Va. drivers choose time over money in cheating HOV rules

Started by ifcar, February 16, 2009, 06:41:16 AM

ifcar

QuoteHOV cheaters have a special, and dark, place in the hearts of area commuters.

As motorists sit in stop-and-go traffic or pick up strangers to meet the minimum number of riders to use the free-flowing HOV lanes, cheaters blithely fly by in the restricted lanes. Alone.

"I run the gantlet and hope I don't get caught," said Thomas Edward James, 44, who commutes to the District from Fairfax County on Interstate 66. He has been ticketed seven times.

"It's a cost-benefit sort of decision that you make every morning," he said. "It's partially laziness. I don't feel like getting off and dealing with all those traffic lights."

Besides, the odds are in his favor.

"Let's be honest: I make it most of the time," he said.

The Washington Post, using court records and databases, tracked down the biggest HOV offenders in Virginia, some with as many as 10 violations, and asked them why they ignored the law even after being caught again and again. The answers ranged from guilt-ridden angst to a sense that a quick ride was well worth a roll of the dice. Others lost their driver's licenses, saw their insurance premiums double and received thousands of dollars in tickets.

Continued at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/14/AR2009021401833.html

dazzleman

Sometimes, it's worth trading money for time.  Maybe the fines need to be higher, if this is a widespread problem.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

I've cheated the HOV lane virtually every single day for the last 18 months, and have only been reported once (no ticket however).

I don't feel one iota of guilt. I estimate ~50% of HOV users are soccer moms with kids.

dazzleman

Cougs, how would you react if you did get a ticket for an HOV lane violation? 
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

I'm not exactly sure - probably with casual, smart-Alec indifference along the lines of, "yeah, well, an ain't much given that I've been doing it for 30,000 miles now..."

The irony is that where I'm a frequent violator it is extremely dangerous to pull people over as there isn't much of a shoulder - as if it's worth giving someone such an irrelevant (i.e., non safety) ticket for risking both your lives.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 08:20:01 AM
I'm not exactly sure - probably with casual, smart-Alec indifference along the lines of, "yeah, well, an ain't much given that I've been doing it for 30,000 miles now..."

The irony is that where I'm a frequent violator it is extremely dangerous to pull people over as there isn't much of a shoulder - as if it's worth giving someone such an irrelevant (i.e., non safety) ticket for risking both your lives.

That last point may be the main reason you haven't been ticketed yet.

As for your reaction, that's been my reaction whenever I've been caught speeding.  We don't have HOV lanes around here, so that's not an issue for me.  The closest to here I've seen HOV lanes is on I-91 in the Hartford area, which is over an hour from me.

Eye of the Tiger

It's stupid when the HOV lane is empty and traffic is crawling in the rest of the road. Often, there is also a wide median between the HOV and the rest of the road. WHAT!? All of that empty space could provide two or three more lanes for regular traffic to use! The roads way are too crowded these days for such shenanigans.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dsred

Tave

In Denver the HOV lane is divided from the rest of the highway and closed for most of the day. What a fantastic use of resources. :rolleyes:

In Phoenix, what I'd notice is that you either didn't need the HOV because the roads were clear, or they were packed during rush-hour like all the other lanes, or they were open during rush-hour, but it wouldn't do you any good to use them because you wouldn't be able to get back over to your exit. :loopy:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Quote from: Tave on February 16, 2009, 12:10:41 PM
In Denver the HOV lane is divided from the rest of the highway and closed for most of the day. What a fantastic use of resources. :rolleyes:

In Phoenix, what I'd notice is that you either didn't need the HOV because the roads were clear, or they were packed during rush-hour like all the other lanes, or they were open during rush-hour, but it wouldn't do you any good to use them because you wouldn't be able to get back over to your exit. :loopy:

It's the same with Houston.

It's a ridiculous waste of money, a largely failed attempt at making carpooling look more attractive.

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on February 16, 2009, 10:24:20 AM
It's stupid when the HOV lane is empty and traffic is crawling in the rest of the road. Often, there is also a wide median between the HOV and the rest of the road. WHAT!? All of that empty space could provide two or three more lanes for regular traffic to use! The roads way are too crowded these days for such shenanigans.

If you get rid of the lane campers in the passing lane, the traffic would move a lot faster.  When I used to drive the HOV lane, often times, I would pass people crawling along in the passing lane at speed limit with a mile of gap in front of them.  And of course, the same offenders step on the brakes when going into a sweeping turn which requires zero deceleration what so ever.  So these people are int urn creating a huge traffic jam.  They cost people a lot of time and money and they should be heavily fined and taken off the road.!!!!!!   :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

TurboDan

In New Jersey (on the NJ Turnpike) some areas have HOV lanes, and there is no divider.  You can simply change lanes right into it.  I've actually found myself driving in the HOV lane without even realizing it - it was simply the second-to-left lane and that was the one I was driving in.

In NYC (on the BQE) they have the worst system I've ever seen.  While there is no divider, the lane is actually CLOSED TO TRAFFIC except during the AM/PM rush hours.  During the rest of the day, for no reason at all, they just say nobody can drive in a perfectly useful lane.

As far as purposeful violations, I can remember one time (coincidentally, in Maryland) when I did it.  I sat in traffic literally for an hour, hardly moving, and the HOV lane was empty.  I couldn't take it any more.  My car was beginning to get hot, I was absolutely losing my mind and I pulled out into the HOV lane and got to my destination without a ticket.  Had the fine been say $50, it would've been completely worth it.

NomisR

Quote from: TurboDan on February 16, 2009, 04:03:09 PM
In New Jersey (on the NJ Turnpike) some areas have HOV lanes, and there is no divider.  You can simply change lanes right into it.  I've actually found myself driving in the HOV lane without even realizing it - it was simply the second-to-left lane and that was the one I was driving in.

In NYC (on the BQE) they have the worst system I've ever seen.  While there is no divider, the lane is actually CLOSED TO TRAFFIC except during the AM/PM rush hours.  During the rest of the day, for no reason at all, they just say nobody can drive in a perfectly useful lane.

As far as purposeful violations, I can remember one time (coincidentally, in Maryland) when I did it.  I sat in traffic literally for an hour, hardly moving, and the HOV lane was empty.  I couldn't take it any more.  My car was beginning to get hot, I was absolutely losing my mind and I pulled out into the HOV lane and got to my destination without a ticket.  Had the fine been say $50, it would've been completely worth it.

California fine is $273 for Carpool violations.  And goes up from there.  In Nor Cal, the Carpool lanes are just dotted lines that are only carpool lanes in rush hour, but during regular hours and weekend, they're just a regular lane.  In So Cal, they're all divided by double solid yellow line which makes it really annoying. 

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on February 16, 2009, 08:51:42 AM

As for your reaction, that's been my reaction whenever I've been caught speeding.  We don't have HOV lanes around here, so that's not an issue for me.  The closest to here I've seen HOV lanes is on I-91 in the Hartford area, which is over an hour from me.

Sounds to me like the fine for both offenses could stand to be raised significantly. 

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on February 16, 2009, 08:51:42 AM

LEOs periodically have people pulled over however in this, just itching to cause a major wreck.

HOV lanes are immoral.

MX793

I wish all interstates were 6 lane (3 in each direction) and the leftmost lane was off limits to semis.  I'm so sick of being stuck behind a semi pulling tandems going 65.5 mph while passing one or more other semis pulling tandems travelling 65 mph.  Causes a huge traffic blockage to boot.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on February 17, 2009, 07:39:18 PM
I wish all interstates were 6 lane (3 in each direction) and the leftmost lane was off limits to semis.  I'm so sick of being stuck behind a semi pulling tandems going 65.5 mph while passing one or more other semis pulling tandems travelling 65 mph.  Causes a huge traffic blockage to boot.

That's how the interstates are in Atlanta.

S204STi

Ditto.  Big problem on I25.

Vinsanity

I've seen cops pull over solo drivers in the carpool lane from time to time, which is enough to keep me away from it. Except when some asshole's poking along in the passing lane doing the speed limit or slower. That, I have no patience for, so I use the carpool lane to whip around him.

NomisR

6 lanes?  That's too small.. we get congestion on our 12-14 lane (I think certain portions of the 405 gets up to 7 lanes on each side.) freeways with semis only limited to the 2 left most lanes.  We need an anti lane camper law..

Soup DeVille

The left lane is off limits to semis, except when passing. The problem is the governers on these trucks. That rig has all the power it needs to do the pass in a decent amount of time, but its probably bouncing off of the governer the entire time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

rohan

In my opinion the problem is the companies making these guys go as fast as they can as part of their jobs- but then governning their rigs and still keeping that demands. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on February 20, 2009, 06:34:44 PM
In my opinion the problem is the companies making these guys go as fast as they can as part of their jobs- but then governning their rigs and still keeping that demands. 

Yep. Go faster, drive longer, get paid more.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2009, 05:02:31 PM
The left lane is off limits to semis, except when passing. The problem is the governers on these trucks. That rig has all the power it needs to do the pass in a decent amount of time, but its probably bouncing off of the governer the entire time.

I realize they're governed and that why they are taking so damned long to pass, problem is, they're holding everybody else up during rush hour so they don't have to slow down by a mph or less.  I (and others) have to slow down by 10 mph so they don't have to slow down by 1.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: rohan on February 20, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

All the company cares about is that the load arrives on time and in one piece (and that their equipment doesn't get wrecked).  They limit the speeds to reduce fuel costs and tire wear (plus tickets, which can cost the company money since they are paying the insurance).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2009, 05:37:53 PM
All the company cares about is that the load arrives on time and in one piece (and that their equipment doesn't get wrecked).  They limit the speeds to reduce fuel costs and tire wear (plus tickets, which can cost the company money since they are paying the insurance).

They limit the speeds because they get a huge break on insurance costs when they do, with or without tickets.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on February 17, 2009, 12:07:48 PM
LEOs periodically have people pulled over however in this, just itching to cause a major wreck.

HOV lanes are immoral.

Ha!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on February 17, 2009, 12:07:48 PM

HOV lanes are immoral.

Blame the dumbasses they pulled over because almost every state out there has some form of "pull immediately to the far right and stop" law out there.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on February 17, 2009, 10:53:42 AM
California fine is $273 for Carpool violations.  And goes up from there.  In Nor Cal, the Carpool lanes are just dotted lines that are only carpool lanes in rush hour, but during regular hours and weekend, they're just a regular lane.  In So Cal, they're all divided by double solid yellow line which makes it really annoying. 

The good thing about California is that you can split lanes if you ride a motorcycle. That makes the HOV problem irrelevant because I would never drive a car if I lived there.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)