Uh oh, driving shoe thread!

Started by Rupert, February 24, 2009, 10:21:09 PM

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on February 25, 2009, 08:20:58 PM
Like I said, I'm getting them for running purposes.  I really don't care how they look.  It's about as close as you can get to running barefoot without cutting up your feet.
I guess, but I'd never wear those in public. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Minpin

I wear my sperrys pretty much every day. I dont need anything fancy.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Laconian

Those toe-shoes are awesome. Cyborg feet!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

Quote from: Minpin on February 25, 2009, 11:50:05 PM
I wear my sperrys pretty much every day. I dont need anything fancy.

Top-siders?  They pretty comfy?  I've been meaning to get a pair.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

i tend to bigtoe-littletoe rather then heel-toe on my downshifts... the speeedcats really don't work too well for that
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on February 26, 2009, 12:01:29 AM
Top-siders?  They pretty comfy?  I've been meaning to get a pair.

I tried a pair of Topsiders out once.  Incredibly uncomfortable for me.  13s were flopping off the back of my foot like sandals, and 12s were too small to wear. 

Hopefully your experience is better.  Maybe I'll try them out again, because I really like the look of boat shoes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17772.msg1007581#msg1007581 date=1235654521
I tried a pair of Topsiders out once.  Incredibly uncomfortable for me.  13s were flopping off the back of my foot like sandals, and 12s were too small to wear. 

Hopefully your experience is better.  Maybe I'll try them out again, because I really like the look of boat shoes.

I had the same experience.  Maybe I didn't buy the right kind, but they were terrible to walk in, always slipping off in the back.  I hate that.  Sneakers rule.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

I tried these before:

They felt pretty good, but it rained that day and they turned my socks red.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 28, 2009, 10:50:57 AM
I tried these before:

RED SOCKS = WIN
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

I tried these before:

Embroider a Ferrari emblem on the socks and sell them for $1000. :huh:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

I tried these before:

Those look like women's boots.... :huh:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on February 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
I have a pair of Puma driving shoes.  They make for some pretty good driving shoes (good feel through the fore foot, with a stiff, thin heel that's easy to pivot off of for heal toe'in).  They suck to walk in though.

Oh, now that I think of it, I have a pair of Puma Ferrari driving shoes too.  I don't wear them often.  They're a special occassion kind of shoe in the summer usually.

I like driving in Nike Free's a lot.  They're super flexible, and very similar to running barefoot.  Makes for good driving shoes.

I think I'm going to get a pair of these this weekend.  Probably in a different color.  I'm getting them for running purposes.  Should make for awesome driving shoes too.

I found those extremely annoying but I guess one would get used to them after a while. You might want to give the Nike free series a try. Best running shoe I ever had. Not everyone agrees of course.

Tave

Quote from: MrH on February 25, 2009, 08:20:58 PM
Like I said, I'm getting them for running purposes.  I really don't care how they look.  It's about as close as you can get to running barefoot without cutting up your feet.

Why do you want to run barefoot?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on February 28, 2009, 02:06:32 PM

He clearly enjoys physical pain.  :devil:

MrH

Quote from: Galaxy on February 28, 2009, 11:28:06 AM
I found those extremely annoying but I guess one would get used to them after a while. You might want to give the Nike free series a try. Best running shoe I ever had. Not everyone agrees of course.

Well, I bought a pair yesterday, and loved them.  If you read my previous post, I've had tons of pairs of nike free's  (I'm on my third pair).

These are even more minimalistic.  Driving with them is perfect too.  They look bizarre, and I can't really wear them with pants though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Tave on February 28, 2009, 02:06:32 PM

http://www.barefootrunner.com/barefoot-101/

I never had any leg problems when I wore Nike Frees.  Now, I strike pretty heel heavy, and my running form and arch strength really starts breaking down after playing for 2 or 3 hours.  It's mostly for injury prevention.

It wasn't until my shin splints got real bad last year that I started running barefoot.  Warming up a mile or two without shoes on and I was fine, but straight to cleats or running shoes, and my shins killed.  I think running in theses 2 or 3 times a week will help.  It's something new and interesting to try too.

This is the color and style I got.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on February 28, 2009, 02:37:17 PM

I never had any leg problems when I wore Nike Frees.  Now, I strike pretty heel heavy, and my running form and arch strength really starts breaking down after playing for 2 or 3 hours.  It's mostly for injury prevention.

It wasn't until my shin splints got real bad last year that I started running barefoot.  Warming up a mile or two without shoes on and I was fine, but straight to cleats or running shoes, and my shins killed.  I think running in theses 2 or 3 times a week will help.  It's something new and interesting to try too.

This is the color and style I got.

So basically barefoot just makes you run on your toes/ball of your foot, which is how you should run anyway.

Tave

Quote from: MrH on February 28, 2009, 02:37:17 PM

I think running barefoot would hurt my balls and arches something awful, but to each his own. My only argument with that article is that shoes don't make someone roll from heel to toe, neither would someone running barefoot always run on their toes (just like a shoe, the slower the pace, the more heel in the stride).

That site is a little suspect, and it seems perfectly oblivious to the fact that without shoes, you fuck up your feet.

"Be injury free thanks to proper foot and body mechanics"

:rolleyes:

"Running shoes 'shield' your feet and body from the natural cushioning it?s designed for, thus increasing impact on your body than you realize."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(sloppy editing, anyone?)
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Galaxy

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 01:17:18 PM
That site is a little suspect, and it seems perfectly oblivious to the fact that without shoes, you fuck up your feet.

Running bare foot strengthens the muscles in your foot in a way that running with shoes doesn not. Indeed there are people who have sick feet because they ware shoes all the time.

Tave

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Galaxy on March 01, 2009, 01:32:20 PM
Running bare foot strengthens the muscles in your foot in a way that running with shoes doesn not. Indeed there are people who have sick feet because they ware shoes all the time.

Then why does doctorz give me BIGGER shoe parts when my feet/legs get broken?

Galaxy

Quote from: NACar on March 01, 2009, 01:35:50 PM
Then why does doctorz give me BIGGER shoe parts when my feet/legs get broken?

Keyword being broken. Do you think the human race was born with shoes? The are many people today who can barely walk without shoes with special inserts.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Galaxy on March 01, 2009, 01:47:01 PM
Keyword being broken. Do you think the human race was born with shoes? The are many people today who can barely walk without shoes with special inserts.

Yes, the human race was born with shoes.

Tave

I love the argument that the human race has evolved to run barefoot.

hotrodalex

Okay, I'll start running barefoot if you start massaging and putting lotion on my feet every night.

MrH

Shoes don't make you run heel heavy, however, running with shoes doesn't build up the same strength in your foot and calves like running barefoot does.  I can run and play sports on my toes for the first while, but after an hour or two, my arches and calves start breaking down, and that's when I start to run a little heel heavy.

Shoes are so big and cushioned in the heel, running heel heavy doesn't even feel bad.  Barefoot, you physically can't do it without destroying your heel.

Running barefoot forces you to run with near perfect form.  There's a reason why a lot of third world country runners that run barefoot have significantly less shin and foot problems than those who wear over-padded running shoes.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 01, 2009, 01:57:52 PM
Okay, I'll start running barefoot if you start massaging and putting lotion on my feet every night.

But it strengthens your foot muscles!

Well yeah--you also risk puncture wounds, lacerations, bruising, snake bites, etc... :lol:

MrH

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 02:02:16 PM
But it strengthens your foot muscles!

Well yeah--you also risk puncture wounds, lacerations, bruising, snake bites, etc... :lol:

That's why someone invented the shoes I just bought...
And there are soft fields to run in you know.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 02:01:57 PM
Shoes don't make you run heel heavy, however, running with shoes doesn't build up the same strength in your foot and calves like running barefoot does.  I can run and play sports on my toes for the first while, but after an hour or two, my arches and calves start breaking down, and that's when I start to run a little heel heavy.

Since you seem to be into weird training gimmicks:

MrH

I haven't been displeased with any of the "gimmicks" I've tried.  I hardly call them gimmicks then.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited