Which mod should I do?

Started by SVT666, February 16, 2009, 12:55:38 PM

Getting my tax return and I want to perform a mod to the SVT Focus.  Which one should I do?

Adjustable Short Throw Shifter and Urethane Lower Engine Mount
4 (30.8%)
Strut and Shock Tower Braces
0 (0%)
Larger Anti-Roll Bars
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on February 16, 2009, 02:29:02 PM
If you live in the mountains, a judicious set of roll bars will go further than the negligible improvements from a motor mount or chassis bracing.  Get the roll bars.

+1

you won't want a solid motor mount and its harshness for a daily driver
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on February 16, 2009, 04:08:55 PM
Harsher ride. Have to search for rattles more these days. I can't live with them at all. I got high quality parts from people like FlyingMiata and Racing Beat, but they still don't fit as well as stock. And it handles better but not to the point that it was worth it. It's not like I'm on a race track driving to work every day. And it's not like it didn't drive really well before in the first place. And I'm getting old and things hurt more then they did in the past.

Now if I had a car that's job was that of only a toy then it would be different.

Harsh ride is a painful one.. that's why you get adjustable suspension.  But then again.. I'm getting tired of having to set my suspension up everytime I get on and off the track... so I've been leaving it on track setup.. harsh....

Cookie Monster

Antiroll bars. Make sure to get a huge on in the back so you can dorifto.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2009, 05:13:20 PM
+1

you won't want a solid motor mount and its harshness for a daily driver
If you only replace the rear mount and leave the other two stock, there is a barely noticeable increase in the vibrations.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 16, 2009, 05:12:49 PM
...and a sub.  A new sub would be cool.

My friend who had the SVT made a nice sub box that fit behind the rear seat-back and faced the hatch. Just one, I think 10". To this day, it might be the best sounding sub I have ever heard. I need to find out what his secret was.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 16, 2009, 05:24:29 PM
If you only replace the rear mount and leave the other two stock, there is a barely noticeable increase in the vibrations.

Yeah, don't listen to Mr. ROtary, he doesn't know anything about vibrations. :evildude:

sandertheshark

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on February 16, 2009, 04:08:55 PM
Harsher ride. Have to search for rattles more these days. I can't live with them at all. I got high quality parts from people like FlyingMiata and Racing Beat, but they still don't fit as well as stock. And it handles better but not to the point that it was worth it. It's not like I'm on a race track driving to work every day. And it's not like it didn't drive really well before in the first place. And I'm getting old and things hurt more then they did in the past.

Now if I had a car that's job was that of only a toy then it would be different.

That's why I'm never doing springs/struts, and that's why I took my aftermarket exhaust off.  I can't live with a harsh and loud DD, no matter how many pics ChrisV posts of his exhaust system.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 16, 2009, 03:16:23 PM
Engine mounts make such a huge difference in handling & shift quality. I'd go with those

On what planet? ...

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on February 16, 2009, 09:04:07 PM
That's why I'm never doing springs/struts, and that's why I took my aftermarket exhaust off.  I can't live with a harsh and loud DD, no matter how many pics ChrisV posts of his exhaust system.

Yer just not committed enough.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on February 16, 2009, 09:04:07 PM
If you actually had the knowledge and experience to form such an opinion...you wouldn't form it.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 16, 2009, 09:25:18 PM
If you actually had the knowledge and experience to form such an opinion...you wouldn't form it.

lmao, that's about the dumbest thing you've said in a while.  Nah, I don't happen to drive 30 different cars a week or actually had the loud exhausts or anything like that.  I have a pretty good feel for what I prefer in a daily driver, thank you very much Smart Guy. Slobbering retardation...

Onslaught

I'm not sure. But I think he was being sarcastic. Kind of making fun of someone we all know.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on February 16, 2009, 09:29:47 PM
lmao, that's about the dumbest thing you've said in a while.  Nah, I don't happen to drive 30 different cars a week or actually had the loud exhausts or anything like that.  I have a pretty good feel for what I prefer in a daily driver, thank you very much Smart Guy.

Give your sarcasm detector a smack.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

I have a bad attitude about swaybars right now - roads around Albany, NY are crappy in general, and horrifically bad right now due to all the potholes and such associated with the tail end of winter.  Swaybars are not making my commute enjoyable over that crap.

I've not driven an SVT, so I don't know what needs improvement on the car, but I'd be interested in the engine mount and shifter upgrade. 

Subwoofer sounds good too, though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

I have removed both sway bars from the Swift for better rally traction.  :devil:

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on February 16, 2009, 10:14:11 PM
I have removed both sway bars from the Swift for better rally traction.  :devil:

I'm considering ditching them on my car, roads here are freakin' ridiculous.  And I didn't know that Swifts had sway bars.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on February 16, 2009, 10:16:20 PM
I'm considering ditching them on my car, roads here are freakin' ridiculous.  And I didn't know that Swifts had sway bars.

You can try disconnecting the end links on one or both sides of each bar.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on February 16, 2009, 10:14:11 PM

You have a rear bar?  My $15k (when new) Subie didn't have a rear sway bar and your $8.5k (when new) Metro did?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 16, 2009, 10:24:32 PM
You have a rear bar?  My $15k (when new) Subie didn't have a rear sway bar and your $8.5k (when new) Metro did?

My SWIFT had a front and rear bar, yes. It is a race car.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on February 16, 2009, 10:26:45 PM
My SWIFT had a front and rear bar, yes. It is a race car.

How big?  My front is 19 mm and the optional rear (with the LS package) was 13 mm.

Your Metro must've had a 12 mm front or something.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 16, 2009, 10:28:37 PM
How big?  My front is 19 mm and the optional rear (with the LS package) was 13 mm.

Your Swift must've had a 12 mm front or something.

I don't know, and it is irrelevant now.

the Teuton

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 16, 2009, 10:31:21 PM
You swiftly forgot?

I never knew, nor did I care. They are no good for rally.

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 16, 2009, 05:24:29 PM

if your only replacing 1 of 3 motor mounts, its not going to do shit no matter what the ric0rs claim
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on February 16, 2009, 09:48:30 PM
I'm not sure. But I think he was being sarcastic. Kind of making fun of someone we all know.

D'oh!

Sorry for biting your head off Hemi. :(  I should probably not post after 9pm lol... my sarcasm detector is already junk as it is, being tired and grumpy doesn't help lol.

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on February 17, 2009, 06:41:08 AM
if your only replacing 1 of 3 motor mounts, its not going to do shit no matter what the ric0rs claim
Every single SVT Focus owner who has done it over at Focus Fanatics and SVTOA would disagree with you.  With the urethane rear motor mount the engine is noticeably more responsive and the shifting is crisper.

S204STi

I could imagine the shifting improving because you are removing some movement relative to the firewall (and the shifter).  I could also imagine some improvement in response because you are keeping the engine from rocking towards the firewall, so that movement is instead sent to the drivetrain and wheels.

Give it a shot; it has to be the least expensive and most easily reversed of your modifications.  If you don't like it I bet someone else will buy it off you.

Nethead

If you are gonna build a really fast car and then drive it that way, always start with the body/frame--of which the engine & transmission mounts are a critical part.  They really can't be too solid.  The only issue is the amount of compromise you're willing to accept for reasons of ride or NVH.  Get Larry Holt of Multimatic on the phone and ask for his recommendation.  Those will be minutes well spent!
So many stairs...so little time...