The 2009 TL... I'm starting to like...

Started by YO, February 14, 2009, 02:27:48 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:15:07 PM
99 Accord V6 wasn't available in a manual...

Quote from: 2o6 on February 16, 2009, 07:15:48 PM
It was going to be a 4cyl Coupe IIRC.

Oh, how convenient this coupe.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 07:19:13 PM
Yeah, no.

The RL is a very good car. The pricetag and the relative quality isn't as high as it competitors.

YO

well yes... you can be a brand snob or drive both... no comparison... through in the 5 for good measure. Personally, only the M35/45 is as nice as the RL IMO...

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 07:19:13 PM
Yeah, no.
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 07:20:04 PM
Oh, how convenient this coupe.

:rolleyes:

Read my post.

Nowhere did I say that the V6 sedan he bought was a V6 MT Accord he tested.

Submariner

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:20:46 PM
well yes... you can be a brand snob or drive both... no comparison... through in the 5 for good measure. Personally, only the M35/45 is as nice as the RL IMO...

Not the A6 or the 5 series?

Haha ha hahahahaha
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

YO

The 5 always dissapoints me... too cramped for that class of car. I-drive is still tedious and seating position feels disconnected compared to the last gen. Horribly underpowered til they added the turbo. Still would take the RL and M over this car.

the A6 is beautiful inside and out. Something happened to Audi. They just drive awful to me. Every ride and drive I go to, It feels the worst. The only vehicle in this class that drives worse is the 9x.  As a tourer its fantastic. But the steering feels Lexus like... quicker and better but strange

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 07:22:18 PM
Not the A6 or the 5 series?

Haha ha hahahahaha
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:25:55 PM
The 5 always dissapoints me... too cramped for that class of car. I-drive is still tedious and seating position feels disconnected compared to the last gen. Horribly underpowered til they added the turbo. Still would take the RL and M over this car.
That just means you haven't driven an N52 530i, or any of the V8 variants. The RL isn't exactly a rocket either.

the A6 is beautiful inside and out. Something happened to Audi. They just drive awful to me. Every ride and drive I go to, It feels the worst. The only vehicle in this class that drives worse is the 9x.  As a tourer its fantastic. But the steering feels Lexus like... quicker and better but strange
I don't know about the A6, but every time I drive my sister's TSX back to back with our A4, I can't help but think how much better the Audi's engine is, and how much better it handles.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

CJ

Audi has a 3 year/36,000 mile maintenance plan, I believe.

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 08:36:35 PM
apples to apples... no V8 in the RL and that would throw the price difference almost $20k

The RL is a ~7-second car, and so is the N52 530i.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:25:55 PM

Who cares how it was? What matters is how it is.  And it is a....wait the seating position feels disconnected?  THE FUCKING SEATING POSITION FEELS DISCONNECTED?   :nutty: :rastaman:  If that made sense I would argue it, so for the sake of argument, lets say you feel the BMW feels disconnected compared to the last model...even if it was, were talking about a BMW 5 vs. an Acura RL...please.  :rolleyes:

No

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 09:18:35 PM

That's ignorant. He's driven both (ALL of them) cars and has formed his opinion of them based on how he felt. He likes the RL, the RL is not a bad car. There's no reason to mess with him because he doesn't like the same two cars you do. He's not putting the BMW or Audi down, he just likes the RL better.

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on February 16, 2009, 09:26:19 PM
That's ignorant. He's driven both (ALL of them) cars and has formed his opinion of them based on how he felt. He likes the RL, the RL is not a bad car. There's no reason to mess with him because he doesn't like the same two cars you do. He's not putting the BMW or Audi down, he just likes the RL better.

Ive driven an RL and several different 5 series as well...

To say that the seating position in the BMW is disconnected...?

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 09:27:41 PM
Ive driven an RL and several different 5 series as well...

And you're different people.

To say that the seating position in the BMW is disconnected...?

To him, the driver-steering relationship is wrong. This is true of cars such as the Toyota Corolla. Teuton Said the same thing about the VW Jetta. YO is saying this about the 5-series.

It does not suit his needs, and the RL does.

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

MrH

I agree with GoCougs completely.

You guys need to understand the concept of statistically significant sample sizes.

You're trying to argue with objective data with personal boo-who stories.  Takes a stats class and then come back to this thread.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Quote from: MrH on February 17, 2009, 07:04:54 AM
I agree with GoCougs completely.

You guys need to understand the concept of statistically significant sample sizes.

You're trying to argue with objective data with personal boo-who stories.  Takes a stats class and then come back to this thread.
Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
And yes Honda struggles with the 2nd gear AT design... which has since been fixed... I LOVE the RL, TL-S and current line up of transmission...

Quote from: 2o6 on February 16, 2009, 07:15:06 PM

Data?

http://www.samarins.com/reviews/accord.html

"Some of the possible problem areas were automatic transmission on V6 models and the "check engine" light with EGR related codes on V6 models. "

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml

^^
#125 complaints of transmission failure.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2434676
"They have an alarmingly high failure rate for a Japanese vehicle. The failure rates were high enough that Honda offered a 7yr/100k extended warranty on the transmission only to maintain consumer confidence and resale values. The transmissions commonly fail at 50-70k miles."

It is relatively common knowledge that the Honda V6 AT combo isn't that good.

YO

that is a rediculous statement. It's like Dubya spouting off about WMDs. Yes Honda had some tranny problems but not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

It's like saying Audi's were built specifically to redesign garages.  Study the facts before you Dubya up your opinions...

Quote from: TBR on February 17, 2009, 07:36:24 AM
It is relatively common knowledge that the Honda V6 AT combo isn't that good.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

TBR

Quote from: YO on February 17, 2009, 07:43:28 AM
that is a rediculous statement. It's like Dubya spouting off about WMDs. Yes Honda had some tranny problems but not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

It's like saying Audi's were built specifically to redesign garages.  Study the facts before you Dubya up your opinions...

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/index.shtml
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/index.shtml
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2001/index.shtml

GoCougs

I'd like to see a reliability list that places Audi above Acura. I think we all know that in the vast majority of lists Acura will be way, way ahead of Audi.

This isn't to state that I don't like Audi, or that Acura is perfect. The new A4 is an absolute stunner in person, and it is in general a more upscale marque, but no amount of adulation and anecdotes will upend reality.

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on February 17, 2009, 08:01:53 AM
I'd like to see a reliability list that places Audi above Acura. I think we all know that in the vast majority of lists Acura will be way, way ahead of Audi.

This isn't to state that I don't like Audi. The new A4 is an absolute stunner in person, and it is in general a more upscale marque, but no amount of adulation and anecdotes will upend reality.

With exception of the transmission problem an Acura is going to be more reliable (as I stated a couple pages back), but it is definitely a problem and it is substantial enough that I would hesitate to buy any 2003 or earlier Acura/Honda V6 with an AT. I wouldn't mind a CL-S 6-speed though.

TBR

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Audi/A4/2003/index.shtml
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/TL/2003/index.shtml

While the sample size here is undoubtedly quite small, it at least appears that the A4 doesn't have anymore trouble areas than the TL.

GoCougs

Oh, TBR, oh, TBR. I thought you knew better.

Anecdotes (AKA fanboy forums and what my pappy drives) aren't it.

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on February 17, 2009, 08:07:48 AM
Oh, TBR, oh, TBR. I thought you knew better.

Anecdotes (AKA fanboy forums and what my pappy drives) aren't it.
Try reading:
Quote from: TBR on February 17, 2009, 07:49:40 AM
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/index.shtml
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/index.shtml
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2001/index.shtml
Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
And yes Honda struggles with the 2nd gear AT design... which has since been fixed... I LOVE the RL, TL-S and current line up of transmission...

Tave

Quote from: TBR on February 17, 2009, 08:03:51 AM
With exception of the transmission problem an Acura is going to be more reliable

I don't think you're getting it.

Just because the transmission is a common trouble spot for the Accord, doesn't mean that it will have more transmission problems per vehicle than an Audi (or more problems in general, which we know it won't).

Let's pretend that Honda has 104 problems reported per 100 vehicles, and Audi has 170 per 100.

Now, it might be a good idea to watch the transmission on your Accord if it's identified as a trouble area, but it doesn't make it less reliable than an A4.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

YO

the report was on raw numbers not percentages

Quote from: Tave on February 17, 2009, 08:15:48 AM
I don't think you're getting it.

Just because the transmission is a common trouble spot for the Accord, doesn't mean that it will have more transmission problems per vehicle than an Audi (or more problems in general, which we know it won't).

Let's pretend that Honda has 104 problems reported per 100 vehicles, and Audi has 170 per 100.

Now, it might be a good idea to watch the transmission on your Accord if it's identified as a trouble area, but it doesn't make it less reliable than an A4.

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS