Uh oh, driving shoe thread!

Started by Rupert, February 24, 2009, 10:21:09 PM

Rupert

What's the deal with driving shoes? I see three sorts of non-race shoes. There's the Pilotis, all dolled up in side rubber for heel-toe-ing, the Speed Cats, which seem to think they're driving shoes, and what I can only guess are the "classic" sort, which look like formal/casual shoes with blocks on the bottom. Are any of these, other than the Pilotis, worth anything?

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Whatever. I heel-toe better with snow boots on.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on February 24, 2009, 10:27:58 PM
Ha, I'm using Chuck Taylor's now. :lol:

I do not understand those shoes. They're like slippers with laces, only not comfortable and more expensive.

Rupert

And still the cheapest thing in the mall. And they're pretty comfy once you break them in.

Eye of the Tiger

I suppose I wouldn't mind a pair of Piloti Prototipos, but I have better things to spend $85 on.

Rupert

Indeed. I'm not gonna buy driving shoes if they cost more than the shoes I'd buy anyway (or I can't wear them around).

Cookie Monster

I like the pumas but they are probably too expensive for me and I don't drive anyways.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

BimmerM3

I had a pair of Prototipos that I really liked. The tread on the bottom is very thin, so if you wear them around on a regular basis, they wear out pretty quickly. I liked them though... Pretty comfortable and what not.

I've never owned SpeedCats or driving loafers.

r0tor

I have some Addidas Adiracers...

Driving shoes tend to have thinner and harder soles so they transmit pedal feel better

The indoor soccer shoe classic from Addidas (the Samba) is also a great driving shoe and pretty cheap to boot.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cozmik

I have 3 pairs of the Pilotis actually. I rather like them.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Lebowski

I like pilotis, they're comfortable to walk around in and to drive in.

This thread reminds me I should dig mine out of my closet, I haven't worn them in awhile.

Raza

I have a pair of Pilotis, but I like my Puma Speedcats better.  And, surprisingly, my Steve Madden Drifters (driving loafers) have the best feel out of all of them.

And yes, they absolutely make a difference.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on February 25, 2009, 01:16:23 AM
I like the pumas but they are probably too expensive for me and I don't drive anyways.

No, I supposed you'd need biking shoes.  Here's a good pair:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

I have the speedcats since they're simpler looking and cheaper than pilotis.  But they're absolutely horrible to walk in, I can be walking barefooted and it would feel the same. 

But then agian, I like driving barefooted too.

Speed_Racer

I bought a pair of normal Pumas. They were way cheap, but a bit skinnier than regular sneakers, so they make it easier working the pedals.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

I wear apair of Piloti Strasses when I take long trips. I use them for three reasons:

For starters, they don't wear down the carpet the way a set of workboots or hard soled dress shoes do,they are easy to slip on and off, so when my real shoes are allmuddy, their easy to change, and they're really low profile, which gives me an effectivehalf inch more of legroom.

I'm not sold on any sort of pedal feel/ ease of driving/ heel and toe advanatges, but I like them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FlatBlackCaddy

I've had pilotis, really like them. Was a good all around shoe with a roll heal and thinner sole for driving. I have a pair of adidas now that are pretty good to. I want a pair of pumas but the ones i'm looking at are more than i want to spend(over 150 iirc, black label king re-luxe sport).

Anyway i'll certainly buy another pair of pilotis. They came out with a few more designs since i last bought so i have a few more options.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 25, 2009, 12:53:13 PM
I have the speedcats since they're simpler looking and cheaper than pilotis.  But they're absolutely horrible to walk in, I can be walking barefooted and it would feel the same. 

But then agian, I like driving barefooted too.

I liked the barefoot feeling of the Speedcats.  My Drifters are even thinner.  Of course I don't go running in them (I have running shoes), nor do I go hiking in them (...if I went hiking, I'd buy hiking boots), but for their purpose, they're the best I've used.  However, they wear quickly and soak through at the first sign of a cloud.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Psilos on February 24, 2009, 10:21:09 PM

I have that same pair of Minnetonka moccasins in my car so I don't have to drive in my boots.

dazzleman

Any sneaker that small and light is a good driving shoe.  I don't see the need for a special pair of driving shoes.  Sneakers that can also be used for running, or at least walking, work fine.

I hate to drive in bulky shoes, but I don't really have any bulky shoes anymore anyway.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Yeah, the Chuck's are a bit floppy, but they work pretty well.

I'm too tall to heel-and-toe anyway. :lol:

Rupert

Speed Cats...

I'm not old enough/don't smoke a pipe often enough to pull of loafers. :lol:

MrH

I have a pair of Puma driving shoes.  They make for some pretty good driving shoes (good feel through the fore foot, with a stiff, thin heel that's easy to pivot off of for heal toe'in).  They suck to walk in though.

Oh, now that I think of it, I have a pair of Puma Ferrari driving shoes too.  I don't wear them often.  They're a special occassion kind of shoe in the summer usually.

I like driving in Nike Free's a lot.  They're super flexible, and very similar to running barefoot.  Makes for good driving shoes.

I think I'm going to get a pair of these this weekend.  Probably in a different color.  I'm getting them for running purposes.  Should make for awesome driving shoes too.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on February 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
I have a pair of Puma driving shoes.  They make for some pretty good driving shoes (good feel through the fore foot, with a stiff, thin heel that's easy to pivot off of for heal toe'in).  They suck to walk in though.

Oh, now that I think of it, I have a pair of Puma Ferrari driving shoes too.  I don't wear them often.  They're a special occassion kind of shoe in the summer usually.

I like driving in Nike Free's a lot.  They're super flexible, and very similar to running barefoot.  Makes for good driving shoes.

I think I'm going to get a pair of these this weekend.  Probably in a different color.  I'm getting them for running purposes.  Should make for awesome driving shoes too.

Those look like shit.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on February 25, 2009, 08:07:53 PM
Speed Cats...

I'm not old enough/don't smoke a pipe often enough to pull of loafers. :lol:

They look great with jeans.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on February 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM

Those would annoy the fuck out of me.  I can't have anything between my toes.

And Nike Frees are too wide to be proper driving shoes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on February 25, 2009, 08:15:12 PM
Those look like shit.

Like I said, I'm getting them for running purposes.  I really don't care how they look.  It's about as close as you can get to running barefoot without cutting up your feet.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on February 25, 2009, 08:17:45 PM
Those would annoy the fuck out of me.  I can't have anything between my toes.

And Nike Frees are too wide to be proper driving shoes.

They're a little wide.  My pedals aren't all that close though, so I don't have much of a problem with it.

In a car with a more cramped foot well, they probably wouldn't work so well.

I'll post a review of those bizarre shoes once I get them.  I think I'm going on Friday to get a pair.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited