***Official Mercedes-Benz W212 Price List / Brochure / Technical Data***

Started by cawimmer430, February 15, 2009, 06:42:15 AM

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 15, 2009, 12:01:04 PM
This is seriously funny.

Look at the motherfucking headlights and tell me they do not look similar. The E-Class' front looks almost exactly like the GS'.

Repeat with the back and the Hyundai Sonata.

Naturally...Lexus ripped the front end straight from the 1996 E-class.  Ever since then, Merc has evolved on that design, as has lexus. 

The front of the E defiantly has cues from the GS, but it only makes sense. 

It's the rear 3/4'ths that shows the greatest difference between the two sedans. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: Submariner on February 15, 2009, 12:05:57 PM
Naturally...Lexus ripped the front end straight from the 1996 E-class.  Ever since then, Merc has evolved on that design, as has lexus. 

The front of the E defiantly has cues from the GS, but it only makes sense. 

It's the rear 3/4'ths that shows the greatest difference between the two sedans. 

No they didn't, we've been over this before, the timing isn't right for them to have borrowed it.

Besides, no reason to get too fussy about it since Mercedes borrowed the look from Jaguar.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 15, 2009, 12:06:17 PM
+1

Wimmer, maybe Lexus beat MB to the "evolution."

Let me put it this way.

The W212 is clearly a design evolution of the W211 E-Class. You agree with that?

Added to this design evolution are overall boxier styling cues from the C-Class and GLK-Class. You agree with that?

The result is this:

An evolutionary design of the W211 E-Class mixed with current MB styling themes.

Lexus had nothing to do with it. Is MB at fault that Lexus decided to style their GS, their convenient E-Class rival, with unconnected quadruple headlights? Lexus did that. We can't change history. So Lexus evolved their GS and it now looks like this:

The only similarity between these two cars is the use of unconnected quadruple headlights upfront. That's it. Design-wise they're not even close. Furthermore it is pretty outrageous to claim that Mercedes "copied" the Lexus GS with the W212. The four-eyed look has been a Mercedes styling theme for the E-Class ever since the W210 was presented to the public. This was further reinforced with the W211. The W212 continues on that tradition. What did you want Mercedes to do? Give the E-Class W204 C-Class headlights? The buying public now associates the Mercedes E-Class with the four-eyed headlight look. Essentially it is something that is expected for the E-Class.

Lexus had nothing to do with it.  :rolleyes:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TBR

QuoteLexus had nothing to do with it.

Which I very specifically said but you chose to ignore.

But, I bet Jaguar had something to do with it.

Submariner

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 12:07:05 PM
No they didn't, we've been over this before, the timing isn't right for them to have borrowed it.

Besides, no reason to get too fussy about it since Mercedes borrowed the look from Jaguar.

It isnt?  The E-class (W210) debuted in what...1995?  The GS came out in 1998.

How is that not enough time.

Laconian

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw these pictures was "Lexus GS". You might say we need glasses, but if most people come off with the impression that MB's new style is derivative, then MB will have a problem on their hands. I'm not making any judgments about the E-class' new styling, I am just noting that market perception is its own reality.

We'll see how this is received by the American automotive press. I predict many of them will draw the same parallels.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 15, 2009, 12:01:04 PM
This is seriously funny.

Look at the motherfucking headlights and tell me they do not look similar. The E-Class' front looks almost exactly like the GS'.

Repeat with the back and the Hyundai Sonata.

Headlights? Yes.

Otherwise, the side detailing and proportions of the E-class are much different.

TBR

Quote from: Submariner on February 15, 2009, 01:09:38 PM

The GS debuted in 1997 for MY1998, that isn't enough time to redesign the front.

They very likely might have been inspired by Jaguar though, just as MB seems to have been.

Sorry, it seems awfully hypocritical to blast Lexus for being a copycat when at worse they copied a design Mercedes copied themselves.

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on February 15, 2009, 01:09:38 PM

Facelifts, colors, materials are finalized YEARS in advance.

2o6

TBR

I don't think anyone is talking about anything other than the headlights.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on February 15, 2009, 01:31:22 PM
We'll see how this is received by the American automotive press. I predict many of them will draw the same parallels.

It's a damn shame if people think in such a narrow minded fashion. The automotive press should do us all a favor and shut the fuck up instead of spreading stupid rumors that people will eventually come to believe.  :tounge:

I personally don't see any similarities between the Lexus GS headlights and those of the E-Class. They're not even the same basic shape. Maybe I see things differently because I know the history behind the E-Classes and see a connection to the W210 and W211 and the design influence from the X204 and W204

But when you have bunch of morons who know shit about cars ranking Lexus behind Porsche and above Mercedes and BMW in terms of prestige then you know the world has gone down the shitter. All of a sudden Lexus is the new design influence on the whole industry! Oh wait, didn't the latest Consumer Reports perception survey indicate that Lexus is a design leader because they produce stunningly sexy cars!?  :rolleyes:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 15, 2009, 03:14:38 PM
It's a damn shame if people think in such a narrow minded fashion. The automotive press should do us all a favor and shut the fuck up instead of spreading stupid rumors that people will eventually come to believe.  :tounge:

I personally don't see any similarities between the Lexus GS headlights and those of the E-Class. They're not even the same basic shape. Maybe I see things differently because I know the history behind the E-Classes and see a connection to the W210 and W211 and the design influence from the X204 and W204

But when you have bunch of morons who know shit about cars ranking Lexus behind Porsche and above Mercedes and BMW in terms of prestige then you know the world has gone down the shitter. All of a sudden Lexus is the new design influence on the whole industry! Oh wait, didn't the latest Consumer Reports perception survey indicate that Lexus is a design leader because they produce stunningly sexy cars!?  :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone was talking about prestige, though. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 12:16:27 PM
Which I very specifically said but you chose to ignore.

Huh? Where?

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 12:16:27 PMBut, I bet Jaguar had something to do with it.

Not this again.

Nowhere in my posts do I claim that MB "invented" the four eyed headlight design. Hell, I bet there were some obscure and barely known automobiles before the Jaguar MK that had quadruple headlights...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on February 15, 2009, 03:17:29 PM
I don't think anyone was talking about prestige, though. 

There was some survey about a year ago where Americans ranked Lexus behind Porsche in terms of "prestige", ahead of Mercedes and BMW.

If you remember I made a big fuss about it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 15, 2009, 03:18:27 PM
Huh? Where?
For the THIRD time:
Quotehey are practically identical! Not saying Benz copied Lexus or vice versa, but the end result is the lights are almost identical.

Nowhere in my posts do I claim that MB "invented" the four eyed headlight design. Hell, I bet there were some obscure and barely known automobiles before the Jaguar MK that had quadruple headlights...

So why do you care if Lexus uses it to? Why can't you accept the fact that it was probably just coincidence that Mercedes and Lexus happened to use the design within 2 years of each other?

Let's look at a time line:
1996- E-class with 4 round headlights
1998- GS with 4 teardrop headlights
2002- E-class with 4 elliptical headlights
2006- GS with 4 rectangularish headlights
2009- E-class with 4 rectangularish headlights

Both brands are following a similar evolution, Lexus just got started a step ahead which is why to some it might look like Mercedes is copying Lexus. I personally don't think that is the case, but regardless the lights look very similar and your knowledge of Mercedes history isn't why you don't see it; rather it is your blatant bias towards Mercedes and against Lexus.

I am not a big Lexus fan either, in fact I consider the GS to be the worst car in its class and, more relevant to this conversation, the ugliest as well (at least currently) so don't think I am some Lexus-obsessed weirdo.

TBR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 15, 2009, 03:19:23 PM
There was some survey about a year ago where Americans ranked Lexus behind Porsche in terms of "prestige", ahead of Mercedes and BMW.

If you remember I made a big fuss about it.

I could see why people would consider Lexus more prestigious, much better dealers and much better reliability. All the history in the world isn't worth much if you're on the side of the road with your cell phone in your hand and pleading with the dealer to come tow your $90,000 6 month old car to get fixed.

Also, by your definition Cadillac would be the most prestigious brand since they developed the control layout now used on every single automobile produced.

Pommes-T

I guess I start to like it, too...  :rastaman:

Oh, and Wims, I would keep your E-class, too. My dad's A6 is more than 10 years old now and it drives like new. There's other ways to spend 50k?...
'00 BMW 523i

Galaxy

I would not go so far as to say X copied Y but a certain resemblence does exist imo.

Galaxy

Anyways about the price list I hate it that so many options can only be ticked if you buy two or three other things. If they are going to to that then they might as well package everything into three or four packages as is already done in America, it will greatly cut logistic costs. To be fair Audi and BMW also went done this road to an extend but the new E class takes this to a whole new level if the online configurator is any indication.

Cookie Monster

LOL at the MB trolls (Wimmer and Sub) trying to defend the car. The sad part is, if this was made by a non-German brand, Wimmer and Sub would be completely ripping it apart, saying how ugly it is.

Since it's an MB, Wimmer's spreading some BS about how it's evolutionary and Sub is warming up to it.

Seriously guys, your bias of MB is ridiculous. :rolleyes:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on February 15, 2009, 05:33:54 PM
Seriously guys, your bias of MB is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

This whole thread is ridiculous. The lights are similar in one basic way - there are 4 of them. The GS's are more bulbous rectangles, while the E's are more cleanly cut rectangles (with the exception being the top of the main lights which are curved) Neither are copied, just an evolution of the previous design.

YO

I LOVE the new E Class... and I'll be driving one in a few months... WOO HOO

GO TEAM GO!
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 15, 2009, 06:28:40 PM
This whole thread is ridiculous. The lights are similar in one basic way - there are 4 of them. The GS's are more bulbous rectangles, while the E's are more cleanly cut rectangles (with the exception being the top of the main lights which are curved) Neither are copied, just an evolution of the previous design.
I'm not saying that it looks like a Lexus. Besides the 4 lights I agree they don't look alike... however, Wimmer and Sub are only liking this car because it's an MB. Put a Lexus badge on there and they'll instantly hate it.

RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Submariner

Quote from: thecarnut on February 15, 2009, 08:19:35 PM
I'm not saying that it looks like a Lexus. Besides the 4 lights I agree they don't look alike... however, Wimmer and Sub are only liking this car because it's an MB. Put a Lexus badge on there and they'll instantly hate it.

Really?

You know that for a fact?

CAN YOU READ MY MIND?!?!?

I'll say it again.  There have been plenty of Recent Mercs I have disliked.  The 2nd gen C-class...The first ML, the first gen SLK, the First Gen CLK...etc etc.  The FACT is that the E-class is an evolution of it's predecessor and I would like it regardless of who made it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Submariner on February 15, 2009, 09:47:46 PM
Really?

You know that for a fact?

CAN YOU READ MY MIND?!?!?

I'll say it again.  There have been plenty of Recent Mercs I have disliked.  The 2nd gen C-class...The first ML, the first gen SLK, the First Gen CLK...etc etc.  The FACT is that the E-class is an evolution of it's predecessor and I would like it regardless of who made it.
I haven't heard you say a SINGLE nice thing about ANY Hyundai... even the Genesis.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

VroomVroom

Quote from: 2o6 on February 15, 2009, 02:08:34 PM

The proportions are much different.

I'd say that side window shape would resemble a BMW on that Lexus :banghead:

VroomVroom

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 15, 2009, 11:56:33 AM
This is getting really old.  :rolleyes:

Where's the resemblance?  :huh:

I agree Chris there is no resemblance at all, apart from the fact of the head lights a separate.

But thats like calling all Chinese men Jackie Chan because they are from the same place with the same colour :banghead: