C&D Rx8 vs Solstice GXP coupe vs 135i vs 370z comparo

Started by 565, February 23, 2009, 04:04:27 PM

LonghornTX

My only two interests of these four are the 370z (delightful in that grabber blue esque hue, that looks pretty exotic when combined with the new curves of the 370) and the 135i.

The 370 is very sharp in person, in my opinion, with strong proprotions and aggressive curves. The interior is my favorite design of the four, with Infiniti looking controls, tasteful leather stitching, and subtle curves.

Having not driven the 370z yet, I can't comment on the specific application, but the one glaring fault of the G37s that I drove while at Infiniti was the exhaust note. It is pretty rough, and could be a deal killer without a remedy from the aftermarket. That aspect of the automotive experience is important to me... With that said, it is my favorite from a looks perspective and obviously has the highest limits in stock form, according to this test.

The 135i is a gem of a car to me, with a truly sublime powerplant that loves to rev, sounds great doing it, and makes power everywhere. The car is a mere software upgrade from 350hp, which is always appealing to me. In the interior, everything is in the right place, with just the right amount of support for me in the seats, and the car has very graceful, yet sharp responses when driven over imperfect public roads, at 5-6/10s.

I still prefered my Mustang though, reinforced the second I started it up. At its state of tune, it is sharper in response and more feral in sound than the Bimmer; just plain more fun. The stang, with its thick rear bar, can be steered with the throttle easily and in a controllable manner. The 135i tends towards understeer much too intensely for me, in stock form without a mechanical diff.

If things were a bit better in the world, I might consider looking seriously into the 370z, but right now, it stands in the "future, 6 years down the road" used car purchase category due to the market's uncontrollable  :pee: away of equity.

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: NomisR on February 23, 2009, 05:20:20 PM
Considering that the Rx8 is 5 years old and at the end of it's model life, it's not doing too bad.  They need to hurry up with the 3 spark plug direct injection Rotary..  I'm surprised they never introduced that initially with the Renesis (3 spark plug) when they found the trailing plug improved mileage to begin with.

yea never understood why either, I mean their race engine come with 3 and it's not like it's hard to develop it for commercial use especially if it's making more of a complete burn. And they've had them for DECADES.

I guess I'm in the minority, but the 1 series just looks like ass to me... it's like the ugly cousin of the 2002 3 series.

Really wish the rear hatch on the solstice was more functional, you know easy to see out of and easy to store stuff. But the 650 bucks to make the Solstice have 300hp is really really nice IMO. I'm not that big on open top fun so I'd probably glass in the targa top. I wish they had the figures for what the Solstice would do with the optional 300hp.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

cozmik

So here I am at work, and the pic with the Solstice in the front, the other 3 lined up in the back, is on the screen as I'm reading, and I hear this "ohhahw" and the manager of the department is standing behind me going about to cum himself going "that is beautiful"

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2009, 10:23:07 AM
he needs glasses

And I think Coz needs a new boss.  Or at least he needs to get better at hiding non-work related surfing.

Or maybe just some sort of towel.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: cozmik on February 24, 2009, 10:20:19 AM
So here I am at work, and the pic with the Solstice in the front, the other 3 lined up in the back, is on the screen as I'm reading, and I hear this "ohhahw" and the manager of the department is standing behind me going about to cum himself going "that is beautiful"

Personally I think it's a pretty hot car too. 

Onslaught

Quote from: Sigma Projects on February 24, 2009, 04:51:15 AM

I guess I'm in the minority, but the 1 series just looks like ass to me... it's like the ugly cousin of the 2002 3 series.

I'm with you.

NomisR

Quote from: Sigma Projects on February 24, 2009, 04:51:15 AM
yea never understood why either, I mean their race engine come with 3 and it's not like it's hard to develop it for commercial use especially if it's making more of a complete burn. And they've had them for DECADES.

Really wish the rear hatch on the solstice was more functional, you know easy to see out of and easy to store stuff. But the 650 bucks to make the Solstice have 300hp is really really nice IMO. I'm not that big on open top fun so I'd probably glass in the targa top. I wish they had the figures for what the Solstice would do with the optional 300hp.

1 series is ugly too me too.  I wish they brought the 1 series hatchback over.  While just as ugly, at least you get room.  It makes a lot more sense than the coupe. 

As for Solstice, their biggest problem I think is heat.  Most of them can't even finish 1 track session without the engines over heating and they have to drive around with the heater on to vent heat into the cabins in 100+ degree weather, great fun..

sportyaccordy

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 24, 2009, 02:25:14 PM
They should have based the 1 series on the Z4.

Then it would have just been the Z coupe, which already exists. In 4 door trim(hatch) it would look like a mazda 3. Granted i'm just saying this since i personally wouldn't complain.

The 1er is by far the WORST looking current bmw IMO. The stlying just doesn't fit the size of car.

CALL_911

Should I go Wimmer on your asses and tell you all that you're dead wrong, because the 135i is a natural evolution from the esteemed 2002? :evildude:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

i'll take the looks of the 1er over the solstice coupe any day
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2009, 05:01:36 PM
i'll take the looks of the 1er over the solstice coupe any day
Well the Solstice coupe is so ugly it hurts. The BMW just makes me sick a little.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on February 24, 2009, 05:16:29 PM
Well the Solstice coupe is so ugly it hurts. The BMW just makes me sick a little.
The Solstice Coupe is hot.

r0tor

MX793

Would have been nice to have seen the '10 Mustang and Genesis in this group.  I'm guessing we'll probably see those two pitted against the Z and maybe the Camaro in a comparo later this year.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Heh, I think the 1 is the best looking BMW made today.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on February 24, 2009, 07:56:25 PM

Coming from you i'm not surprised.

MidnightDave

Okay, you've pushed me over the edge. The MINI is going and I'm buying a Z...
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Sigma Projects

Quote from: NomisR on February 24, 2009, 02:00:25 PM
1 series is ugly too me too.  I wish they brought the 1 series hatchback over.  While just as ugly, at least you get room.  It makes a lot more sense than the coupe. 

As for Solstice, their biggest problem I think is heat.  Most of them can't even finish 1 track session without the engines over heating and they have to drive around with the heater on to vent heat into the cabins in 100+ degree weather, great fun..

really? That sucks, I guess one of the first mods to one would be to get a huge multi core radiator. Do you know if it is just the cooling system that's inadequate or is it because the water passage design in the block sucks?
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on February 24, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
Would have been nice to have seen the '10 Mustang and Genesis in this group.  I'm guessing we'll probably see those two pitted against the Z and maybe the Camaro in a comparo later this year.
The Camaro is never coming out. :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on February 24, 2009, 07:56:25 PM

I find it odd looking, but that doesnt mean I wouldn't buy one.  I like it quite a bit despite the bizarre looks.

afty

I agree with the "1 is ugly" crowd.  The proportions are all wrong.  It's too small to have such large wheels, and the greenhouse is too large.

Raza

Quote from: afty on February 25, 2009, 09:52:36 AM
I agree with the "1 is ugly" crowd.  The proportions are all wrong.  It's too small to have such large wheels, and the greenhouse is too large.

The glasshouse size is what turns most people off about newer cars; they're too small, leaving you with mailslots to look out of while driving. 

The 1 series looks like a BMW of yore, just flame surfaced.  Yes, the uprightness of it and the taller glasshouse make it very attractive to me.  I do indeed see the visual connection to the 2002, and I like it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: cozmik on February 24, 2009, 10:20:19 AM

:lol:

BimmerM3

I'm actually with Raza on the looks of the 1 series. As far as how I'd place these cars, if I had to choose without getting to drive them, I'd pick the 1er for the added practicality of the back seat and, well, my bias towards BMWs. That said, if I were actually comparing these cars in the real world, I take a good drive in the top three and pretend that the Solstice was never mentioned.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17754.msg1006726#msg1006726 date=1235589088
The glasshouse size is what turns most people off about newer cars; they're too small, leaving you with mailslots to look out of while driving. 

The 1 series looks like a BMW of yore, just flame surfaced.  Yes, the uprightness of it and the taller glasshouse make it very attractive to me.  I do indeed see the visual connection to the 2002, and I like it. 

Oddly enough I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Laconian

Is the greenhouse larger than the 3 series, or does it just appear taller because the 1er's greenhouse:length ratio is greater?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on February 25, 2009, 05:45:06 PM
Is the greenhouse larger than the 3 series, or does it just appear taller because the 1er's greenhouse:length ratio is greater?

I believe the 1er is a bit taller than the 3er.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 25, 2009, 08:19:05 AM
The Camaro is never coming out. :lol:

People keep saying that, but every other day autoblog seems to have something that says otherwise.