Insanely Bad Ideas.

Started by Soup DeVille, February 22, 2009, 06:29:13 PM

sportyaccordy

Wait... is that a muffler? For the intake manifold? Maybe this guy knows something we all don't...???

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 24, 2009, 09:24:00 PM
Wait... is that a muffler? For the intake manifold? Maybe this guy knows something we all don't...???

It's a Flowmaster, I believe. This guy is a real true genius.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on February 24, 2009, 09:26:15 PM
It's a Flowmaster, I believe. This guy is a real true genius.
Real MAN of genius

Nethead

Quote from: NACar on February 22, 2009, 07:02:11 PM
I don't know what's worse: rebuilding a stock Swift engine, wanting to put a light pressure turbo on it, or wanting to take it completely out to put in a 3.0L Vulcan V6 from a Taurus.

A bad idea may have been the 1979 Pontiac LeMans, which caught on fire when the PO was starting the engine to show me how it ran... I bought it anyway.

I do want to get a turbo diesel (Duramax?) out of some wrecked late-model HD pickup, soup it up reeeel nice so it makes about 1000 hp, then drop it in some old boat like a 70's T-bird, Cordoba, Polara, Monte Carlo, etc... whatever works. There is no point to this at all except to beat up on ricers in Supras who think they got the hottest shit around. I do not think this is a bad idea, actually.

NACar:  NahDude, once you've sobered up, gotten over the hang-over, and gargled in kerosene to get the livestock out of your mouth, you'll think differently...
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT_Power

well i wouldn't say this was an INSANELY bad idea, but definitely wasn't a good one...

guess what idea i'm talking about  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on February 25, 2009, 08:37:21 AM
well i wouldn't say this was an INSANELY bad idea, but definitely wasn't a good one...

Buying an SVT Contour?

When are you replacing that damn engine?  It's been sitting there for over a year now.

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 25, 2009, 08:41:45 AM
Buying an SVT Contour?

When are you replacing that damn engine?  It's been sitting there for over a year now.

As of right now, the car may be getting an engine in sometime between March 18-22nd. Free labour, free garage. Just have to make sure the garage is going to be available to me on those days.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on February 25, 2009, 08:43:44 AM
As of right now, the car may be getting an engine in sometime between March 18-22nd. Free labour, free garage. Just have to make sure the garage is going to be available to me on those days.
Are you putting an SVT motor in it?

SVT_Power

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Payman on February 24, 2009, 05:08:04 PM
I was looking for the pic of the car that was ingeniously lowered by cutting out the strut mounts, and then badly welding in metal blocks... but I did find this gem:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Is the muffler for the INTAKE or the EXHAUST??
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 25, 2009, 05:51:46 PM
Is the muffler for the INTAKE or the EXHAUST??
Both, from the looks of it :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

??
Isn't a turbo spun by the exhaust? it looks like there is a Different Ghetto fabricated intake coming out of the firewall.. 
Will

Eye of the Tiger

The muffler is sitting on top of the carburetor, and is clearly getting fed pressurized intake air from the turbo. I'd guess they cut a hole in the bottom to fit it to the top of the carburetor. With the other side plugged off, the muffler probably makes a better pressure hat than the stock air filter housing.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 25, 2009, 06:19:44 PM
??
Isn't a turbo spun by the exhaust? it looks like there is a Different Ghetto fabricated intake coming out of the firewall.. 
It looks like the turbo is getting spun by a connection to the exhaust manifold on the left bank.  The muffler sitting on top of the intake, as NACar suggested, likely has a hole cut in the bottom to pressurize the intake; with excess exhaust going through the muffler exit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Quote from: M_power on February 25, 2009, 08:37:21 AM

I can't believe you still have that car...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 25, 2009, 06:31:49 PM
It looks like the turbo is getting spun by a connection to the exhaust manifold on the left bank.  The muffler sitting on top of the intake, as NACar suggested, likely has a hole cut in the bottom to pressurize the intake; with excess exhaust going through the muffler exit.

No, there is no exhaust passing through that muffler.  The end of the turbo which it is attached to is the compressor outlet.

AutobahnSHO

Will