Uh oh, driving shoe thread!

Started by Rupert, February 24, 2009, 10:21:09 PM

Tave

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 02:03:59 PM
That's why someone invented the shoes I just bought...

Well obviously it mitigates the cuts, but bruising and arches would still be a problem, at least for me. I can't run in soles like that for very long: 400 meters.

QuoteAnd there are soft fields to run in you know.

Sure, and they even come with a decent sprinkling of Sharp Scattered Stone and Splintered Stick. :ohyeah:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 02:09:40 PM
Well obviously it mitigates the cuts, but bruising and arches would still be a problem, at least for me. I can't run in soles like that for very long: 400 meters.

Sure, and they even come with a decent sprinkling of Sharp Scattered Stone and Splintered Stick. :ohyeah:

I got by this whole summer warming up barefoot.  A small knick here and there but nothing major.

That's the point of the shoes though.  To strengthen your arches so it's not a problem.  It'll make your running form improve greatly even when wearing "normal" shoes.  If you can't run barefoot for more than 400 meters without your feet bruising really bad, your running form needs work.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 02:07:29 PM
I haven't been displeased with any of the "gimmicks" I've tried.  I hardly call them gimmicks then.

But you enjoy physical pain, so the fact that you're not displeased doesn't necessarily reassure the rest of us, man..... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 02:04:22 PM
Since you seem to be into weird training gimmicks:

Jimmy's got some new moves... check Jimmy out!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 02:14:44 PM
If you can't run barefoot for more than 400 meters without your feet bruising really bad, your running form needs work.

This comming from the guy with the unhealthy running form who needs the special shoes. :rolleyes:

I DON'T need them bro, because my shins and feet don't hurt when I run.

400 meters was a rough cut-off, which I used because in the runner's world, it's right on the edge between a sprint and a jog. Let's go back to one of your points.

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 02:01:57 PM
Shoes are so big and cushioned in the heel, running heel heavy doesn't even feel bad.  Barefoot, you physically can't do it without destroying your heel.

You say this, but you don't seem to understand what it means. Shoes enable us to do more work, to push ourselves further and harder, than we could barefoot.

Look at track spikes. Long distance spikes come with a heel padding and sprint spikes don't, because you will run on your toes during a sprint, but you won't in the 3000 meters.

Ergo, for runs longer than 400 meters, I would probably want some heel support.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 02:23:30 PM

This comming from the guy with the unhealthy running form who needs the special shoes. :rolleyes:

I DON'T need them bro, because my shins and feet don't hurt when I run.

400 meters was a rough cut-off, which I used because in the runner's world, it's right on the edge between a sprint and a jog. Let's go back to one of your points.

You say this, but you don't seem to understand what it means. Shoes enable us to do more work, to push ourselves further and harder, than we could barefoot.

Look at track spikes. Long distance spikes come with a heel padding and sprint spikes don't, because you will run on your toes during a sprint, but you won't in the 3000 meters.

Ergo, for runs longer than 400 meters, I would probably want some heel support.

Apples to oranges.  You don't put nearly the amount of miles or punishment on your legs that I do.

Shoes enable us to do more work.  But you're not doing it properly.  Rely on cushioned, supportive shoes enough, and your feet will break down.  Read the article Galaxy posted, it's very informative.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 02:41:36 PM
You don't put nearly the amount of miles or punishment on your legs that I do.

How could you possibly know this?

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 02:59:06 PM
How could you possibly know this?

Because nobody inflicts as much punishment on himself as MrH.  It's a pretty safe assumption you don't..... :lol:

[j/k Mike]
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on March 01, 2009, 03:03:58 PM
Because nobody inflicts as much punishment on himself as MrH.  It's a pretty safe assumption you don't..... :lol:

[j/k Mike]

I mean, honestly, yeah.  It is a pretty safe assumption.  If I'm wrong, by all means, correct me, but I highly doubt I am.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 03:22:01 PM
I mean, honestly, yeah.  It is a pretty safe assumption.  If I'm wrong, by all means, correct me, but I highly doubt I am.

You must have been one of those kids who deliberately did stuff wrong, because you looked forward to the beating from your dad...... :evildude:

Rupert

So that article is basically saying that my crappy unsupported Chucks are way better for my feet than my $85 Merrells or my $150 hiking boots. Sweet, now I'm a chump.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 03:22:01 PM

LOL

I'll say this for your five-toed foot condom: it would make a great driving shoe. My TIVA river shoes do and they look very similar, but I wouldn't want to walk around in either, and I don't like to switch between pairs.

Raza

Why are we talking about running shoes in a driving shoes thread?  They're complete opposites.

And for the record, I run in New Balance 993s, which replace my 606s and my Nike Air Crap Editions.  Fuckers fucked up my foot for over a year.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

so you you wear ultragay toe socks with your toes shoes?  :popcorn:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

Yep, those toe socks are really into other toe socks. They're ultra into other toe socks, even!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

Gay men usually have better fashion sense than that.

Soup DeVille

Speaking of driving shoes, I'm having to wear my Pilotis at work right now, as my regular boots are caked with horse shit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

I bought a pair of driving shoes, but I hardly ever wear them because I never remember to change into them when I'm going to drive.  And since they're only good for driving, they're just an extra marginally necessary thing to pack on a trip.  So I just wear regular sneakers for driving almost all the time.

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on February 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
I have a pair of Puma driving shoes.  They make for some pretty good driving shoes (good feel through the fore foot, with a stiff, thin heel that's easy to pivot off of for heal toe'in).  They suck to walk in though.

Oh, now that I think of it, I have a pair of Puma Ferrari driving shoes too.  I don't wear them often.  They're a special occassion kind of shoe in the summer usually.

I like driving in Nike Free's a lot.  They're super flexible, and very similar to running barefoot.  Makes for good driving shoes.

I think I'm going to get a pair of these this weekend.  Probably in a different color.  I'm getting them for running purposes.  Should make for awesome driving shoes too.

I got a pair of those and they're pretty cool for walking around in.  I had plantar fasciitis and my foot doctor recommended them.  I never thought of driving in them.

Rupert

I have some Speedcats. Meh, not even all that good for driving, IMO. My regular shoes are better.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on June 29, 2014, 06:35:01 PM
I have some Speedcats. Meh, not even all that good for driving, IMO. My regular shoes are better.

I think regular shoes are fine, as long as they're not clunky.  Driving shoes are a waste.  And rarely is there a situation where I ONLY drive.  I'm driving to some other activity.  Should I have to carry two pairs of shoes with me whenever I'm driving somewhere?  It's awkward and a waste of time and space.

hotrodalex

I had faster autocross times the day I was wearing my normal Nikes (technically skate shoes...) than my Adidas driving shoes.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on June 29, 2014, 06:38:55 PM
I think regular shoes are fine, as long as they're not clunky.  Driving shoes are a waste.  And rarely is there a situation where I ONLY drive.  I'm driving to some other activity.  Should I have to carry two pairs of shoes with me whenever I'm driving somewhere?  It's awkward and a waste of time and space.

Even for driving, meh. They hurt if I wear them for long distance driving, too, which is kind of the point.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on June 29, 2014, 07:10:41 PM
Even for driving, meh. They hurt if I wear them for long distance driving, too, which is kind of the point.

That defeats the whole purpose.

Rupert

12,000 RPM

Everyone can't be Keichii. However, Gan San proves you don't need knee high Asiics to lay down a respectable lap time.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

I still love wearing Speedcats.  Basically anything with a thin sole will do, as long as they're not too wide and the footwell isn't too narrow. 

And Dave, you don't wear them just to drive.  I used to wear my driving loafers all day every day I worked. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

I used to have a pair of Pilotis for the S2000: because driving that with my workboots on just didn't work. They were like a loafer, with  low cut heel on the back and could be slipped on and off very quickly; totally comfortable too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

The Pilotis look real cool.  Where do you get them?  Amazon hardly has any and all in very small sizes.  Zappos doesn't sell them (my usual go to site for shoe shopping).  Is there any particular online retailer you guys use?