Bentley SUV!!!

Started by BMWDave, May 11, 2005, 11:57:09 AM

mazda6er

QuoteI'm not going to hit reply, because its getting too big.? What I said is that if they give this car Bentley looks and luxury, and give it the performance of the Cayenne, it will sell.? The two cars (potential Bentley SUV and Cayenne) could potentially be as different as the VW and the Conti GT.
Of course it will sell, but it won't have the exclusivity that you mentioned that it would have earlier. It can't sell well AND be exclusive.  ;)

And its lack of exclusivity, like the Continental GT's, has hurt the brand image. The fact that it will be an SUV will be even worse.
The continental GT is exlusive.  Just not as exclusive as an Arnage.

Quotenice catch! I see a lot of these around...theyre sort of not exotic anymore for me.
Once again...that all depends on your neighborhood.  I'm sure people in rural areas dont see a lot of them.  But they are still exclusive.  Having a run of 6K cars is exclusive.  Just because you see a lot of them in one area doesnt mean its not exclusive.  Its all in context.  I see a liot of Ferrari 360 Modenas, but theyre still exclusive.
Many rural areas wouldn't typically see a Mercedes S-Class, that doesn't make it exclusive.
Tell me this...the Bentley has a run of about 6K cars-is that exclusive or not?  If I liver near a Ferrari dealer and see ferraris all the time that they become like 'common cars' does that make them mainstream and not exotic?  

The Ford GT has a run of 6K cars.  Is it exotic?
Lots of mainstream cars have low production, many in fact selling less than that per year. It doesn't make them exotic.
we're not talking about selling less than thar per year.  I'm talking about in their entire lifespan.  If you cant answer the question if a 6K production run car is exclusive, then I dont know...perhaps you only consider an Enzo or MC12 exclusive.
This is still part of the reason I don't object to the Conti GT as much as this SUV. If they don't want to make many of them, they're risking damage to the brand's image with little gain, and if they make a lot of them, they move the brand into the mainstream.
Why would they lose if they only made a few of them?  They could employ the same strategy they use with all their other cars.  Are they losing money on the Conti GT?  No theyre not, and it is a very limited production car.  Why cant this SUV be the same?
Because an SUV does not at all fit into the Bentley line, sporty or not, and its presence would hurt its brand image no matter how many they made. It's easily recognizable as a quick way to get some profit, and that's not the type of brand Bentley buyers are interested in.
I think we're losing sight of the real question. It's not so much will a Bentley SUV sell, it will. The question is: is it appropriate for Bentley to produce an SUV, and the answer is no.  It was not appropriate for Porsche to produce an SUV, nor would it be appropriate for Lambo to produce an SUV. What's next, a Ferrari pickup? Some brands should stick to their tradition of producing ridiculously expensive and great CARS and realize that the SUV craze is not their arena. Bentley is one of them.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteOnce again, I wont hit reply because this thing is getting to big.

Bentley buyers are interested in the top of the line, ultimate exclusive, ultra luxury, ultra fast, ultra everything car.  If an SUV fits those things, I dont think they would care.  The fact that it is an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.
Yet you said earlier in this thread that you didn't have a problem with the Porsche Cayenne.  

BMWDave

Bentley buyers are interested in the top of the line, ultimate exclusive, ultra luxury, ultra fast, ultra everything car.  If an SUV fits those things, I dont think they would care.  The fact that it is an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.
Yet you said earlier in this thread that you didn't have a problem with the Porsche Cayenne.
No I dont at all.  Porsche created an SUV that has all the attributes of a Sports car except the size of it, and thus created the Porsche of SUVs which is fine.  If you would read my post, I said that an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.  

What I mean by that is that people arent going to look at Bentley and say an SUV is diluting the brands sporting heritage, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.   I in no way said in that post that I was against a Porsche SUV.  Sompe people are against it, like die hard porschephiles, but I never said that I myself was against it.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Bentley buyers are interested in the top of the line, ultimate exclusive, ultra luxury, ultra fast, ultra everything car.  If an SUV fits those things, I dont think they would care.  The fact that it is an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.
No I dont at all.  Porsche created an SUV that has all the attributes of a Sports car except the size of it, and thus created the Porsche of SUVs which is fine.  If you would read my post, I said that an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.  

What I mean by that is that people arent going to look at Bentley and say an SUV is diluting the brands sporting heritage, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.   I in no way said in that post that I was against a Porsche SUV.  Sompe people are against it, like die hard porschephiles, but I never said that I myself was against it.
When you made the comparison, it appeared that you were saying that an SUV would work for Bentley because it isn't supposed to be as sporty as Porsche or Ferrari, which suggests that an SUV wouldn't work for them.

Anyway, I don't think any of the three should have an SUV, but both sides have stated the same reasons over and over, so we might as well call this off, and you can just admit that I'm right.  

BMWDave

Bentley buyers are interested in the top of the line, ultimate exclusive, ultra luxury, ultra fast, ultra everything car.? If an SUV fits those things, I dont think they would care.? The fact that it is an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.

When you made the comparison, it appeared that you were saying that an SUV would work for Bentley because it isn't supposed to be as sporty as Porsche or Ferrari, which suggests that an SUV wouldn't work for them.

Anyway, I don't think any of the three should have an SUV, but both sides have stated the same reasons over and over, so we might as well call this off, and you can just admit that I'm right.
Or we could call off the argument and admit no one was right ;)

Everyone has their own opinion.  To state your opinion doesnt mean you won the argument.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Everyone has their own opinion.  To state your opinion doesnt mean you won the argument.
Um, I was kidding.  ;)  

BMWDave

Bentley buyers are interested in the top of the line, ultimate exclusive, ultra luxury, ultra fast, ultra everything car.? If an SUV fits those things, I dont think they would care.? The fact that it is an SUV wouldnt hurt its brand image, simply because its not as sport fixated as say, Porsche or Ferrari.

Um, I was kidding.  ;)
I didnt realize ;)  

A regular post about an SUV turns into a 80 reply monster :o  

At least the argument is over.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Um, I was kidding.  ;)
I didnt realize ;)  

A regular post about an SUV turns into a 80 reply monster :o  

At least the argument is over.
But where will I get my posts from now?  :lol:

I'd better write something controversial. Even better, you do it, and I'll reply.  ;)  

BMWDave

Lol, I think I should make up for it by posting more topics.  Oh, btw, GMPenguin hasnt answered any of our guesses for the GTCC.  What do we do if there is no answer for 24hrs?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteLol, I think I should make up for it by posting more topics.  Oh, btw, GMPenguin hasnt answered any of our guesses for the GTCC.  What do we do if there is no answer for 24hrs?
Wait, I guess.

We'll need to come up with a system for that. Perhaps a system in which mods take turns being told the answer by the topic starter to keep things moving faster is needed, I'll talk to GMPenguin and TurboDan (the other mod-powered members there).

Raza

I hope it never gets built.  Last thing the world needs is another ostentatious SUV.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.