  I asked you what architecture the Continental GT was based off, and you said VW Phaeton.  To which I responded "exactly."  THe Conti GT is doing extremely well, which further undermines your argument that the SUV would be a flop.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

The VW Phaeton.

Just what does that mean?  I asked you what architecture the Continental GT was based off, and you said VW Phaeton.  To which I responded "exactly."  THe Conti GT is doing extremely well, which further undermines your argument that the SUV would be a flop.
You said "exactly" in response to my post, in which I said that "That car was also intended as a quick way to increase Bentley's sales volume, but at least it's a car." And I said earlier in this thread that anything intended as a quick way to increase sales volume cheapens brand image.

And yes, the Continental GT has been selling well, and I never said otherwise. However, I said that the SUV would flop if it were priced above $150K, because there are three other versions of the vehicle far more similar than the Continental GT and the Phaeton.

BMWDave

I'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.  What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.  The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.  What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.  The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.
Of course it will sell, but it won't have the exclusivity that you mentioned that it would have earlier. It can't sell well AND be exclusive.  ;)

And its lack of exclusivity, like the Continental GT's, has hurt the brand image. The fact that it will be an SUV will be even worse.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.  What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.  The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.
Of course it will sell, but it won't have the exclusivity that you mentioned that it would have earlier. It can't sell well AND be exclusive.  ;)

And its lack of exclusivity, like the Continental GT's, has hurt the brand image. The fact that it will be an SUV will be even worse.
The continental GT is exlusive.  Just not as exclusive as an Arnage.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.  What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.  The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.

Quotenice catch! I see a lot of these around...theyre sort of not exotic anymore for me.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.? What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.? The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.

Quotenice catch! I see a lot of these around...theyre sort of not exotic anymore for me.
Once again...that all depends on your neighborhood.  I'm sure people in rural areas dont see a lot of them.  But they are still exclusive.  Having a run of 6K cars is exclusive.  Just because you see a lot of them in one area doesnt mean its not exclusive.  Its all in context.  I see a liot of Ferrari 360 Modenas, but theyre still exclusive.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Once again...that all depends on your neighborhood.  I'm sure people in rural areas dont see a lot of them.  But they are still exclusive.  Having a run of 6K cars is exclusive.  Just because you see a lot of them in one area doesnt mean its not exclusive.  Its all in context.  I see a liot of Ferrari 360 Modenas, but theyre still exclusive.
Many rural areas wouldn't typically see a Mercedes S-Class, that doesn't make it exclusive.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.? What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.? The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.

Many rural areas wouldn't typically see a Mercedes S-Class, that doesn't make it exclusive.
Tell me this...the Bentley has a run of about 6K cars-is that exclusive or not?  If I liver near a Ferrari dealer and see ferraris all the time that they become like 'common cars' does that make them mainstream and not exotic?  

The Ford GT has a run of 6K cars.  Is it exotic?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Tell me this...the Bentley has a run of about 6K cars-is that exclusive or not?  If I liver near a Ferrari dealer and see ferraris all the time that they become like 'common cars' does that make them mainstream and not exotic?  

Lots of mainstream cars have low production, many in fact selling less than that per year. It doesn't make them exotic.  

BMWDave

Lots of mainstream cars have low production, many in fact selling less than that per year. It doesn't make them exotic.
we're not talking about selling less than thar per year.  I'm talking about in their entire lifespan.  If you cant answer the question if a 6K production run car is exclusive, then I dont know...perhaps you only consider an Enzo or MC12 exclusive.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

we're not talking about selling less than thar per year.  I'm talking about in their entire lifespan.  If you cant answer the question if a 6K production run car is exclusive, then I dont know...perhaps you only consider an Enzo or MC12 exclusive.
This is still part of the reason I don't object to the Conti GT as much as this SUV. If they don't want to make many of them, they're risking damage to the brand's image with little gain, and if they make a lot of them, they move the brand into the mainstream.  

BMWDave

This is still part of the reason I don't object to the Conti GT as much as this SUV. If they don't want to make many of them, they're risking damage to the brand's image with little gain, and if they make a lot of them, they move the brand into the mainstream.
Why would they lose if they only made a few of them?  They could employ the same strategy they use with all their other cars.  Are they losing money on the Conti GT?  No theyre not, and it is a very limited production car.  Why cant this SUV be the same?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Why would they lose if they only made a few of them?  They could employ the same strategy they use with all their other cars.  Are they losing money on the Conti GT?  No theyre not, and it is a very limited production car.  Why cant this SUV be the same?
Because an SUV does not at all fit into the Bentley line, sporty or not, and its presence would hurt its brand image no matter how many they made. It's easily recognizable as a quick way to get some profit, and that's not the type of brand Bentley buyers are interested in.

BMWDave

Once again, I wont hit reply because this thing is getting to big.

Bentley buyers are interested in the top of the line, ultimate exclusive, ultra luxury, ultra fast, ultra everything car.  If an SUV fits those things, I dont think they would care.  The fact that it is an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.  

2007 Honda S2000