Should you "aim"...screw it, has turned into the cyclist and cager thread

Started by JWC, February 22, 2009, 07:16:13 PM

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: JWC on February 25, 2009, 06:11:28 PM
For all intents and purposes, some routes, such as hill rides--curved rural routes--etc, should be closed to cycling two Sundays per month...meaning they would be closed to cagers the other two Sundays.

State law, whether you like it or not, determines that bicycles (or in the case of PA--"pedacycles"),are vehicles just like cars, trucks, and motorcycles.  It is up to both cagers and cyclists to respect each other's  rights on the roads.   On the bike forums I visit, a cyclist just got a $250.00 ticket in Florida for running a stop sign.   This happens more than you may realize.  Seeing someone on a bike disregard road laws and decide that cyclists, as a group, fail to obey laws.  The guys you meet "taking" up to roads are riding according to the law...unless they are three abreast...most states do not allow that. 

Bike lanes, have proven to be as unsafe as as riding on sidewalks.  Reason being, car drivers tend to disregard riders in bike lanes and right hook them.  Why ride the middle of the lane?  Because, it discourages idiot car drivers from trying to squeeze 2 tons of metal between a rider and a car coming in the opposing lane.  When I ride, I ride the middle of the lane, when a car approaches from the rear, I move right as he passes, making sure that the required three feet of clearance is maintained. If another car is approaching from the opposite direction, I will not move to prevent the car behind me from trying something stupid.  Hell, you might say I'm doing the car driver a favor, because state law requires that the car driver maintain that amount of space and by action insures they do not get ticketed.

I"m all for cycling education, as I stated previously.  Casual riders are the ones dying in large numbers.  They ride against traffic, fail to obey the rules of the road,  and ride sidewalks and hit cars pulling out of driveways.  Unfortunately, the casual rider, the weekender, sees him/her self as a pedestrian instead of a vehicle and will ride a bike as if they are walking their dog.

BTW, the guy who got ticketed (see above) didn't have ID on him.  He had to provide name, address and fingerprints.

As I recall, they were riding four or even five across the lane, and refused to move over.  And these were as far from "casual" as you an get. 

And I never have good dealings with cyclists.  They're always acting like I'm intruding on their road, and not the other way around.

I even had a cyclist on another forum threaten me, should I attempt to angrily pass him when he's on the road.  I pointed out the fact that a 180 pound man with a helmet and Spandex wouldn't stand much a chance against 3000 pounds of metal, and all of a sudden I was the bad guy.

John, you may be the most responsible cyclist out there.  But the rest of your people don't belong on the road.

And like I said, if they want to be considered the same way as other motor vehicles, there should be a licensing process. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

Technically, there is a licensing process.  As in the guy who got the ticket for running the stop sign.  If a bicycle was not considered a road vehicle, the police officer couldn't have done anything to him.   

There are some a-holes out there and they have their own organization, Critical Mass.  Google it.  I hate CM riders and their attitudes.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2009, 11:19:15 AM
As I recall, they were riding four or even five across the lane, and refused to move over.  And these were as far from "casual" as you an get. 

And I never have good dealings with cyclists.  They're always acting like I'm intruding on their road, and not the other way around.

I even had a cyclist on another forum threaten me, should I attempt to angrily pass him when he's on the road.  I pointed out the fact that a 180 pound man with a helmet and Spandex wouldn't stand much a chance against 3000 pounds of metal, and all of a sudden I was the bad guy.

John, you may be the most responsible cyclist out there.  But the rest of your people don't belong on the road.

And like I said, if they want to be considered the same way as other motor vehicles, there should be a licensing process. 
I've had people in cars yell at me for riding on the side of the road too. :huh:

And the number of careless drivers far outweighs the number of careless cyclists (because there are so many more drivers, but still). I've been almost hit many times by idiot drivers going way too fast, weaving in and out of the bike lane.

You can hate on irresponsible cyclists but it's kind of hypocritical when there are so many more idiotic, irresponsible drivers.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: thecarnut on February 26, 2009, 01:41:36 PM
I've had people in cars yell at me for riding on the side of the road too. :huh:

And the number of careless drivers far outweighs the number of careless cyclists (because there are so many more drivers, but still). I've been almost hit many times by idiot drivers going way too fast, weaving in and out of the bike lane.

You can hate on irresponsible cyclists but it's kind of hypocritical when there are so many more idiotic, irresponsible drivers.

# wise, yes, you'll probably have a lot more irresponsible drivers than cyclists.  But % wise, I think it's a wash. 

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

JWC

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2009, 11:19:15 AM

My experience is the opposite, but maybe it is the area I'm in.  Pickup trucks tend to buzz me...almost all have big tires and lift kits.  I did have some woman cut me off during a left hand turn.  I took the lane, gave a hand signal for the turn and she drove around me, passing me on a double yellow and an intersection.  All because she "owned" the road as a car driver.  Bitch probably didn't expect me to chase her down.  Same with the old guy who almost ran over me trying to pass, same exact scenario, but different intersection.  He managed to brake just before he ran me over.   That was the last time I road without a mirror.  It was unfortunate for him also that we were in a twenty-five mph area.  I was on my road bike and pulled up beside him and told him to roll his window down, then told him what I thought of his driving skills.

They have an organization for you too Raza, it is called RTS, Retake the Streets, if I remember right.  It is the same as Critical Mass, but for car drivers.  They take over the streets proclaiming their ownership of roads over cyclists and pedestrians. I think they proclaim the automobile another step of the evolutionary ladder.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote from: JWC on February 25, 2009, 06:11:28 PM
For all intents and purposes, some routes, such as hill rides--curved rural routes--etc, should be closed to cycling two Sundays per month...meaning they would be closed to cagers the other two Sundays.

State law, whether you like it or not, determines that bicycles (or in the case of PA--"pedacycles"),are vehicles just like cars, trucks, and motorcycles.  It is up to both cagers and cyclists to respect each other's  rights on the roads.   On the bike forums I visit, a cyclist just got a $250.00 ticket in Florida for running a stop sign.   This happens more than you may realize.  Seeing someone on a bike disregard road laws and decide that cyclists, as a group, fail to obey laws.  The guys you meet "taking" up to roads are riding according to the law...unless they are three abreast...most states do not allow that. 

Bike lanes, have proven to be as unsafe as as riding on sidewalks.  Reason being, car drivers tend to disregard riders in bike lanes and right hook them.  Why ride the middle of the lane?  Because, it discourages idiot car drivers from trying to squeeze 2 tons of metal between a rider and a car coming in the opposing lane.  When I ride, I ride the middle of the lane, when a car approaches from the rear, I move right as he passes, making sure that the required three feet of clearance is maintained. If another car is approaching from the opposite direction, I will not move to prevent the car behind me from trying something stupid.  Hell, you might say I'm doing the car driver a favor, because state law requires that the car driver maintain that amount of space and by action insures they do not get ticketed.

I"m all for cycling education, as I stated previously.  Casual riders are the ones dying in large numbers.  They ride against traffic, fail to obey the rules of the road,  and ride sidewalks and hit cars pulling out of driveways.  Unfortunately, the casual rider, the weekender, sees him/her self as a pedestrian instead of a vehicle and will ride a bike as if they are walking their dog.

BTW, the guy who got ticketed (see above) didn't have ID on him.  He had to provide name, address and fingerprints.

Seems to me there are too many bicyclists around there who think they have the benefits of both vehicles and pedestrians.  They claim their right to the roadway as a vehicle, but seem to think they have the undisputed right-of-way of a pedestrian when it comes to traffic signals and stop signs.  I was driving down the road last year and saw a bicyclist (looked like a fairly serious cyclist, not some Joe on a bike) blow right through a redlight at a blind intersection in front of me.  By blind I mean there are trees and houses in the way such that you don't see another vehicle crossing the intersection until it is actually in the intersection.  Had I been a few seconds further down the road than I was, I would have had to slam on the brakes to miss them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

No one will deny that there are stupid cyclists. But bikes aren't cars, and some of the rules that apply to cars don't fit bikes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

I can think of one time when a frontal accident would have been much worse. I'm pretty sure I've told the story here so I'll just say that when it's icy and you're sliding in an older Saturn, a side impact is better (if you are going pretty slow). Plastic body panels don't dent or cave in. :lol:

Rupert

r0tor

Quote from: JWC on February 26, 2009, 07:00:15 PM
They have an organization for you too Raza, it is called RTS, Retake the Streets, if I remember right.  It is the same as Critical Mass, but for car drivers.  They take over the streets proclaiming their ownership of roads over cyclists and pedestrians. I think they proclaim the automobile another step of the evolutionary ladder.

When cyclists start paying taxes for highway maintenance, then I would start to consider such an organization of having an ounce of credibility.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

r0tor

Quote from: Psilos on March 03, 2009, 07:00:34 PM
Bikes do almost no damage to roads.

mother nature does the most damage... bikers can help pay for the roads if they want to "own" them

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: JWC on February 26, 2009, 07:00:15 PM
My experience is the opposite, but maybe it is the area I'm in.  Pickup trucks tend to buzz me...almost all have big tires and lift kits.  I did have some woman cut me off during a left hand turn.  I took the lane, gave a hand signal for the turn and she drove around me, passing me on a double yellow and an intersection.  All because she "owned" the road as a car driver.  Bitch probably didn't expect me to chase her down.  Same with the old guy who almost ran over me trying to pass, same exact scenario, but different intersection.  He managed to brake just before he ran me over.   That was the last time I road without a mirror.  It was unfortunate for him also that we were in a twenty-five mph area.  I was on my road bike and pulled up beside him and told him to roll his window down, then told him what I thought of his driving skills.

These RTS people sound a bit unreasonable.  Human beings are born with legs, and don't have to wear stupid pants to use them.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

Quote from: r0tor on March 03, 2009, 10:51:28 AM
When cyclists start paying taxes for highway maintenance, then I would start to consider such an organization of having an ounce of credibility.

Look, we allowed cars to ride our bike roads at the turn of the last century.  Turns out car drivers damaged our roads, so it became necessary for those doing the damage to maintain the roadways to the condition cyclists had become accustomed to.   

r0tor

Quote from: JWC on March 04, 2009, 06:30:21 PM
Look, we allowed cars to ride our bike roads at the turn of the last century.  Turns out car drivers damaged our roads, so it became necessary for those doing the damage to maintain the roadways to the condition cyclists had become accustomed to.  

i'd like to see someone on a roadbike hit some of the potholes in PA from the freeze/thaw cycle... lol

The Pirate

Quote from: r0tor on March 05, 2009, 05:53:37 AM
i'd like to see someone on a roadbike hit some of the potholes in PA from the freeze/thaw cycle... lol

Any cyclist worth anything will be scanning out far enough to see it, and take appropriate action to avoid.  Or there's always a bunny hop.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

Why do roadies insist on riding on or as close to the fog line as possible?  In Michigan (at least in the UP), we have mostly 8 foot shoulders.  8 feet.  Yet they ride the white line.  It's annoying as hell.  I'm a biker (mountain, not road), and I ride as far to the right as possible...I'm not taking any chances.  And then there are the douche bags that ride on a busy 55-MPH road that HAS NO SHOULDER, just dirt...so these roadies are there riding IN the road, which has many blind curves, and people go 65, not 55.  It pisses me off.  They embarrass me. 

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 05, 2009, 07:40:25 AM
Why do roadies insist on riding on or as close to the fog line as possible?  In Michigan (at least in the UP), we have mostly 8 foot shoulders.  8 feet.  Yet they ride the white line.  It's annoying as hell.  I'm a biker (mountain, not road), and I ride as far to the right as possible...I'm not taking any chances.  And then there are the douche bags that ride on a busy 55-MPH road that HAS NO SHOULDER, just dirt...so these roadies are there riding IN the road, which has many blind curves, and people go 65, not 55.  It pisses me off.  They embarrass me. 

I ride more or less on the line because any further and the road isn't swept clean of debris by passing traffic, which means ruining your tires on rocks and things for roadies.  Plus, if there is no shoulder are bikes just supposed to not bother?  There are some beautiful back roads around where I live and I have no problem waiting for just a moment for traffic to clear and pass them.  My car also doesn't take up the whole lane, so I have no problem just putting my left wheels on the center stripe and passing them like that at a reasonable speed.  It wouldn't bother me as a biker to get passed like that either.

S204STi

:lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 08:38:13 AM
I ride more or less on the line because any further and the road isn't swept clean of debris by passing traffic, which means ruining your tires on rocks and things for roadies.  Plus, if there is no shoulder are bikes just supposed to not bother?  There are some beautiful back roads around where I live and I have no problem waiting for just a moment for traffic to clear and pass them.  My car also doesn't take up the whole lane, so I have no problem just putting my left wheels on the center stripe and passing them like that at a reasonable speed.  It wouldn't bother me as a biker to get passed like that either.

Swept clean of debris?  Jesus, I understand that your 87439-psi tires don't offer you the best ride out there, but for god's sake, the shoulder's there for a reason.  If I was a roadie, I'd probably ride close to the white line...but if a damn car was coming...I'd move over for a second to wait for a car to go by.  The thing that bothers me is when these douche bags don't move over when there's opposing traffic, especially when they have a gigantic shoulder for them to use.

Soup DeVille

I think that's an issue you have to take up with the horses.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 05:01:00 PM
I think that's an issue you have to take up with the horses.

I bet the horses were pissed for bikes taking up space on their roads.

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 08:38:13 AM

:ohyeah:

280Z Turbo

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 05, 2009, 12:00:21 PM
Swept clean of debris?  Jesus, I understand that your 87439-psi tires don't offer you the best ride out there, but for god's sake, the shoulder's there for a reason.  If I was a roadie, I'd probably ride close to the white line...but if a damn car was coming...I'd move over for a second to wait for a car to go by.  The thing that bothers me is when these douche bags don't move over when there's opposing traffic, especially when they have a gigantic shoulder for them to use.

You try riding a road bike over gravelly asphalt and get back to me on how well that works out.  Or sandy asphalt for that matter; on a curve you could easily wipe out on that stuff.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 05, 2009, 10:55:36 PM
I don't brake for arrogant cyclists.

Clothesline them with a hockey stick!  It's fun, and no one gets hurt.  Well, the cyclist gets hurt, but cyclists aren't people.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i