Should you "aim"...screw it, has turned into the cyclist and cager thread

Started by JWC, February 22, 2009, 07:16:13 PM

JWC

Mass:You may ride your bicycle on any public road, street, or bikeway in the Commonwealth, except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting bikes have been posted.

NC:In North Carolina, the bicycle has the legal status of a vehicle. This means that bicyclists have full rights and responsibilities on the roadway and are subject to the regulations governing the operation of a motor vehicle.

California: Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this division, including, but not limited to, provisions concerning driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs

PA: In Pennsylvania, a bicycle is considered a vehicle and, as such, is governed by a general set of rules (common to all vehicles) and a specific set of rules (designed for bicycles).

It continues on...but you get the picture.

The "designed for bicycles" exception applies to helmets, letting people ride on your bike etc.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 08:57:16 PM
Mass:You may ride your bicycle on any public road, street, or bikeway in the Commonwealth, except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting bikes have been posted.

NC:In North Carolina, the bicycle has the legal status of a vehicle. This means that bicyclists have full rights and responsibilities on the roadway and are subject to the regulations governing the operation of a motor vehicle.

California: Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this division, including, but not limited to, provisions concerning driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs

PA: In Pennsylvania, a bicycle is considered a vehicle and, as such, is governed by a general set of rules (common to all vehicles) and a specific set of rules (designed for bicycles).

It continues on...but you get the picture.

The "designed for bicycles" exception applies to helmets, letting people ride on your bike etc.

Show me a person who has had his bicycle towed for lacking turn signals in NC, and I'll agree with you.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JWC

We don't tow cars for lack of turn signals.  Turn signals have to be operational...and like automobiles, bike riders are LEGALLY required to signal before turning.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 09:02:44 PM
We don't tow cars for lack of turn signals.  Turn signals have to be operational...and like automobiles, bike riders are LEGALLY required to signal before turning.

The fuck you don't. But, that's another story entirely.

If a car and a bicycle get in a collision: when the cop shows up, who's getting the evil eye? Who's getting the ride to the hospital in the magic white van?

Like it or not, cyclists can and do get away with a lot more than motorists do; they are not treated equally by the law or under the law.

I am fully behind you on supporting the rights that cyclists do have and wanting more people to know what the rules are and act accordingly; but you know what?

Well, of course you do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 06:21:52 PM
You probably wouldn't think it a good idea if you realized that some cyclists carry "devices" for taking care of arrogant car drivers.

And it's statements like this that make me hate cyclists even more.  The sheer idiocy of a cyclist thinking that he can go up against a car and come out on top trumps the arrogance of any driver on the road.

Quote from: Psilos on March 06, 2009, 06:42:30 PM
Seriously. I don't have any reservations about smacking a car with possible dent force that cuts me off, etc. Most drivers just think they hit me, which is shock enough for them.

And then one of these days, you're going to end up either panicking someone too much and they'll make an abrupt movement that makes cutting you off seem completely innocuous.  Or, you'll dent the car of the wrong person who will intentionally make cutting you off seem playful.  And you'll entirely deserve what you get. 

Quote from: Psilos on March 06, 2009, 07:58:49 PM
Fuck etiquette. Cars don't do bikes any favors.

Yet you wonder why people go on rants against fucking holier-than-thou cyclists.

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2009, 08:00:21 PM
Exactly.  I'm a biker and I ride on the side of the road quite often.  If there're cars coming...forget the fact that I'm a legal resident of the road I'm on...I'm moving the fuck over.  A) Pissed drivers are in control of 3000+ pound pieces of machinery, B) why would I want to piss anyone off?, and C) It's my fucking life on the line.  I'll be nice and move the fuck over so I don't get hit.

That's the first sensible thing I've seen from a cyclist in a long, long time.

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 08:12:40 PM
Which increases the belief among car drivers that THEY own the road. 

We do.  We pay registration for our vehicles.  We pay licensing fees.  We pay taxes to run our cars.  When cyclists do all that, then I'll gladly share the road. 

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 08:32:59 PM
When I'm driving a car, I get more pissed at bike riders who are not following the rules.  I pulled up to an intersection a couple of weeks ago, green light and I was making a left.  I bike rider was coming from the opposite direction.  I stopped, turn signal flashing, and waited for him to go through the intersection.  Instead, asshole stops.  He had no idea he had the right of way.  If I pull out and he takes off resulting in me hitting him, I making the illegal move.  I gave up on trying to wave him through and risked it. 

More evidence that bikes used on roads and their riders should be subject to the same licensing process that drivers go through.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I just did 20 laps around my kitchen on my bicycle, and I almost got hit by a car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: NACar on March 13, 2009, 03:07:05 PM
I just did 20 laps around my kitchen on my bicycle, and I almost got hit by a car.

Stop parking your Metro in your kitchen then!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1018413#msg1018413 date=1236978878
Stop parking your Metro in your kitchen then!

I don't even have a Metro.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 03:04:43 PM
[...]

And then one of these days, you're going to end up either panicking someone too much and they'll make an abrupt movement that makes cutting you off seem completely innocuous.  Or, you'll dent the car of the wrong person who will intentionally make cutting you off seem playful.  And you'll entirely deserve what you get. 

[...]

If they cut me off already, there's not much more they can do, other than throw it into reverse. ;)

And I can handle myself, unless they've got a gun, in which case, I'm fucked. I'll take my chances.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

What I don't get is what is so hard about giving some courtesy to cyclists.  It's not like every one of them on the road is out to piss the rest of you guys off.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on March 13, 2009, 06:38:29 PM
What I don't get is what is so hard about giving some courtesy to cyclists.  It's not like every one of them on the road is out to piss the rest of you guys off.

And it will cost a car driver what, 1-2 seconds of their busy day ???
Will

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on March 13, 2009, 06:22:13 PM
If they cut me off already, there's not much more they can do, other than throw it into reverse. ;)

And I can handle myself, unless they've got a gun, in which case, I'm fucked. I'll take my chances.

They have a car...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Maybe not every cyclist...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1019726#msg1019726 date=1237162615
They have a car...

I can go places a car can't.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on March 15, 2009, 09:57:55 PM
I can go places a car can't.

Yeah.  No one can get out of a car.  Once you get in it, you're chemically bonded forever, unless you need to leave to pollute or something.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1020122#msg1020122 date=1237176561
Yeah.  No one can get out of a car.  Once you get in it, you're chemically bonded forever, unless you need to leave to pollute or something.

Quote from: Psilos on March 13, 2009, 06:22:13 PM
[...]

So, to sum it all up, I can outrun a guy on foot, out-maneuver a car, and if all that fails, I can take care of myself.

giant_mtb

The way I ride, people are courteous to me.  Probably because they think I'm being courteous to them by giving them the space I think I deserve.  Most people that pass me in their cars move over partially into the next lane...and I ride the outside of the shoulder.  Give and you shall receive. :huh:

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 16, 2009, 05:16:52 AM
The way I ride, people are courteous to me.  Probably because they think I'm being courteous to them by giving them the space I think I deserve.  Most people that pass me in their cars move over partially into the next lane...and I ride the outside of the shoulder.  Give and you shall receive. :huh:

So you think that it's discourteous to be on the shoulder but not 10 feet over from the white line?

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 16, 2009, 10:50:12 AM
So you think that it's discourteous to be on the shoulder but not 10 feet over from the white line?

I think it's discourteous to ride the white line whilst there are cars passing by in both directions.  ...as I've said a few times before in this god forsaken thread.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on March 16, 2009, 12:05:31 AM
So, to sum it all up, I can outrun a guy on foot, out-maneuver a car, and if all that fails, I can take care of myself.

Okay.  And if aliens come for you, I'm sure you'll just activate your wings and fly away.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 16, 2009, 05:16:52 AM

If people all think like this, the world will be a better place.  It's it's all about me, me, me!  Plus, majority of the cyclists don't follow the traffic rules anyways. 

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 16, 2009, 11:37:25 AM
I think it's discourteous to ride the white line whilst there are cars passing by in both directions.  ...as I've said a few times before in this god forsaken thread.

I think it's discourteous of automobile operators to expect a cyclist to GTFO of the way just because he has more mass, even though the cyclist has every right to be there.

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 16, 2009, 03:51:05 PM
I think it's discourteous of automobile operators to expect a cyclist to GTFO of the way just because he has more mass, even though the cyclist has every right to be there.

Is there not a minimum speed that a vehicle is allowed to travel on a given road?  If so, I would suspect that a cyclist has NO right obstructing traffic on a 55-MPH highway.

:wtf:

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 16, 2009, 04:06:32 PM
Is there not a minimum speed that a vehicle is allowed to travel on a given road?  If so, I would suspect that a cyclist has NO right obstructing traffic on a 55-MPH highway.

:wtf:

Depends.  The highway that ran through my home town had a speed limit of up to 65 in parts, and cyclists could be found on it on occasion.

Shit, when I was more hard core my personal benchmark ride was on the same highway during an 8 mile climb.  On the way down I outran cars in parts.

And you know what?  People actually moved over and didn't shout or throw shit at them and generally act upset about it!

NomisR

Quote from: R-inge on March 16, 2009, 04:32:53 PM
Depends.  The highway that ran through my home town had a speed limit of up to 65 in parts, and cyclists could be found on it on occasion.

Shit, when I was more hard core my personal benchmark ride was on the same highway during an 8 mile climb.  On the way down I outran cars in parts.

And you know what?  People actually moved over and didn't shout or throw shit at them and generally act upset about it!

I get pissed at both cars and cyclists equally for holding me up.  You stay out of my way, and I stay out of your way, you're happy, I'm happy. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 16, 2009, 04:32:53 PM

I give up.  You're one of the roadie douche bags that holds up traffic.  I'm one of the realistic, I-want-to-keep-my-life-so-I'm-sensible bikers. 

:huh:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 16, 2009, 06:09:07 PM
I give up.  You're one of the roadie douche bags that holds up traffic.  I'm one of the realistic, I-want-to-keep-my-life-so-I'm-sensible bikers. 

:huh:
I also stay as far to the right as I can, although I hate biking between parked cars and the cars in the right lane.

My biggest fear, though, is someone not paying attention in one of the parallel parked cars and they just randomly open their driver door. It always scares me so I try to look into the cars to make sure they're empty while I bike past.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2009, 06:35:23 PM
I also stay as far to the right as I can, although I hate biking between parked cars and the cars in the right lane.

My biggest fear, though, is someone not paying attention in one of the parallel parked cars and they just randomly open their driver door. It always scares me so I try to look into the cars to make sure they're empty while I bike past.

That's exactly your responsibility.  You do that when you're in a car, don't you?  Being on a bike makes it no different. :huh: