***Official Mercedes-Benz W212 Price List / Brochure / Technical Data***

Started by cawimmer430, February 15, 2009, 06:42:15 AM

Submariner

Quote from: thecarnut on February 16, 2009, 02:52:27 AM
I haven't heard you say a SINGLE nice thing about ANY Hyundai... even the Genesis.

Poor Hyundai...off crying in the corner from my wrath!

The only thing I've said about the E-class is I like the way it looks.  I don't like the Genesis looks.  I haven't commented on how they are to drive, how they are built, etc as I haven't driven them. 

As for other Hyundai's?  They're econo-snooze boxes.  I have no desire to look into them.  A civic, or Focus SVT are great small cars...namely because they're fun to drive, but Hyundai makes nothing like that.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

omicron

I could respond to the ridiculous hearsay and rose-tinted speculation made earlier on, but I fear my wrists would get tired. I shall instead resort to childish name-calling.

The new E-class looks like a penis with a Lexus front end.

There, I said it.

Time for a more pleasing distraction:

CALL_911

Quote from: omicron on February 16, 2009, 08:54:24 AM
I could respond to the ridiculous hearsay and rose-tinted speculation made earlier on, but I fear my wrists would get tired. I shall instead resort to childish name-calling.

The new E-class looks like a penis with a Lexus front end.

There, I said it.

Time for a more pleasing distraction:

:wub: :wub:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 03:27:35 PM
So why do you care if Lexus uses it to? Why can't you accept the fact that it was probably just coincidence that Mercedes and Lexus happened to use the design within 2 years of each other?

I can live with that that Lexus choosing a four-eyed headlight design was coincidence. Whatever the reasons, the headlights of the '97 GS and the '96 E-Class were completely different in design.

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 03:27:35 PMBoth brands are following a similar evolution, Lexus just got started a step ahead which is why to some it might look like Mercedes is copying Lexus. I personally don't think that is the case, but regardless the lights look very similar and your knowledge of Mercedes history isn't why you don't see it; rather it is your blatant bias towards Mercedes and against Lexus.

I feel that since I am a Mercedes fan and know a bit about their cars here and there, including design. To me it is clear that the new W212 is a design evolution of the W211 intermixed with W204 and X204 design cues (notably the boxy styling). I can't repeat that enough.

Again, I don't see any similarities with the Lexus GS headlights aside from the fact that both of them use four unconnected headlights upfront.

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 03:27:35 PMI am not a big Lexus fan either, in fact I consider the GS to be the worst car in its class and, more relevant to this conversation, the ugliest as well (at least currently) so don't think I am some Lexus-obsessed weirdo.

:ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: thecarnut on February 15, 2009, 05:33:54 PM
LOL at the MB trolls (Wimmer and Sub) trying to defend the car. The sad part is, if this was made by a non-German brand, Wimmer and Sub would be completely ripping it apart, saying how ugly it is.

Really? There are several Mercedes' which I absolutely cannot stand in terms of design and which I feel should never have been made. The W212 isn't one of them. I like the design because it looks like a W211 that has been mixed with the W204 C-Class and X204 GLK-Class. I've also seen the design up close in Stuttgart, even sat inside it. I've experienced the W212 to a small degree and I liked what I saw.

Quote from: thecarnut on February 15, 2009, 05:33:54 PMSince it's an MB, Wimmer's spreading some BS about how it's evolutionary and Sub is warming up to it.

If you can't see the similarity between the W212 and the W211 (with W204 and X204 design cues) then you really need new glasses. I'm an MB guy and I think I can "talk" about design evolution here because I know a lot about the W210 and W211 etc. I see a design evolution here.

Sadly, people like you still think in terms of "RWD > FWD". That way of thinking died out in the stone age...

Broaden your horizons...

Quote from: thecarnut on February 15, 2009, 05:33:54 PMSeriously guys, your bias of MB is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Bias? More like using FACTS to back up our claims.  :rolleyes:

Saying the headlights of the W212 E-Class look like those of the Lexus GS isn't a fact at all, it's  baseless claim.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: VroomVroom on February 16, 2009, 08:04:31 AM
I agree Chris there is no resemblance at all, apart from the fact of the head lights a separate.

But thats like calling all Chinese men Jackie Chan because they are from the same place with the same colour :banghead:

Thanks for the support.  :ohyeah:

Welcome to 'Spin.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Hachee

Wow.  Late to the party here, but wtf...

You can't argue with the time line on these two cars.  If anything, I'd say Lexus emulated the W210 (is that the code for the 1996-2002 E Class?), and both cars evolved in their own ways.  I think at the time, Lexus was certainly trying to create a Mercedes look for their cars, although this is probably less true today.  But as for the new E-Class, while I seriously doubt MB designers "copied" the current GS, I don't see how you can't see the similarities of the front ends (NOT the sides; totally different).  It's not just that there are 4 separate lights.  It's more the fact that the outer ones are larger, the inners smaller and look set in the metal between the grille and the outer lights. 

I actually like the front of the W212.  My biggest gripe is the overly-wedgey lower character line in the profile.  Next up is the side window profile of the rear doors and the character line which extends from the bottom part of the glass to the edge of the trunk.  While this may be sort of generic, it actually reminds me of the last generation US Honda Accord.  OK, flame me, but if I can figure out how to post pics here, I will. 

I can't say I love the rear.  I know Mercedes has a long history of horizontally themed lights (which I'm glad to see are back), they do have a shape similar to the Sonata's, with the inner part of the lights narrower than the outer parts.  Bu then, I also thought the current Audi A8 had a rear similar to the last generation US Honda Civic. 

Looks are really subjective; I can see disagreements, but I don't see how you guys can argue about what you like and don't like.

TBR

Quote from: Hachee on February 16, 2009, 12:33:28 PM
Looks are really subjective; I can see disagreements, but I don't see how you guys can argue about what you like and don't like.

I don't know either... :huh:

Tave

Quote from: Hachee on February 16, 2009, 12:33:28 PM
If anything, I'd say Lexus emulated the W210 (is that the code for the 1996-2002 E Class?), and both cars evolved in their own ways.  I think at the time, Lexus was certainly trying to create a Mercedes look for their cars, although this is probably less true today.

I'd push it even further back, to the 1990 LS 400. The first gen Lexii :lol: had a real European flair to them, and the 95-2000 were an evolution of that, not Mercedes (well I guess it was a Mercedes influence vis a vis the original LS). The Acura Legend is another example of late-80s/early-90s teutonic design language from a Japanese company.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

YO

They ripped off the 2nd gen Legend and the especially bit off the 1st gen RL... get your stories straigh dammit!!
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

TBR

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 04:06:19 PM
They ripped off the 2nd gen Legend and the especially bit off the 1st gen RL... get your stories straigh dammit!!

Who ripped off the Legend and RL? (not that those were particularly distinctive cars to begin with)

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 04:06:19 PM

The 2nd gen Legend was attractive, sure, but they were only ripped off in your dreams.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

YO

every 5 since that Legend was a rip, and the same with the E and RL... put four round headlamsp on a 96 RL and you have an E... use to drive me crazy...

Quote from: TBR on February 16, 2009, 05:44:07 PM
Who ripped off the Legend and RL? (not that those were particularly distinctive cars to begin with)
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 06:55:11 PM
every 5 since that Legend was a rip, and the same with the E and RL... put four round headlamsp on a 96 RL and you have an E... use to drive me crazy...

Haha, that's cute.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

TBR

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 06:55:11 PM

What now, the E-class and RL came out the same year.    :wtf:

The 5-series and Legend, well they're both conservatively styled but other than that I don't see the similarities.

Of the two I would be more likely to buy a Legend though, looks better, will be more reliable, and drives damn good for a FWD car. It's a shame the GS 6-spd configuration is so rare.

YO

the RL beat it by a few months... I'm talking 96-2004 RL vs 96-current E. And check out every 5 since 1996... simuler lines... puts some kidneys in the Legend Grill....

And holy shit... that GS 6 Speed was the SHEEEEEEEEIT!!!!  I'd personally get the LS coupe but what a car. Those 16"s were ahead of the time... power door assist.. Bose six disc changer... great seats... LED brake lights... woo hoo

GO TEAM GO!

Quote from: TBR on February 16, 2009, 07:38:48 PM

The 5-series and Legend, well they're both conservatively styled but other than that I don't see the similarities.

Of the two I would be more likely to buy a Legend though, looks better, will be more reliable, and drives damn good for a FWD car. It's a shame the GS 6-spd configuration is so rare.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

YO

they both ripped off the BOLD AND DARING 1994 Acura Ingegra GS-R with it's daring a first to the game 4 round headlights!! Yeah baby!

Quote from: VroomVroom on February 16, 2009, 08:01:55 AM
I'd say that side window shape would resemble a BMW on that Lexus :banghead:
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

TBR

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:48:56 PM
the RL beat it by a few months... I'm talking 96-2004 RL vs 96-current E. And check out every 5 since 1996... simuler lines... puts some kidneys in the Legend Grill....

And holy shit... that GS 6 Speed was the SHEEEEEEEEIT!!!!  I'd personally get the LS coupe but what a car. Those 16"s were ahead of the time... power door assist.. Bose six disc changer... great seats... LED brake lights... woo hoo

GO TEAM GO!

You think that Mercedes redesigned the E-class in a couple of months time to replicate the "magnificent" RL?

Sorry, I still don't see any Legend in the 5-series.

YO

no but the timeline gives me some solice...

Quote from: TBR on February 16, 2009, 07:57:17 PM
You think that Mercedes redesigned the E-class in a couple of months time to replicate the "magnificent" RL?

Sorry, I still don't see any Legend in the 5-series.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

CJ

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:50:51 PM
they both ripped off the BOLD AND DARING 1994 Acura Ingegra GS-R with it's daring a first to the game 4 round headlights!! Yeah baby!

We have a 1994 Integra LS.  It's a piece of shit.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

d00d, the 'Teg received mostly universal praise throughout its run. Don't just make shit up to prove a "point."

Submariner

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:50:51 PM

Oh Jesus...do you know what I just noticed?  The 96' BMW 5 series...has alloy wheels...just like the 94 Integra...Oh man they're ripping Acura off from headlamp to tailpipe!

YO

love hurts

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 08:17:46 PM
Oh Jesus...do you know what I just noticed?  The 96' BMW 5 series...has alloy wheels...just like the 94 Integra...Oh man they're ripping Acura off from headlamp to tailpipe!
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

CALL_911

Despite the fact that YO is an idiot, I cannot deny how good the Legend looks. Someone needs to show it to Honda's current design team as a model of how a car should be designed, instead of the angular turds they design today.

The E39 still looks better!!!!!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 10:47:53 PM
Despite the fact that YO is an idiot, I cannot deny how good the Legend looks. Someone needs to show it to Honda's current design team as a model of how a car should be designed, instead of the angular turds they design today.

The E39 still looks better!!!!!

Gotta admit...it does look good.

the Teuton

I would pine over that generation Legend coupe with a 6-speed.

It was just a really good looking car.

I'd take an E39 over it, though, probably.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

The Legend is pretty deceiving. By looking under the hood and at the small front overhang, I could've sworn that it was a RWD car :mask: